Das Chrome UI Mods 1.5b (20 June 2014)

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

mxmissile

RE: Das Chrome UI Mods 1.4 (9 June 2014)

Post by mxmissile »

Can you please host the screen shots somewhere else besides photobucket? They are not working anymore.

Attachments
Untitled1.jpg
Untitled1.jpg (138.57 KiB) Viewed 357 times
Mansen

Post by Mansen »

Day one favourite - The blue variant hasn't left my theme folder since I tried it out :)
Currently Working On:
X-Universe Conversion (Hiatus)
judahpeter

Post by judahpeter »

Thanks for your all your hard work
Locarnus

Post by Locarnus »

I suggest moving your pictures to imgur (no registration, reddit favorite, so it can handle volume), photobucket seems a bit, well, special ;-).
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

Yes. Photobucket has become untenable. I've been looking into where I should go and Imgur looks to be the best option.
necaradan666

Post by necaradan666 »

The other day I noticed a little graphical anomaly with the awesome resource icons Das made, they look kinda messy in the Expansion Planner... after that I noticed them every time I played the game until I started to go nuts. So I ended up fixing them.

Image Image

Looking at them closer they all seemed to be random sizes around 94-98 pixels each way so I spent some time making them all 96x96 assuming if they were the same size they'd all scale the same amount ingame. It Worked.

One thing though, to get through it quickly I just ended up making each icon centered in it's background so some look a little different because they were less than symmetrical e.g. aquasian incense you can see in the screenshot. It doesn't bother me but Das might have had them the way he liked them. I also cleaned up a bunch of red/blue/transparent lines on many of the icons, not sure if they were suppose to be there but I didn't see they made any difference and they looked a little wrong.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8Ogw9 ... sp=sharing

Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

This is great thanks! You actually fixed what Sirian explains as a problem in his own mod!

ORIGINAL: necaradan666

The other day I noticed a little graphical anomaly with the awesome resource icons Das made, they look kinda messy in the Expansion Planner... after that I noticed them every time I played the game until I started to go nuts. So I ended up fixing them.

Image Image

Looking at them closer they all seemed to be random sizes around 94-98 pixels each way so I spent some time making them all 96x96 assuming if they were the same size they'd all scale the same amount ingame. It Worked.

One thing though, to get through it quickly I just ended up making each icon centered in it's background so some look a little different because they were less than symmetrical e.g. aquasian incense you can see in the screenshot. It doesn't bother me but Das might have had them the way he liked them. I also cleaned up a bunch of red/blue/transparent lines on many of the icons, not sure if they were suppose to be there but I didn't see they made any difference and they looked a little wrong.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8Ogw9 ... sp=sharing

ORIGINAL: Sirian
ORIGINAL: Ra131

Hi! Good mod, but i have one question. When research finished we have massage and in window show small image researched technology, this image have bad quality, how fix this bad bug?

This is because the component images are sized 32x32 pixels. When these small images get enlarged the quality suffers. As I explained in the first post, the decision to do the component image set in 32x32 pixels and not 64x64 - which would be easier since the EVE icons are of this size - was the fact that in the Legends expansion, when I made the mod, the images got enlaged by a fixed rate regardless of their resolution in this very message window shown above leading to a completly unreadable message. I do not know if these images still get enlarged at a fixed rate for this window, but I might try it out. Some day.

Fixing this bug would mean having to do a completly new series in 64x64 pixels resolution.

Regards, Sirian

DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

Thanks for pointing out the changing pixel size. That is very easy for me to fix. In Illustrator I'd made the slices all 96px square but something must have upset them somewhere. When I make the next version I'll correct this.
necaradan666

Post by necaradan666 »

I already fixed them, that link is a download. You can use them if you want to save yourself some trouble, unless you want to realign those few icons. There's a preview.jpg in the folder so you can see exactly what the changes look like compared to your originals.
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

I'd already been re-working them. I was finding the backgrounds a little strong and I wanted to add some shading to them. I was going to add these when they were done. :)

Fixing them in Illustrator was literally as easy as selecting the slices layer and clicking 'Align to Pixel Grid'. Job done.

It was very timely though to know about this issue. :)

Here's a sneak-peek. Old on the left, new on the right...

DasTactic

RE: Das Chrome UI Mods 1.5 (12 June 2014)

Post by DasTactic »

Version 1.5 has just been uploaded. This refines the resource icons some-what and also updates the help files accordingly.

bugbear777

Post by bugbear777 »

Beautiful. [:)]
Seraph86

Post by Seraph86 »

really like your mod, the UI icons are great and give the game a more cleaner and spacey look. the resource icons have just a great artistic style.

on a sidenote, would be great if you MAYBE could look at the mouse icons, maybe its my eyes but i had to switch back to the GEM mouse icons because yours were a bit too undistinct for me. could you make them maybe bigger or over a bigger version of them? the GEM mod has some icons which are bigger than the normal ones (for example for the construction order). would be nice to use your great graphics but for me on my resolution i can't differentiate them enough :/.
AstroCat

Post by AstroCat »

Really nice, thanks for your work! [:)]
I7-6700K@4.5GHz/Asus MAXIMUS VIII FORMULA/EVGA GTX 1080SC/Corsair LPX 16GB/Corsair 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/SOUND BLASTER ZX/Samsung 850 Pro x2/Samsung 950 Pro x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR3: Pro-TrackClip Pro/Oculus CV
Buio

Post by Buio »

I really like the mod, looking great overall. Perhaps could resources backgrounds be slightly more different than it is now though?

Here is an image of an edited planet with some mixed resources/luxuries.
http://abload.de/img/das_resource_iconsmzp6r.png

So luxuries have orange background and extremely rare luxuries gold. Perhaps change luxuries to silver and keep extremely rare ones at gold? Also the two other different backgrounds (light blue-green and darker blue-green) are easier to separate, and look fine in one list, but on the planet it's somewhat harder to distinguish them.

It's still easy to find resources compared to default icons.
gyrospeck

Post by gyrospeck »

Love the update. It looks excellent.
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

Thanks for the feedback on these. Tweaking them is not a massive job so some of the requests are relatively simple. I've just uploaded 1.5a in the OP which has slightly larger cursors as well as a better definition with the background of the resource icons.
gerishnakov

Post by gerishnakov »

Thanks for the update, Das!
necaradan666

Post by necaradan666 »

Does anyone else find the new shiny look scales quite badly in expansion planner?

Gases with the highlights just over the second letter and the rings now going beneath it makes the text hard to define, helium looks worst the only one i can clearly see is caslon. The gems like emeros crystal look pretty in the folder with large thumbnails but in game the shiny parts and blurry edged highlight make them look kinda like colored blobs.

I think its that the pink backgrounds lesser contrast and general shiny aspects of the icons combine to reduce sharpness.

I guess i can use the previous version (i prefer the unobtrusive smaller cursors too) but I wanted to know if anyone else sees what i do in this update. perhaps my monitor or windows settings could be adjusted better?
gerishnakov

Post by gerishnakov »

I have to say I agree with you about the new shiny look. It is now harder to make out quite what each resource is. I do like the larger cursors though.

Return to “Design and Modding”