Loading Mining Base Feasability

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

mxmissile

Loading Mining Base Feasability

Post by mxmissile »

I'm at work so can't try this out till later, how feasible would it be loading up mining and gas mining stations with to full size with weapons, shields and armor instead of building "defense" fleets?

Basically I would only build fleets for (hostile) expansion. Let the bases defend themselves.

Possible to make them strong enough to fend off entire fleets? Cost effective?

What about adding a defense station next to every single mining station? Enough fire power? Multiple defense stations?
Rekm41

RE: Loading Mining Base Feasability

Post by Rekm41 »

Resource shortages would abound.
Keep Moving and Keep your Head DOWN!!
Nanaki

Post by Nanaki »

The problem you run into is that mining stations are restricted by maximum 'base' size, and once you get the necessities you need for mining, extractors, cargo space, docking bays, et cetra, theres not a whole lot of space left for weapons. Defense stations are doable, but run into the problem that you would need one for every station you own, which, will eventually add up to more than you would otherwise spend on a mobile fleet.

Even if you were to do that, the enemy could still overwhelm you with mobile ships on a single point, which would render the whole exercise pointless. Theres a reason why heavy reliance on static defenses fell out of use in real life. That is not to say they are entirely worthless, they are still worth setting up in high-value locations like colonies, but generally you will still need a mobile fleet to deal with threats to your mining stations. However, I do recommend giving your mining stations one or two fighter bays, because the biggest threat to your mining operations will likely be space monsters.
I ate the batter of the bulge at Hans' Haus of Luftwaffles
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

Yeah, if you forsake mobile firepower for static, then strategically you're forced to build much more firepower overall. Resources and maintenance would quickly become a problem. Tactically, defense bases are at the mercy of what enemy targets stray into range. I've seen single defense bases be completely useless when the attack comes from the wrong direction.
pycco

Post by pycco »

i do a happy medium here put enough defensive capability's and attack ability's to not die in 2 sec and kill or capture weaker would be attackers. this will get you lots of "free" techs from pirates.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
-Mark Twain
warzer

Post by warzer »

ORIGINAL: pycco

i do a happy medium here put enough defensive capability's and attack ability's to not die in 2 sec and kill or capture weaker would be attackers. this will get you lots of "free" techs from pirates.

This is what I do. I use all static bases as a means to capture flies to recycle for tech and resources.
Mega mines don't work early game but work great later when you have the extra income to support expensive bases. You don't want to bankrupt your civi's to early.
DeadlyShoe

Post by DeadlyShoe »

agreed with previous commentary: If you develop a strong economy resource shortages are really gonna kick your ass with fortified civilian bases. That is to say, resource income doesn't seem to scale as much as credit income.
mxmissile

Post by mxmissile »

I still had to try, needless to say it was pure fail. Lol, was fun min-maxing my bases though, but in the end the pirates had their way.
AnddyiRaynor

Post by AnddyiRaynor »

It's very possible to do it with no colonies but once you get a colony the ai by default is retarded and doesn't know how to deal with the extra planet to transport resources to and as such you lose a ton of efficiency. The resource management after you get another planet is just horrible it's pretty decent before you do. It's also probably better to retire bases if they aren't on a colony when you retrofit them because the construction ship is going to be better and quicker at "retrofiting" than relying on the ai private sector.

You're not going to want much more than 120 or so firepower +8-12 fighters and 2500 shields/500-1000 armor on your mining/gas bases anyways, adding a defensive base near them in areas you think will be under fire really helps them to fight anything off though. Fighters/bombers will kill ships you are trying to "takeover" though so if you do want to take them over don't put fighter bays on your stations.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”