Carrier aircraft replacement

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

tomed63

Carrier aircraft replacement

Post by tomed63 »

scenario date is Dec 02 1942
carrier Enterprise in task force near Savaii,
Enterprise fighter air group VF-6 is 9(2) F4F Wildcat (36)
CVE Copahee in replenishment task force near Savaii,
Copahee fighter air group is VRF-3F 28(0) F4F Wildcat (36)

My question is how do I transfer the replacement aircraft from the Copahee to the Enterprise
without transferring the entire VRF-3F Group?
I should be able to request replacement aircraft for the deplinished air group from the replenishment group. Right?
Gaspote

RE: Carrier aircraft replacement

Post by Gaspote »

Yes but your replenishment group have to be at normal range from the target though.
tomed63

Post by tomed63 »

The carrier and the replenishment group are in the same square,
but no aircraft were replaced when I requested at sea replenishment.
There are 4 replenishment carriers in the replenishment group.
Gaspote

Post by Gaspote »

I'm not sure of the date. I used this in the Marianas scenario but I don't know if it's possible in 1942.

If your cve are in replenishment tf and the replenishment group at normal range from the target. Then if you can't press the replacement button in the group targeted, it mean you can't do that in 1942.
kbfchicago

Post by kbfchicago »

I don't recall this being available as a manual process...(i.e you can not "see" avail AC in the pool and hit the button to pull in up to 12 AC like you would from production stockpiles while in port). It's been about a year since I was in a game that was at a point VRFs were in play so recollection may be off. Thought it only occured auto-majicly...replacement group, on a replenishment TF, within normal range, sqdn you wanted update set to accept replacements "on", xfers happen when the turn cycles. Again, could be wrong...it's been quite awhile. Don't recall if the VRF sqdn that is sending the AC had to also be set to replacements "on" (although that seems counter-intuitive), that would be my guess. Kevin
MacBook Pro / WITP-AE running in Parallels v15.x
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

The issue may be the early date but I could not find the section of the manual that addresses it.I just don't think it is possible in 1942. However it does work well when the time come. VR squadrons just need to be on a CVE in a replenishment TF that is in normal range of the larger CV. The replacements will flow automatically to replace losses, you do not have to to anything. They will also work from land if in normal range of the carriers. In 1945 when you are fighting with massive fleets around the home island they are invaluable.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
DaveConn

Post by DaveConn »

I don't think the process is manual: if the conditions are met (normal range, replenishment TF, etc.) it just happens automatically (or doesn't -- seems to be some randomness built in?)
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

No, I can assure you it is not random. If the requirements are met it works flawlessly. Except just like land based air replacements, there is a limit to how many a carrier group can accept at one time. So massive losses might not be fully replaced in one turn.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Itdepends

Post by Itdepends »

It's not done via the "replenish at sea" process. Put your carriers containing replenishment groups in a replenishment taskforce. You should then be able to go into the air groups on the carriers that you want to draw planes into and manually draw planes into each group (the same button you use for land based air groups- it's on the air group screen). This would also happen automatically if those airgroups where set to take replacements. Note that the replenishment groups must have the same airframes as those that you are replacing.
dcpollay

Post by dcpollay »

Do you otherwise meet the replacement aircraft requirements? Replacements are on, the squadron has not already taken replacements within the past week? Even from a different base?

On the air screen, is there a message saying "Replacements on," "Replacements Delayed," etc.? That could clue you in to the reason.
"It's all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand."

Formerly known as Colonel Mustard, before I got Slitherine Syndrome.
tomed63

Post by tomed63 »

Thanks to everyone for the help.
The fighters were replacements delayed, but the dive bombers were all automatically replaced.
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

Just one thing, are the fighters in unit needing replacement same type as replacement squadron has? E.g. F4F-4 and F4F-3 mix won't happen.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Itdepends

Post by Itdepends »

ORIGINAL: tomed63

Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

ORIGINAL: Itdepends

ORIGINAL: tomed63

Doesn't say if they are F-3 or F-4 both. There are 2 major versions of F4F Wildcat, F-3 and F-4, they cannot be mixed in same squadron. Checking squadron screens would show it. Might be worth checking if this is the reason.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

The first time it happened to me I was really POed. The game designated a training squadron as the replacement squadron. The pilots involved had no business being on a carrier at war, so I had to go to port to get rid of them. [:@]

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”