Fighter firepower rating working as intended?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

aprezto

Fighter firepower rating working as intended?

Post by aprezto »

Hi Hi;

I note that fighters don't increase the 'firepower' rating of your ships. This in turn does not add to the strategic rating of your race.
This in turn lowers your threat to other races - so they don't get the negative 'fear your power' rating - so making friends is easier. But also lowers you apparent deterrent factor 'appearing' to make you more of a target.

I note this in a game where I decided to focus on fighters and boarding shuttles as my main tech - with other weapons being researched where they were per-requisites for the better fighter tech.

Is this working as intended?

Image courtesy of Divepac
aprezto

RE: Fighter firepower rating working as intended?

Post by aprezto »

I have not done the latest update - but note this in the release notes:

- Fighters now weighted higher when evaluating strength of potential attack targets

Maybe affecting this?

Image courtesy of Divepac
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that patch note relates to battles themselves, meaning the AI is now more likely to target fighters in battle. Fighters are pretty deadly, and having the AI not try to shoot them down made them even deadlier.

As for the firepower rating, that seems like an oversight to me.
Tophat1815

Post by Tophat1815 »

ORIGINAL: aprezto

I have not done the latest update - but note this in the release notes:

- Fighters now weighted higher when evaluating strength of potential attack targets

Maybe affecting this?

I think you are correct and with the update the strength of fighters is better taken into account. Need to do some testing on this but instead of an attacking ai disregarding the presence of fighters at a base/station I think the ai now takes them into account. After you update note your results here.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”