New Race request/question

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Nopkar

New Race request/question

Post by Nopkar »

Recently bought the game, love it to death. So much customization...such wow.

But on a personal note I'm not really in love with the races :(

This is probably just me but for some reason none of the races really jump out at me, more from an RP approach than an actual gameplay problem. I kinda like the Gizureans, they fit my playstyle on some days and for the other days there are the Ackdarians or Kaiden.

So many other races to pick from but I see one type is absent...where are the robotic AI races? Self Aware machines with a propensity to terminate meatbags and bring their version of utopian perfection to the galaxy...

I've attempted to scrounge up some info into making my own race, going as far as to outright copy another race and change the names but I seem to always do something wrong, breaking my game and forcing me to revert changes. It's going to take me time to create a few of these races myself, I'm patient so its not too much of a problem but I was wondering if there was a skilled modder out there that may have already thought of this for DW:U and has a couple ready to go or if anyone can direct me to a more comprehensive race creation guide?
Darkspire

RE: New Race request/question

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: Nopkar

Recently bought the game, love it to death. So much customization...such wow.

But on a personal note I'm not really in love with the races :(

This is probably just me but for some reason none of the races really jump out at me, more from an RP approach than an actual gameplay problem. I kinda like the Gizureans, they fit my playstyle on some days and for the other days there are the Ackdarians or Kaiden.

So many other races to pick from but I see one type is absent...where are the robotic AI races? Self Aware machines with a propensity to terminate meatbags and bring their version of utopian perfection to the galaxy...

I've attempted to scrounge up some info into making my own race, going as far as to outright copy another race and change the names but I seem to always do something wrong, breaking my game and forcing me to revert changes. It's going to take me time to create a few of these races myself, I'm patient so its not too much of a problem but I was wondering if there was a skilled modder out there that may have already thought of this for DW:U and has a couple ready to go or if anyone can direct me to a more comprehensive race creation guide?

Hi Nopkar, welcome to the forums [:)]

Race creation at its heart has not changed but with the release of Universe it has become more involved by utilizing the various moddable text files, components (making your own and adding them as a race specific component), resources (making your own and adding them as a racial bonus) etc.

The best way to learn is to have a read of the modding manual and then copy the race file you would like to make your own and edit each part and then playing and see what the change makes, see what the guide reads for the various parts of the file and then edit and backup your file.

Don't try to edit a swathe of things in one go, least not until you have become more confident with what the various sections do, if you go down that path you will only end up with a headache trying to work out what you have broken.

If you are still stuck then ask questions on here, there are many helpful folk on here, I will ask uncle Google as I have written a few before on race creation, the basics will be there but you will need to remember of the changes Universe has brought to the table.

Darkspire
Nanaki

Post by Nanaki »

ORIGINAL: Nopkar

Well, there are the mechanoids, given they are not normally playable, but a simple modification could fix that.
I ate the batter of the bulge at Hans' Haus of Luftwaffles
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

Haree's excellent Extended mod has some new mechanoid races, as well as some other very interesting ones. Highly recommended. [:)]
Nopkar

Post by Nopkar »

I'm actually going to try that tonight. I looked at that mod earlier and wasn't sure if there were any robotic races in that picture but I do like the art of some of them. worth a shot.
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

I like the Ortain.
Solarius Scorch

Post by Solarius Scorch »

I must say I share the sentiment of not liking some of the vanilla races. I think it's one of the weak points of the game; they're neither hard-SF serious nor space opera fun, but somewhere in-between. Honestly, they're very flat and cartoonish; they're not only incapable of competing against designs in giants like Master of Orion 2, but even most other games like StarDrive.for example.

Therefore I'm in the process of substituting most vanilla races with alternatives. I think I'll also turn it into a Master of Orion mod. (If I ever get around to do it, anyway.)
Forever Future 1.7 for Call to Power - the biggest mod for the best Civilization-like game ever!
Antarian

Post by Antarian »

I'm also not a big fan of the stock races, and replace them immediately with Star Trek classics and other amazing races designed by the excellent crew present and accounted for on this deck.

I HIGHLY reccommend you download the Extended Races mod IMMEDIATELY, your game experience will shoot up from wow to 'I cannot stop playing this game'.
"If there are gods, they do not care, and justice always goes to the strong. But remember this: All that is done before the naked stars is remembered" Klingon proverb.
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

ORIGINAL: Solarius Scorch
they're not only incapable of competing against designs in giants like Master of Orion 2, but even most other games like StarDrive.for example.

Hmm, DW could use some plant races. Fungal too, like the Mycon in Star Control 2.
Tcby

Post by Tcby »

+1 for DW Extended. Regarding mechanoids it has the Ortain (exterminate) and the Napoar (peaceful expansion).
gerishnakov

Post by gerishnakov »

Taking inspiration from other SF franchises, whether game, movie, or book, is a great way to come up with things to add to the game.

I'm about 90% of the way toward completely modding in Mass Effect's Geth machine race, using the Mass Effect mod you can find here as a base to work from.
Nanaki

Post by Nanaki »

I must say I share the sentiment of not liking some of the vanilla races. I think it's one of the weak points of the game; they're neither hard-SF serious nor space opera fun, but somewhere in-between. Honestly, they're very flat and cartoonish; they're not only incapable of competing against designs in giants like Master of Orion 2, but even most other games like StarDrive.for example.

Hard sci-fi never really had a 'flavor' of alien race, as, the only things we know about alien races is what we can prove/disprove through chemistry (Note: Silicon-based lifeforms are improbable) and the liklihood that we are not alone. Most hard sci-fi just avoids the question entirely as hard sci-fi tends to accept the fact that FTL travel is impossible with our current understanding of astrophysics.

I like DW's races, but the art could use either redoing or improvement, the faux-3D currently reminds me too much of Master of Orion 3 which is not a good thing. If anything, I feel kind of sad. In terms of variety, the 4X genre peaked with Master of Orion 2 and went downhill since, it is like 4Xs almost universally decided to take a cue from MOO3 even though MOO3 was a big pile of garbage.

This opinion might be unpopular, but I dislike Extended's additional races (especially Xhuman) and I dislike the redone portraits even more, especially the space suited ones. Might just be my opinion, but the whole purpose of a racial portrait is to give you some idea of what that race looks like, and having it space suited completely defeats the purpose.

But, it is only an opinion, the only way you will know you will like something or not is to try it out for yourself.
Solarius Scorch

ORIGINAL: Nanaki

Hard sci-fi never really had a 'flavor' of alien race, as, the only things we know about alien races is what we can prove/disprove through chemistry (Note: Silicon-based lifeforms are improbable) and the liklihood that we are not alone. Most hard sci-fi just avoids the question entirely as hard sci-fi tends to accept the fact that FTL travel is impossible with our current understanding of astrophysics.

It's hard to argue with. I didn't want to bring up this argument before, since it maybe a bit subjective, but I think all attempts of making "serious" space species in 4X games were spectacular failures, as shown by Master of Orion 3 (according to the devs, this was the plan). So why not do it in a bit more fabulous way?
I like DW's races, but the art could use either redoing or improvement, the faux-3D currently reminds me too much of Master of Orion 3 which is not a good thing. If anything, I feel kind of sad. In terms of variety, the 4X genre peaked with Master of Orion 2 and went downhill since, it is like 4Xs almost universally decided to take a cue from MOO3 even though MOO3 was a big pile of garbage.

Hear, hear.
As for the DW races, my problem with them isn't just graphics, but general concepts: they're often woefully flat and one-dimensional. Sure, maybe designs of Klackons or Darloks weren't particularly elaborated, but they were sufficiently vague to be just right.
This opinion might be unpopular, but I dislike Extended's additional races (especially Xhuman) and I dislike the redone portraits even more, especially the space suited ones. Might just be my opinion, but the whole purpose of a racial portrait is to give you some idea of what that race looks like, and having it space suited completely defeats the purpose.

I think the problem with XHumans is that they stood out as an obvious duplication. In my current project, I decided to take it further and actually make three human factions, and with some humanoids to boot. I'm aiming for a set that may be more humanoid and perhaps even naive, but consistently so.
Forever Future 1.7 for Call to Power - the biggest mod for the best Civilization-like game ever!
Nanaki

Post by Nanaki »

It's hard to argue with. I didn't want to bring up this argument before, since it maybe a bit subjective, but I think all attempts of making "serious" space species in 4X games were spectacular failures, as shown by Master of Orion 3 (according to the devs, this was the plan). So why not do it in a bit more fabulous way?

Thing is, the whole concept of 'serious' space species went endemic after MOO3 and is one of the reasons why I avoided the 4X genre for so long. Aside from it boiling down to just making alien races 50 shades of eldrich abomination, which makes the races about as interesting as watching paint dry, the whole root concept reeks of arrogance, especially since there is the possibility we could be horribly wrong and aliens could end up looking more familiar than we would normally assume. The key factor is that we do not know.

Hear, hear.
As for the DW races, my problem with them isn't just graphics, but general concepts: they're often woefully flat and one-dimensional. Sure, maybe designs of Klackons or Darloks weren't particularly elaborated, but they were sufficiently vague to be just right.

I would say MOO2 was even worse in this regard, considering that DW actually subverts some of the normal stereotypes such as the warrior cats while DW mostly played all the tropes straight. Given, I would rather have stereotypes than the bland, uninteresting, 50 shades of ugly that has mostly permiated the genre since MOO3.

So far, I think the best ideas will be familiar races with interesting twists. DW sort of does that with the Zenox and a few others.
I think the problem with XHumans is that they stood out as an obvious duplication. In my current project, I decided to take it further and actually make three human factions, and with some humanoids to boot. I'm aiming for a set that may be more humanoid and perhaps even naive, but consistently so.

I am not a huge fan of seperate human 'factions' unless one is developing a game with deliberately few alien races, generally, there are barely enough interesting ideas to go between alien races that having multiple human factions sucking up ideas seems like a bad idea.
Solarius Scorch

Thing is, the whole concept of 'serious' space species went endemic after MOO3 and is one of the reasons why I avoided the 4X genre for so long. Aside from it boiling down to just making alien races 50 shades of eldrich abomination, which makes the races about as interesting as watching paint dry, the whole root concept reeks of arrogance, especially since there is the possibility we could be horribly wrong and aliens could end up looking more familiar than we would normally assume. The key factor is that we do not know.

100% agreed, at least regarding space games. In sci-fi literature it's a bit more complicated, since we can have the concept dissected and developed, but games can't do so (or at least shouldn't, since that's not why they're made for).
I would say MOO2 was even worse in this regard, considering that DW actually subverts some of the normal stereotypes such as the warrior cats while DW mostly played all the tropes straight. Given, I would rather have stereotypes than the bland, uninteresting, 50 shades of ugly that has mostly permiated the genre since MOO3.

So far, I think the best ideas will be familiar races with interesting twists. DW sort of does that with the Zenox and a few others.

Can't argue. :)
I am not a huge fan of seperate human 'factions' unless one is developing a game with deliberately few alien races, generally, there are barely enough interesting ideas to go between alien races that having multiple human factions sucking up ideas seems like a bad idea.

I think it depends on the "What Measure Is a Non-Human?" factor. Going back to MoO2, I'd say one third of races can be considered as human variants. I would like to play on this a bit more, making human factions a bit more different from one another and adding some species that are also quite human ("space elves" and the like).

If you say that it's not very elegant - or just plain chauvinist - to have so many human-like species and only a similar number of various eldritch abominations, well, you'd be right. But I think games should primarily reflect what players can identify with or are excited to play as, not to make everything symmetrical. A good 4X game with aliens is one you like all races; a bad one is when you feel like sticking to one race (humans) and just beat the hell outta rest.
ParagonExile

Post by ParagonExile »

Personally, I prefer science fiction where there are either very few, distinct aliens (Mass Effect) or only subfactions of Humanity (Foundation). Big assortments of random aliens (Star Wars, Star Trek) don't really appeal much when it comes to characterizing them; they just sort of fade together. More realistic too. It's unreasonable to assume Humans (and aliens) will align themselves with some monolithic species-wide government, at least continuously or without conflict. Divides, like with the Ortain and the... Ortain, or the Humans and XHumans, or the Napoar, brings a lot of depth in my opinion.

The Distant Worlds expanded roster is one of the only situations where I find myself liking the huge diversity. Hopefully some of them will be incorporated into the next game.
Nanaki

Post by Nanaki »

Mass Effect is not a good example, the number of species in the Mass Effect games quite easily approaches that of your average 4X, and, while it does occasionally lampshade or even outright subvert itself in individual examples (Wrex, Legion, etc), it mostly plays the tropes straight. You have your warrior race, your scientist race, your hot babe who likes to sex everything race, your merchant race, your omnicidal robots, et cetra et cetra. I probably would have considered it a better series if there were no reapers. Am I the only one who saw Mass Effect 3's lousy ending from lightyears away?

Well-done aliens are difficult to find. The only examples I can think of off-hand are virtually every single one from Starbound, the Iskai from Albion, the Treecats from Honor Harrington, and the Vell-os (okay, technically and aesthetically human, but split off from humanity thousands of years ago) from EV Nova.

Animals make great case studies, pick an animal, observe its behavior, the way it communicates, the way it reacts to threats, the way it reacts to its own kind, and try to build a civilization from that. Note that you actually have to observe the animal, because animals tend to act/react very differently than what humans assume. Note that you probably will realize somewhere along the line that, certain traits are simply required in order to naturally build a civilization out of. For example, you can take your average Terran cat, make it anthropomorphic, opposable thumbs, an equal if not superior intellect to humans, and in spite of that you probably will not get a civilization from the results simply because the concept of 'pack' or 'tribe' is simply absent from most felids. A single individual, no matter how talented, cannot build an entire civilization by himself or herself.
If you say that it's not very elegant - or just plain chauvinist - to have so many human-like species and only a similar number of various eldritch abominations, well, you'd be right. But I think games should primarily reflect what players can identify with or are excited to play as, not to make everything symmetrical. A good 4X game with aliens is one you like all races; a bad one is when you feel like sticking to one race (humans) and just beat the hell outta rest.

I think the best route is to have the entire sliding scale occupied. A few near-humans, a few eldrich abominations, and a few that are somewhere in between.

As for 'liking' and 'disliking' races, one of the reasons, in theory, that developers like to throw in a lot of races is because, chances are, different people have different tastes, and the general idea is that everyone will like at least one of the flavors. This theory does hold water, as Starbound, as well designed and interesting as its alien races are, there are a number of people who simply do not like any of the races. Luckily, in Starbound's case, there are mods to fill the gap.
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

Don't worry you're entirely entitled to your opinion, we all like different things.
For me race portraits are the ambassadors, they are what the race looks like when they come to you to speak terms or discuss some trade agreement. If I was paying someone to create the art it might have been entirely a good idea to do a more anatomical picture of the alien for the Galactopedia, but I did not have that luxury.
I would have found it very strange having only naked aliens speaking to me given our (admittedly unreliably 1) sample set shows civilised beings like to clothe themselves. In distant worlds we see this image when the Aliens talk to us, although in English, in their own fashion, so I needed images that reflect how they may appear when this occurs.
Nanaki

Post by Nanaki »

The assumption that civilized beings would like to clothe themselves may not necessarily be a true one, even among human civilizations there were quite a few whom placed lesser (or even none at all) value on clothing. Infact, the cultural differences between current western civilization and other civilizations also make an excellent case study when writing about alien races, it really is interesting how even among human civilizations there have been huge differences, unfortunately the death or conversion of virtually all of these civilizations has sort of dulled our senses as to how different humans can be.
ParagonExile

Post by ParagonExile »

The assumption that civilized beings would like to clothe themselves may not necessarily be a true one, even among human civilizations there were quite a few whom placed lesser (or even none at all) value on clothing. Infact, the cultural differences between current western civilization and other civilizations also make an excellent case study when writing about alien races, it really is interesting how even among human civilizations there have been huge differences, unfortunately the death or conversion of virtually all of these civilizations has sort of dulled our senses as to how different humans can be.

It may seem like a trifling issue, but cultures/species that don't value clothing will have their range of habitation reduced ten-fold on their home planet and elsewhere, which would both mean they are less likely to survive (fewer replacements)and slower to progress (less experience = less adaptation).

It may be an accident that the Europeans and Asians, two peoples which placed heavy emphasis on clothing, grew to dominate the planet, but I'm willing to say it wasn't.

Before even them; if our original African ancestors never used clothing, then the Ice Age would've effectively stopped them in their tracks when they tried to emigrate to the middle east and europe. This would've been disastrous, as Africa is a terrible place for technical civilization to both start and sustain itself.

Return to “Design and Modding”