Basic Artillery Range Question

Post advice on tactics and strategies here; share your experience on how to become a better wargamer.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

VarlosZ

Basic Artillery Range Question

Post by VarlosZ »

This is a very basic question but I haven't seen it addressed specifically:

When supporting a defense, exactly where is an artillery unit's range "going to"? That is, for purposes of the unit's range, is its target the hex containing the hostile attacking unit, or is it the hex containing the friendly defending unit? Put another way, if I have an arty unit with a range of 1 and have it dig in directly behind a unit that's about to be attacked from the hex on the opposite side, will it support the defense (because the combat is theoretically taking place 1 hex away), or will it not support (because the hostile enemy unit is attacking from 2 hexes away)?

Hopefully that's clear. Thanks.

ETA: And just to be clear, I'm assuming that an arty unit with a range of 1 has to be adjacent to a defending enemy unit, not just a friendly attacker, yes?
Lobster

RE: Basic Artillery Range Question

Post by Lobster »

The range is to the defending hex.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: VarlosZ

This is a very basic question but I haven't seen it addressed specifically:

When supporting a defense, exactly where is an artillery unit's range "going to"? That is, for purposes of the unit's range, is its target the hex containing the hostile attacking unit, or is it the hex containing the friendly defending unit? Put another way, if I have an arty unit with a range of 1 and have it dig in directly behind a unit that's about to be attacked from the hex on the opposite side, will it support the defense (because the combat is theoretically taking place 1 hex away), or will it not support (because the hostile enemy unit is attacking from 2 hexes away)?

Hopefully that's clear. Thanks.

ETA: And just to be clear, I'm assuming that an arty unit with a range of 1 has to be adjacent to a defending enemy unit, not just a friendly attacker, yes?
It will support the defender adjacent to it, if it got a range=1.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
Falcon1

Post by Falcon1 »

How about on offense? If I have an artillery with range of 1, and it is adjacent to my attacking unit, but not adjacent to the enemy defender, will it participate in the attack?
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Combat takes place in the defending units hex.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: Falcon1

How about on offense? If I have an artillery with range of 1, and it is adjacent to my attacking unit, but not adjacent to the enemy defender, will it participate in the attack?
There's a thread where the almighty Bob Cross explained it; on tactical reserve I for sure know they support attacks, too. About Dig-in status, not sure. Best bet, an internal search in the forum or we wait for Bob to pop up.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
secadegas

Post by secadegas »

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink

There's a thread where the almighty Bob Cross explained it; on tactical reserve I for sure know they support attacks, too. About Dig-in status, not sure. Best bet, an internal search in the forum or we wait for Bob to pop up.

Klink, Oberst

Arty will support within range at half srtrenght on Dig-in, tactical or local reserve status (even if local reserve shouldn't be used on arty units for practical reasons).
If directly commited Arty units will support/attack at full strenght.

And as Lobster said combat takes place in the defending units hex.
Falcon1

Post by Falcon1 »

OK so what is the typical tactic on offense? If a unit has an artillery range of 1, then for it to support attacks it must be in the front line with the other attacking units, correct? Or do people directly select their artillery for offense, getting the full strength for that one attack?
secadegas

Post by secadegas »

OK so what is the typical tactic on offense? If a unit has an artillery range of 1, then for it to support attacks it must be in the front line with the other attacking units, correct? Or do people directly select their artillery for offense, getting the full strength for that one attack?

I don't know if there is a typical tactic on attack.
Speaking for myself i don't commit range 1 Arty directly on attack.
Just because Arty units usually are full of passive defender type of equipment and they suffer a lot of losses when attacking directly/assaulting. That's not the case when Arty unit has range higher than 1 and so don't need to be in direct contact with enemy.

Makes sense?

Return to “The War Room”