Black's Sci-fi Music Mod

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

BlackAlpha

Black's Sci-fi Music Mod

Post by BlackAlpha »

Download Black's Sci-fi Music Mod:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ej6yy ... Mod_v2.rar

This mod replaces the background and event music with new, high quality, sci-fi themed tracks. I've carefully chosen music that is of high quality and I've remixed some tracks to make the music fit better into the game. If you like sci-fi or space themed music in general, then you may want to check out this mod.

Please note that, even though I remixed some tracks, I didn't create any of them. See the Readme file for legal information and the credits, and if you like one of the tracks, consider checking out the artist for more awesome tracks.

Compatibility

This mod is compatible with the retail and Steam versions of Universe.

This mod is fully compatible with other mods that don't mod the music files.
If the other mod does change the music, then you could remove the music folder from the other mod,
or move the other mod's music files into: (game folder)\Sounds\Music

This mod modifies the following files:
- All .mp3 music files inside Sounds\Music.
- All .mp3 music files inside Sounds\Effects. (Don't confuse this with the .wav effects files)

How to install/uninstall

See the Readme file. It's important you follow the instructions in the Readme.
BlackAlpha

RE: Black's Sci-fi Music Mod

Post by BlackAlpha »

EDIT: nevermind this post, it doesn't apply anymore.
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

This doesn't violate copyright does it? You are technically 'redistributing' copy protected material. Don't want anyone getting in legal trouble here.
BlackAlpha

Post by BlackAlpha »

It's fine as long as it's kept to fair use. The only additional requirement some of those channels lay down is that you advertise their channel and/or where you can find the music. See the Readme for all of that information. I put a lot of effort into providing this information inside the Readme.
FingNewGuy

Post by FingNewGuy »

Will give it a try! Thx, [8D]
McMike

Post by McMike »

Before i download it...
There is maybe an audition on youtube or similar?
BlackAlpha

Post by BlackAlpha »

I suggest you simply try it out in game to see what effect it has. The download is fairly small anyway.
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

This is still in violation of copyright as per section 107 which describes the limitations for fair use. http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#107

Also if you read the beginning of this page http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html you will see that fair use is a right attributed to the owner, not the general public. You MUST still obtain permission from the creator of the material, this permission cannot be obtained through distributors such as VEVO and youtube users. In any case, as the purpose of this mod does not fall in accordance with section 107 permission cannot be obtained.
BlackAlpha

Post by BlackAlpha »

What you said is simply incorrect. But why don't you go complain about the obvious copyright violations over on this forum like some of the graphical or sounds mods that use content or work from other games and movies, and such. The mass effect and star trek mods would be an obvious choice to start with, no? But seriously, I don't quite understand what your deal is. Did I step on your toes, or something?
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

Because this is a violation of copyright? Because i value the law? I don't have to explain myself for trying to help someone avoid breaking the law. The only thing that matters here is that you did not obtain permission from the artist/creator's of these tracks and therefore regardless of whether or not you are within fair use or not[which you aren't] you cannot create a copy and upload it for use by others. "One of the rights accorded to the owner of copyright is the right to reproduce or to authorize others to reproduce the work"

This is essentially the same situation as if you or I were to make a copy of say..an ACDC song for instance on a CD and then loan that cd or give that cd to a friend so that he could listen to it while he does his homework or flips burgers at mcdonalds. Boths situations are a violation, and to make things worse your crediting the distributors rather than the artists.

Any case, i'm not trying to antagonize you. Just alot of people misunderstand what "fair use" implies.
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

I also have a music folder with some pretty epic stuff in it. But i cannot upload it legally which makes me sad :(
BlackAlpha

Post by BlackAlpha »

You are comparing apples with oranges, plus you have absolutely no idea under which conditions the content provided falls. The channels in question can dictate under which conditions the tracks can be used and such because they hold ALL THE RIGHTS to it. So if they say it's OK, then it IS. And yes, this thing does fall under fair use.
BlackAlpha

Post by BlackAlpha »

And I'm very sorry about your music mod, but maybe you should go ask the creator or whoever holds the rights to figure out what conditions they want to apply. Simply checking out the websites where the music can be found or sending them an email does the job.

EDIT: You could've sent me a PM instead of cluttering up this topic...
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

Your suggesting that if for example, person A purchases a copy of person B's music person A then has the right to make a copy and redistribute it? If this is the case, this is not true. All parties involved must have permission to redistribute, and that permission ABSOLUTELY CANNOT be granted by anyone other than the owner or those whom the owner has appointed legally authorized to do so.

Another good example is gamestop. If you buy a game from gamestop it's legal, but just because gamestop could legally sell you the game does not mean they have the legal authority to permit you to copy the game and give the copy away.

"The distinction between what is fair use and what is infringement in a particular case will not always be clear or easily defined. There is no specific number of words, lines, or notes that may safely be taken without permission. Acknowledging the source of the copyrighted material does not substitute for obtaining permission."

However in this case it IS clear, because the content was copied and made available for anyone to use regardless of the purpose and in this case made available for personal use. In contrast you have youtube, which makes content available for use but it cannot be downloaded and thus cannot be used for purposes other than the intention.
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

ORIGINAL: BlackAlpha

EDIT: You could've sent me a PM instead of cluttering up this topic...

Dually noted, my apologies.
BlackAlpha

Post by BlackAlpha »

You are forgetting one thing. If you create something, you can dictate whatever conditions you please and that overrules the more general laws. But that's the last thing I will say on this subject since this discussion is waaaay off topic and going even further off topic now. This is not what I made this thread for.
Hannable

Post by Hannable »

ORIGINAL: Unforeseen

Because this is a violation of copyright? Because i value the law? I don't have to explain myself for trying to help someone avoid breaking the law. The only thing that matters here is that you did not obtain permission from the artist/creator's of these tracks and therefore regardless of whether or not you are within fair use or not[which you aren't] you cannot create a copy and upload it for use by others. "One of the rights accorded to the owner of copyright is the right to reproduce or to authorize others to reproduce the work"

This is essentially the same situation as if you or I were to make a copy of say..an ACDC song for instance on a CD and then loan that cd or give that cd to a friend so that he could listen to it while he does his homework or flips burgers at mcdonalds. Boths situations are a violation, and to make things worse your crediting the distributors rather than the artists.

Any case, i'm not trying to antagonize you. Just alot of people misunderstand what "fair use" implies.

Which is kind of funny because dual cassette decks have been around for decades, and back in the 80's, friends and I would get together with our music collections and make copies of each other's tapes. No one seemed to give two farts about copyright and pirating back then - they even legally sold the equipment that let you do it.

Now all of the sudden you can't even put a song in a YouTube video without some butthurt producer whining about copyright - as if they're going to make money by charging the YouTube videographer a licensing agreement. Those morons ought to be happy for the free advertizing. My PAID FOR music collection doubled in size thanks to hearing music on YouTube or elsewhere that I wouldn't have even known about if not for hearing it in someone's video.
"Only one human captain has survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else." - Delenn of Minbar
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

As long as you have specifically obtained permission from the individual artists such as Jón Hallur to upload their music for free access and download for the purpose of this game mod then you would not be in violation. At no point have you claimed to have obtained this permission which is why this conversation has continued as long as it has. You've more made it sound as if you obtained permission from sources like VEVO, which would not be acceptable.

Anyways, have a nice day.
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

I've never stated either that i endorse the way copy right works or is handled anymore. I simply stated before that i didn't want anyone in the community getting in any kind of trouble here. There is a community called nexus that will insta ban people for even the suspicion of piracy, and then there is the legal concerns to boot.
BlackAlpha

Post by BlackAlpha »

Like I said before, if you really would care about the things you mentioned, then you would raise hell on some of the other mod's topics. Sounds to me like you are just jealous that you can't upload that music folder you mentioned (which probably contains a bunch of illegally obtained tracks).

Well here's some advice on that. If you wish to create a music mod, stick to artists who are open for new ideas and aren't butt hurt about vague borderline copyright issues. This basically means, avoid big publishers and stick to the smaller channels or lesser known artists because they are usually a lot more liberal with their conditions. Like I said before, check out their website/channel or send them a message. Don't know what your music track list consists of but I guess you could still try that. They will usually be happy for you to promote/advertise their music to a group of people who would otherwise not have known about their music. This works for smaller and less popular games, I'm not so sure about a bigger game where your mod could get extremely popular, then you enter murky waters. But it's literally impossible for you to get in trouble because if it turns out afterwards that they maybe changed their minds and/or they have a problem with it, then whoever holds the rights can send you a cease and desist order, you remove their track, and that's it, everybody's happy.

Return to “Design and Modding”