[WIP/REL] Realistic Resource Revamp v0.2.1

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

ChildServices

RE: [WIP] Realistic Resource Revamp v0.1.0

Post by ChildServices »

Fissile material isn't actually that rare in the universe, especially when you're talking about stuff like uranium. You could very conceivably give the "radioactives" resource more uses than just as early-game fuel.

A few examples:
[*]Useful in railgun components. Depleted-uranium munitions etc.
[*]Possible application in early or mid-game armour components. Think of it like the DU-plating that you see on some Abrams tanks.
[*]Make them always used in reactor components at all levels. Control rods, etc.
Alexander the Great, his name struck fear into hearts of men.
FireLion1983

Post by FireLion1983 »

ORIGINAL: ChildServices

Fissile material isn't actually that rare in the universe, especially when you're talking about stuff like uranium. You could very conceivably give the "radioactives" resource more uses than just as early-game fuel.

A few examples:
[*]Possible application in early or mid-game armour components. Think of it like the DU-plating that you see on some Abrams tanks.
[*]Make them always used in reactor components at all levels. Control rods, etc.
Great suggestions. Haven't had any time to playtest or think about this in the last 2 days; hope to get some time soon.
uberknight72

Post by uberknight72 »

ORIGINAL: Unforeseen

Well Exotic/Rare Furs >>>>>>> Luxury Vehicles in that case.

I don't know what point you're trying to make here. But then again im extremely tired and probably just unable to dissect my message and process it right now XD

You could replace "luxury vehicles" with "Consumer Goods", which is slightly more sensible.

Consumer goods is something I have given a lot of thought about. But it just seems to insignificant to make into a full fledged luxury resource worth exporting. But it's not out of the question, it's certainly something ill give another look at later on. :)
One thing I wish was possible, was to be able to have a different kind of manufactured goods produced by each race family, and only producible by that family. This'd mean that Boskarans living in your empire wouldn't consume filthy Humanoid goods because they're too alien for them to really make any meaningful use of, so you'd need a colony producing Insectoid ones or to have the gap filled by subhumans foreign imports.
I haven't seen a way to make a manufactured good only be produced and consumed by a certain race (or group of them), which is unfortunate.

This would indeed be very lovely to have...
Sadly the most we can do right now with the current modding capabilities is assigning races with bonuses for certain resources.

A few examples:

I think I actually have this covered to an extent ^^

Though I will specifically add these to my notes so I make sure it's in. I am right now about 1/4th the way done with reassigning the components with the new resource indexs so Ill make sure that Radioactives are utilized in those fashions. :)

A few suggestions: Medical Supplies, Radioactive Materials, Weapons(Civilian grade and military grade), Narcotics

Glad to see that though we disagree about my "super beer" we are still on the fairly same plane of thought concerning other things. All of these have been something ive had up on the drawing board at one time. Though I ultimately decided to remove due to either gameplay reasons/limitations or because including it wouldn't make sense unless it was applicable in some way besides just providing a development level boost.
Medical supplies was something that actually was among my very first resource plans for the mod. However after giving it a lot of thought and exploring all that I could do with the current modding capabilities I decided it shouldn't be added due to the current 3 bonus effect limits each race has. I would want to add some extra effects that would improve growth speed or some of other senseable affect medical supplies would have but that would mean I would have to add it manually to every race and take up one of their slots, which I could use in a more interesting way with other things. Which brings me to weapons.. I thought about weapons at one time and in a way its still not totally out of the question. Like I could make it to where having it at colony provides a bonus to troops of some sort. But the only problem I see with it is that I wouldn't want it to be a luxury resource so a means of consuming it I am not sure of how I could do so. If only I could make it a requirement to recruit troops, now THAT would get me to add it in a heartbeat!

And finally about the narcotics, That is certainly not out of the question, though I would want it to have a bonus effect to populations which would yet again pose some balance and limitaion difficulties. I will certainly give it another look in a later version when the core mod is running fairly smooth. :) I wont touch on radioactive materials since it's kindaaaa already in... (Radioactives) ;P

But thanks everyone for the Suggestions! They are certainly appreciated and im glad this mod has developed a decent amount of enthusiasm with some of you. ^^
But I think right now im just going to stick with this current resource plan and get the core mod functioning and the strategic resources balanced before I decide to amend/add/change anything more right now. THe most difficult part is getting the strategic resources working and fairly balanced. Right now even before any playtesting I still have to get the components working right and the race bonuses reassigned to the new luxurys. WHich is pretty tedious and time consuming. But once thats over with and its been out with a week or so of solid playtesting and balancing then we can go to town with getting the luxury and manufactured resources in a better state and just go to town adding/changing/switching things around ;). Just not the strategic, they are the most difficult to change due to Id's and how much is affect when anything is changed. At the most for a good while all i will do is maybe add a new strategic resource or two.

Though be expecting v0.2.0 sometime early next week. I plan on writing up a full readme to cover all the finer details as well as do some personal playtesting for a few days just to make sure it's not totally broken lol
Ill make sure to keep you guys up to date as I go ;)

Peace out!
Uberknight72
ChildServices

Post by ChildServices »

Narcotics would only be really a reasonable resource if they had drawbacks (negative production possibly?) as well as benefits, and were only able to be produced by pirate empires (so they have to be smuggled)
Alexander the Great, his name struck fear into hearts of men.
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

Looking forward to it any chance of a DW Extended version?
uberknight72

Post by uberknight72 »

ORIGINAL: Tanaka

Looking forward to it any chance of a DW Extended version?

Absolutely [;)]

Just a little later on
FireLion1983

Post by FireLion1983 »

Narcotics would only be really a reasonable resource if they had drawbacks (negative production possibly?) as well as benefits, and were only able to be produced by pirate empires (so they have to be smuggled)
Why? It's not as if they're not already producing them... and why would you not expect narcotics to be produced on planets with normal empires? If we met an alien race, I bet the marketing departments of cigarettes, alcohol, etc. would be working overtime! :P
VorteeX

Post by VorteeX »

topic going too faar to the back ... so i bring him to the front [:D]
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

I think that this was abandoned.
FireLion1983

Post by FireLion1983 »

It's only been a few days. Benefit of the doubt, and all that... [:'(]
uberknight72

Post by uberknight72 »

Not abandoned, just delayed. Due in part. My grandmother passed away a few weeks ago and i had to fly to california and ive been there the past two weeks. Having little to no access to internet or my laptop. And along with that ive hit a wall shortly beforehand that i am having a hell of a time overcoming. Hopefully sometime ill put together a more polished functioning build of the current one until i can figure out whats wrong with my new build.

Ive just been very busy and othrr matters have gripped my attention and time lately. I will get back to working on this once all this has passed. Its been hell lately :(
Sorry everyone
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

It's cool man, sorry about your grandmother. Take your time, but keep us updated this is a great community we can probably help in some way.

Return to “Design and Modding”