novice info request

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

Phoenix100

novice info request

Post by Phoenix100 »

Hey in here! I'm thinking of buying this. I play mostly Command ops at the moment. Can anyone help with giving me an idea of what this game is like in terms of the 'click load'? Do you have to give commands to every counter (as in WitE, for example, and as opposed to the system in Command Ops)? Or can you give orders at an HQ level and the HQ will determine orders for subordinates? And, in an average scenario, how many units (counters) will you be clicking each turn? (Very very roughly). Command Ops has a superb subordinate AI system, but in a big (say Corps level) scenario, I will still be clicking perhaps 30 counters if I wanted to give orders to all units, and I don't seem to mind that, whereas clicking (maybe?) 200 units each turn in a big WitE scenario does put me off.
From the posts I've read in here, to try to get a feel for this game, and from the videos I've watched, it looks kind of strange that the map scale looks more coarse, if you like, than Command ops (I mean the maps are less detailed) but the action looks more finely tuned (it looks like you command platoons or individual vehicles sometimes). is this right?

Many thanks in advance.

Peter
wodin

RE: novice info request

Post by wodin »

The superb wego style mechanic is sublime and there is very little click load indeed.
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Cheers, Jason. You'd recommend I buy, then? I have to say the stock maps - which look very hexy (you may recall how I hate hexes) are very off-putting for me, but it looks like there are some superb mods for the maps by William and the Plodder.

Peter
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

hexes aside, it's the game engine that matters tbh and that works very well, and yes map mods are great mind you [;)]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Thanks. Well, I splashed out. Using William's maps. Looks really interesting. Will read the manual now....
Jafele

Post by Jafele »

The AI is challenging; The rules, story and WEGO system of FPRS are realistic but it´s not a "monster" game full of micromanagements. There is also really nice map mods. And the most important point: you´ll have loads of fun.

Do you know many wargames with these features? Buy it! you won´t be dissapointed. [:)]
Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE
calgar

Post by calgar »

ORIGINAL: phoenix

Hey in here! I'm thinking of buying this. I play mostly Command ops at the moment. Can anyone help with giving me an idea of

Love CO, best engine I have ever had the pleasure with.
ORIGINAL: phoenix
Can anyone help with giving me an idea of what this game is like in terms of the 'click load'?

I think this Video AAR will give you a good idea about the click load and the game in general. Put this behind "Youtube.com", I am not allowed to post any links yet....
/watch?v=nWpw5DCZKmc

I think it is well worth it. I have waited for a proper cold war title for a long time. It is not where I would have wished it to be, but the developeres are very determined about making it well worth the money.

Regards,

A
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: calgar

I have waited for a proper cold war title for a long time. It is not where I would have wished it to be, but the developeres are very determined about making it well worth the money.

Regards,

A

Where is it you wished it would be?

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
calgar

Post by calgar »

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian
Where is it you wished it would be?

I already stressed the importance of engineering and how much I am looking forward to these features being implemented into the game in another thread. There are a few other issues, but the point is: You are already aware of this and promissed to keep improving the game in the future. So no hard feelings on my side, I was very well aware of the fact that engineering wouldn't be implemented at launch.

I have actually decided to buy this game, after reading the interview at GrogHeads. Frank Snyder said a few words regarding the future of engineering in the game. thats when I decided to go for it.

Regards,

A
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Glad you decided to buy the game. Keep us informed on what you think of it as you play.

Comments and suggestions are taken seriously on this forum.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
calgar

Post by calgar »

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

Comments and suggestions are taken seriously on this forum.

And that's probably another good reason to support this game and you guys. Thank you for the offer, I will most gladly come back to it when necessary.

Regards,

A
cbelva

Post by cbelva »

ORIGINAL: calgar

[I already stressed the importance of engineering and how much I am looking forward to these features being implemented into the game in another thread.
Just in case you are not aware of it, but Mad Russian is a former army engineer and he has been pushing for some time to expand engineering features in the game. Just so you know you have an ally on the team.
Charles Belva
On Target Simulations LLC
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

So, as I said, I bought it, and started playing the tutorial. So far so good. But a quick question - is there any way I can get an area los from a select terrain tile without having a counter on the spot? For planning purposes, I mean. How can I test a hex and see where los would be (I guess mark 1 eyeball los), or is that not possible and the only way to judge los is relevant to a unit? Thanks.

And am I right that once the resolution begins there's nothing I can do, right? So when the Hinds come and kill everything I can do nothing about that until next orders phase? (I'm not complaining about that - it's realistic, perhaps - just checking that I haven't missed some 'emergency response' type thing. Ditto arty fires - they can only be plotted in the planning phase (so best to leave arty control to subordinates, perhaps, if you need arty to react quickly?) ?

Many thanks.
MikeGER

Post by MikeGER »

phoenix,
hold Shift - and left moues click on the hex will do the trick !
enjoy your new wargame [:)]

while in turn resolution you can only bite your nails [;)]
(your the commander in a tent or HQ vehicle and think how to react with orders for your units in the next)

when you are new i recommend NS-"A time to dance" scenario as a good starting point to play
IronMikeGolf

Post by IronMikeGolf »

phoenix,

Keep in mind the Shift-L results are in the context of the currently selected unit. So, it's that unit's sensors, mods for recce unit, etc. Also bear in mind that mech units can have two states of different LOS range. When mounted, the LOS overlay shows LOS using vehicle sensors. When in leg mode, you are getting data using the dismounted infantry sensors (usually, Mark I Eyeball).
Jeff
Sua Sponte
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Many thanks Mike and iron Mike. I'm sure it's in the manual, which I have looked through (honest)....

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”