Counters and Historical accuracy

Germany At War: Operation Barbarossa 1941 is an elegant turn-based design, inspired by classics such as Panzer General, but with more of a historical focus. You command the German forces through a branching historical campaign covering the entire 1941 campaign as well as part of the 1942 campaign. Dozens of scenarios stretch from the Soviet border all the way to Archangel and towards Astrakhan, the original military goals of Operation Barbarossa. Step into a wargame where your performance will rewrite history, through an addictive combination of compelling gameplay, realistic events and challenging battles.

Moderator: Ronald Wendt

jchron2

Counters and Historical accuracy

Post by jchron2 »

Great Game. Definitely a step up from PC(in my opinion).

I'm kind of a traditionalist. Had many Avalon Hill games back in the 70s and 80s. Therefore, I like counters better. But in GAW I like the Airplane sprites better than the air counters. Is there a way to have both? Counters for everything but the Air units...and use the sprites for them?

Which difficulty setting most would correspond to the historical reality facing Germany on June 22, 1941? Any one have any idea?
Ronald Wendt

RE: Counters and Historical accuracy

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hello jchron,

you cannot mix counters with the 3d models.

As for the difficulty: switching on all rules is needed, resource bonus should be kept low of left out. Then you get attrition the Germans have trouble to compensate and the weaker Soviets get more and more into a position where they can beat the Germans. The detailed supply has this effect as you cannot simply spent all resources into the reinforcements if you want your war machine keep going.

Regards,
jchron2

Post by jchron2 »

Thanks for the reply, Ronald. So historical settings would be all rules on...including Detailed Supply. Then Zero bonus for Germans? How about bonus for the Russians?
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hello jchron,

you are welcome.
Honestly we did not try every single adjustement of the resoruces, but the A-A campaign with all rules set on should provide a rather real situation. Giving the Russians resources might shift that to the point were they are too strong for 1941. The edge is somewhere between 30 and 50 resources while leaving the Germans with none. Then again this depends on you as a better player might overwhlem the Soviets before that bonus has too much influence (remember the bonus is per turn).

Regards,
AngrySwan

Post by AngrySwan »

Hi jchron,

I have seen counters with NATO symbols for ground units and 2D images of planes painted on the counters. Technically it could be done.
Then we would need an editor to insert the new counters into the graphics file, but that will not happen soon, as far as I know.
The art of war is simple and esay to understand but fighting a war is hard.
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

ORIGINAL: Marechal
I have seen counters with NATO symbols for ground units and 2D images of planes painted on the counters. Technically it could be done.
Then we would need an editor to insert the new counters into the graphics file, but that will not happen soon, as far as I know.

That was in Operation Barbarossa, we used 3d meshes with textures back then and i think you refer to a DMP mod that was done for some desert scenarios.

In GaW we use a different approach with scalable 2d counters.

Anyway they could be converted into ones that contain pictures instead of the symbols in theory. We are currently working on improving and expanding the script editor for scenarios as well as new content, so the tool you suggest is not in sight any time soon.

Regards,

Return to “Germany at War: Barbarossa 1941”