fully OT: Pajero or FJ cruiser

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

guctony

fully OT: Pajero or FJ cruiser

Post by guctony »

Hello My question is for those who live in Dessert area who use daily drive for dessert off roading and daily work drive. Is there anybody driving FJ cruiser or Mitsubishi Pajero 3.8. Which one would you prefer. I planing to buy one of them. is there some advice I can get.
"Unless a nation's life faces peril, war is murder."
"Sovereignty is not given, it is taken."
"After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well."
Mustafa Kemal
kaleun

RE: fully OT: Pajero or FJ cruiser

Post by kaleun »

FJ cruiser. I bought a yellow one when it first came out and have been very happy with it. It is awesome, unless you actually like to look out of it. It doesn't have any blind spots though it has a few spots where you can look out of. Try and get it with the big all terrain tires. They last forever.
Also do you want a truck whose name means w*nker? (That's what pajero means in Spanish)
Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu
Schanilec

Post by Schanilec »

Well it all depends. Will you be off-roading through say jello, pudding, cake or pie. So you may be considering to go through ice cream. Tires are as important as the type vehicle. Add toppings like sprinkles, then a lift kit comes into play.[;)][:D]
This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.
guctony

Post by guctony »

ORIGINAL: Schanilec

Well it all depends. Will you be off-roading through say jello, pudding, cake or pie. So you may be considering to go through ice cream. Tires are as important as the type vehicle. Add toppings like sprinkles, then a lift kit comes into play.[;)][:D]

Well plan is to go offroad every weekend. With increasing difficulty every time. Final plan is to go one week real dessert crossover after six month. But Same car must take me to work with full comfort and drivebility,
Mustafa Kemal
Schanilec

Post by Schanilec »

So is that pie country out there?[;)]
This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.
guctony

Post by guctony »

I am currently In Saudi Arabia for work. And Will stay here for at least 3 years. There is 3 big dessert connected to each other from north to south. I planning to cross them over. in one trip.
Mustafa Kemal
Califvol

Post by Califvol »

I live in the circumstances described, BUT in the USA. The answer is:

Jeep, Wrangler.

I use it for commuting and off road. It's a 40 mile one way commute and off road means by golly genuine off road in the desert, up and down hills, mountains, dry streams and assundry other items.

Good Luck!

P.S. I would add that if you are going to do some real off road driving, it's just a matter of time/miles/driving style before you break something major. So, what are the logistics to get parts/repair for which vehicle? That should also be a big consideration as to which vehicle you want to go with.

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am such a special snowflake that others need my knowledge. What…there are like a billion snowflakes? Oh, well isn't that special.
rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

I've used a Toyota pickup for everyday driving and Bear hunting. If I couldn't get my truck somewhere, I didn't need to be there.

This was snow/mountain terrain, though. I've never done desert.
DOCUP

Post by DOCUP »

FJs are famous for their off road ability. They may not be the prettiest thing out there but they will get you to where you want to go.  I also know that FJs have a lot of modding capabilities. Toyotas are built to last.  I know when I was in that area and other areas Toyota parts were easy to come by.  What type of FJ are you looking at.  I know SA has deep sand and I think some rocky areas also. Not for sure.  Big fat tires help in the sand, locker will help, good tires (Nitto tires are great on and off road and last around 60k miles). 

Itdepends

Post by Itdepends »

I don't do a lot of off roading- I do own an old Pajero 3.8 with 340,00km on the clock. It goes well but their a b#$ch to work on- very tight clearances. In looking for a replacement I've been considering the Suzuki Sierra as they are very good off road. Not so comfortable on road at highway speeds and only good for 2 people really. Note I ride a motorbike almost everywhere- so I prefer small and zippy - ok so a Sierra isn't zippy but at least it's small.

The ultimate own for me (not justified) would be a Toyota GXL Landcruiser.

wdolson

Post by wdolson »

My SO loves Subarus. She gave away her 96 Outback to her ex-husband when she bought a 2013 Impreza. She loves the AWD and the Impreza is a little hotrod. It has the same power and torque as my V-8 Buick. Amazing output from such a small engine.

We don't do any offroad really, but Subaru has a successful history with off road rallying.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
DOCUP

Post by DOCUP »

Impreza's are great cars.  I love my Tacoma, great on and offroad.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: guctony

I am currently In Saudi Arabia for work. And Will stay here for at least 3 years. There is 3 big dessert connected to each other from north to south. I planning to cross them over. in one trip.

The best dessert I ever saw was the one in much of Oregon. The best desert I ever had was rhubarb pie with whipped cream on top. [:'(]

guctony

Post by guctony »

ORIGINAL: DOCUP

FJs are famous for their off road ability. They may not be the prettiest thing out there but they will get you to where you want to go.  I also know that FJs have a lot of modding capabilities. Toyotas are built to last.  I know when I was in that area and other areas Toyota parts were easy to come by.  What type of FJ are you looking at.  I know SA has deep sand and I think some rocky areas also. Not for sure.  Big fat tires help in the sand, locker will help, good tires (Nitto tires are great on and off road and last around 60k miles). 

I am going for full option FJ cruiser lock diff and all. Also they offer aftermarket lift kit, winch, tires etc as a factory option. But when you add all it becomes 200 000 riyal something like 65.000 USD. When I go full option Mtsubishi pajero there is no lift kit etc but it cost around 120000 Riyal which is around 40 000 USD. Which is big differance for me.

Pajero comes with rear diff lock, central diff lock full independent suspension 4 different offroad drive mode and computer controlled hill decent mode and other additional electronic assist for different conditions. An I can go to aftermarke lift blocks for 4 cm without modifying underneath so I can go to 33 inch tires very easly. Only Installing the winch and front bumber is abit difficult.
Mustafa Kemal
guctony

Post by guctony »

ORIGINAL: Itdepends

I don't do a lot of off roading- I do own an old Pajero 3.8 with 340,00km on the clock. It goes well but their a b#$ch to work on- very tight clearances. In looking for a replacement I've been considering the Suzuki Sierra as they are very good off road. Not so comfortable on road at highway speeds and only good for 2 people really. Note I ride a motorbike almost everywhere- so I prefer small and zippy - ok so a Sierra isn't zippy but at least it's small.

The ultimate own for me (not justified) would be a Toyota GXL Landcruiser.

No Suzuki Sierra here and also size matters. As I am in construction bussiness bigger is needed every case. Also I will need it for my family so a 4 door is a must. And Here you have to go for biggest safest car. Because It is real miracle that These Saudi drivers are not killing each other twice a day. If you take them for a drive in destruction derby you fill find they more ready for it. Driving in middle of dessert is accually safer then streets.
Mustafa Kemal
guctony

Post by guctony »

Impreza's are great cars.  I love my Tacoma, great on and offroad.

Unfortunately there is no Tacoma here/ Also foreign people can not buy or drive pickups without special permission. Which is very difficult to get.
Mustafa Kemal
guctony

Post by guctony »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

ORIGINAL: guctony

The best dessert I ever saw was the one in much of Oregon. The best desert I ever had was rhubarb pie with whipped cream on top. [:'(]

Come on man What kind of lizard are you. :)
Mustafa Kemal
DOCUP

Post by DOCUP »

Thats a big difference in price. As you said above size and biggest are required that comes with a price. What kinda lift and tires are they offering on the FJ? Hilux's are overseas and they are a beast. i would love to own one of them. I am pretty sure you can get 33s on FJs w/out a lift kit on it. I might be wrong. Now the question is can you get a cheaper FJ and have all the lift, winch etc put on cheaper. I know in the states you can for a lot cheaper and its better than what comes on the stock trucks.

Pajero all that electronic stuff is nice but usually that breaks first in my experience. The lift blocks do you mean spacers? If you do spacers will make the ride rougher and wear down faster than the other types of lifts. Again I don't know much about the Pajero.

guctony

Post by guctony »

Thats a big difference in price. As you said above size and biggest are required that comes with a price. What kinda lift and tires are they offering on the FJ? Hilux's are overseas and they are a beast. i would love to own one of them. I am pretty sure you can get 33s on FJs w/out a lift kit on it. I might be wrong. Now the question is can you get a cheaper FJ and have all the lift, winch etc put on cheaper. I know in the states you can for a lot cheaper and its better than what comes on the stock trucks.

Pajero all that electronic stuff is nice but usually that breaks first in my experience. The lift blocks do you mean spacers? If you do spacers will make the ride rougher and wear down faster than the other types of lifts. Again I don't know much about the Pajero.

In my home I drive a mildly modified Hilux for 5 years I am really happy with it.Also here you have 2.7 gas engine option which is better then my 2.5 diesel. But In Saudi Arabia You cannot drive pickups without special permission. Also full option hilux is 120000 riyal which is same as pajero. Otherwise Ford Raptor was my first option. Cheaper FJ modification is not an option because this option is factory offering which makes you keep original insurance and 3 year guaranty. That why it is expansive.

Yest I mean spacer. which wears quicly but you can replace cheaply. And I am hoping that in one year I will sell it before too much problem. As much as I read I found that Pajero is trouble free for two years at least. If you dont abuse it too much
Mustafa Kemal
DOCUP

Post by DOCUP »

For one year I think either would be fine mechanically. I would love to have the Hilux in the US. Theres talk of new engines comeing out. It might be better to get the Pajero, with the price and mod it the way you want. I just got a new Tacoma and I'm starting to mod mine.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”