Replacement pool

Alea Jacta Est is a series of Ancient Strategy Games using the renowned and proven AGE engine. The first in the series is Alea Jacta Est, which features the Roman Civil Wars. Other games in the series are Birth of Rome and Parthian Wars. The latest entry, Hannibal: Terror of Rome, highlights the Second Punic War.
zwobot

Replacement pool

Post by zwobot »

Hi all

I am having trouble getting to grips with the replacement pool screen. I understand that I need to add replacements to the various unit-types so that the various unit-types can receive reinforcements in the first place.

While the manual states that the lower number represents one element of the respective unit-type, it is not clear to me what exactly the upper number represents? In addition I had the Impression until now that the lower number does not shrink the upper number in a 1:1 relation.

In the attached example (which I photoshopped because I cannot start the game right now), this might lead to a Situation where all of the 10 infantry replacements are used to reinforce the 30 missing items in that category.

My main question is what is the exact relation between the various numbers displayed in the replacements screen and how do I have to read them to know how many replacements are required?

Attachments
replacments.jpg
replacments.jpg (83.53 KiB) Viewed 125 times
Franciscus

RE: Replacement pool

Post by Franciscus »

Hello

The number above, next to the man figurine represent the number of "hits" missing in the respective element types, in all your forces in map.

The number below represent the current replacement "chits" available (and in parenthesis the amount of "chits" you are buying)

The number of hits of each element varies according to type.

It works like this:

- if a whole element needs to be replaced, it will use up one replacement "chit"
- to replenish understrength elements, each replacement "chit" will on average heal 10 hits before it is consumed. That's the reason for a simple "rule of thumb" in Ageod games: you should have at least 10% of the number of hits needed in number of replacements. Eg, if you need to replenish 20 hits of a particular element type, you should have at least 2 replacement "chits"

Regards
Former AJE team member
zwobot

Post by zwobot »

Thank you Franciscus. Your explanation is very similar to the one available in the manual nevertheless it helped to clarify the topic for me. I've tried the 10% rule of thumb in my current BOR game and it works fine.

Another question I have regards the supply of Units. The Manual mentions that units draw supply from the province they are located in or from an adjacent province. Is this an exclusive 'or' like the unit only draws supply from the region it is located in or from the Region it is located in plus from multiple (or only 1) adjacent regions?
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: zwobot

Thank you Franciscus. Your explanation is very similar to the one available in the manual nevertheless it helped to clarify the topic for me. I've tried the 10% rule of thumb in my current BOR game and it works fine.

Another question I have regards the supply of Units. The Manual mentions that units draw supply from the province they are located in or from an adjacent province. Is this an exclusive 'or' like the unit only draws supply from the region it is located in or from the Region it is located in plus from multiple (or only 1) adjacent regions?

its additive, but in most places this helps relatively little. Supply tends to concentrate in provinces with a city, on the level and with a substantial degree of development. Apart from in Italy, there are rarely many such provinces adjacent.

Return to “Alea Jacta Est Series”