Scale

Forum dedicated to the Scourge of War Game set during the Napoleonic Wars. Scourge of War: Waterloo follows in the footsteps of its American Civil War predecessors and takes the action to one of the most famous battles in history. It is by far the most detailed game about the final battle of the War of the Seventh Coalition.

Moderator: MOD_ScourgeofWarWaterloo

Phoenix100

Scale

Post by Phoenix100 »

Can I ask, Jim, will you move to 1:1 rendering of the battlefields (as opposed to the 1:3 rendering in SOW, I believe - I mean everything is three times smaller than in real life, right?) I think it would be an exceptional attraction to actually model the battlefield as it was, to exact 1:1 scale. I live about 10 minutes drive from the battlefield and the core parts of it are in great 'unspoilt' condition - very similar to how it was then.
Phoenix100

RE: Scale

Post by Phoenix100 »

No one here?.....
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

BUmp
histgamer

Post by histgamer »

ORIGINAL: phoenix

Can I ask, Jim, will you move to 1:1 rendering of the battlefields (as opposed to the 1:3 rendering in SOW, I believe - I mean everything is three times smaller than in real life, right?) I think it would be an exceptional attraction to actually model the battlefield as it was, to exact 1:1 scale. I live about 10 minutes drive from the battlefield and the core parts of it are in great 'unspoilt' condition - very similar to how it was then.

Phoenix sorry for the delay on this, I can't really say what the scale of the game will be yet that's something that still has yet to be determined.
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Ah. Thanks.
Champagne

Post by Champagne »

I should hope that the scale will be battalions for infantry, company/batteries for artillery and squadrons for cavalry.

Many may recall the old Napoleonic games Waterloo: Napoleon's Last Battle and Austerlitz: Napoleon's Greatest Victory. I have played these games many times. The scale that I mentioned works best for Napoleonics.

Regiment or Brigade scale for infantry would be inappropriate, IMHO.

Battalion level should be the goal.
Only the dead have seen the end of War.

-- Plato
e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

I think the OP is referring to sprite scaling, ie one soldier sprite in the game represented 4 real soldiers in the SOW series.

In terms of units, I would be surprised if inf were not represented at battalion level.. but for extra points I hope they are able to split off light companies for skirmishing (rather than have an entire line battalion go into skirmish, which was not appropriate for that type).

cheers
Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo
Champagne

Post by Champagne »

Chris:

Yes, of course, you are correct. The OP was referencing a different kind of scale. I got a bit excited thinking about this release and let my thoughts wander from the OP's specific point.

Wouldn't it be great if the game featured battalion level with companies of skirmishers modeled? It would also be nice to have a feature that allowed 1:4 scale modeling for older computers and, say, 1:2 for newer computers with more powerful graphics cards.

Only the dead have seen the end of War.

-- Plato
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

No. Not the sprite scaling. That doesn't much bother me (or not as much, though I would dearly like 1:1 representation here too). I was referring to the fact that the landscapes (the maps) are approx. one third life size in the present games. That is, a notional distance of, say, 100 yards in the game (as measured against the size of the sprites, trees, buildings etc that populate the landscape)represents around 300 yards in real life. It's very easy to see how this distorts the actual landscape, the los considerations that would have obtained etc, by just looking at (for example) any part of the Gettysburg battlefield on google earth and comparing the view to a suitably set up in game view of the same. The battlefields look huge in google earth compared to in game!! I have said before that I understand the reason for this design decision - it makes maps much smaller (processor power etc) - but would much prefer (if size compromises have to be made) that smaller tranches of battles were represented on actual life-size maps, so that, when you're playing you are getting an experience of assessing the terrain that is somewhat similar to the real life experience. At the moment that's not true at all. The Waterloo battlefield would traditionally break-down, you could say, into three parts - left, right and centre - representing the (fairly) distinct areas of French effort and I would prefer a game design that did this rather than tried to produce one huge map of the entire battlefield that was one third the size of the actual battlefield. Just my opinion. Not many other people seem bothered about this point - the fact that the maps only bear a superficial resemblance to real life. As an example of the effect - a ridge of land that was, say, in real life 3 yards high (and thus sufficient to provide good cover) will in the present games appear to be one third of that, presenting not much cover at all. That bothers me in a series that has tried to somehow represent historical reality, but, like I said, no one else seems much bothered by this pretty significant failure of realism....so I'm guessing the same design decisions will be made for Waterloo.

Peter
BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 »

Well count me too as one that would not only like 1:1 scale of men but also a map that fits the real terrain.
I don't think processing power either CPU or GPU is a problem today as it was back when the Civil War titles where made so I hope they go for the real deal.
HistWar is aiming for that too:
http://www.histwar.com/
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

I wonder if I might NOW get an answer to this question - is this a REDUCED scale battlefield, or not? It certainly looks - from the vids and the pics - nothing like the actual battlefield at Waterloo, because it looks around 4 times smaller. Am I right? It's an important question and will certainly effect whether I buy, and perhaps others. Thanks.

Peter
con20or

Post by con20or »

I have followed up on this again.
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

I have followed up on this again.

Sorry? Not sure what you mean, con20or?

Peter
con20or