Please improve the Multiplayer Lobby!

Post bug reports and ask for support here.
PztCrackwise

Please improve the Multiplayer Lobby!

Post by PztCrackwise »

The multiplayer lobby has various issues which make it not very comfortable for arranging games.

People's names appear on the left side. But it is not possible to understand whether they are already on a multiplayer game or not. Also I noticed when I choose a person's name and click join afterwards, it says "waiting for oppnonent etc." but I can't seem to cancel this thing.

It would really be nice if you could improve the multiplayer aspect of this game a little more.

Another thing: Since the game is now integrated with Steam, can't the lobby somehow be formed in Steam? Steam is very convenient to meet other players and chat. A steam lobby (if possible) would probably be much easier for hosting MP games.

Cheers,

Crackwise
CGGrognard

RE: Please improve the Multiplayer Lobby!

Post by CGGrognard »

As I understand, the lobby is what it is with no Steam integration. Most who go through the game lobby have the same concerns, including myself.

I look for opponents on Steam through the Close Combat Fanatics Group there. Through Steam chat, my opponent and I decide on mission settings and sides so once we're in the Gateway To Caen lobby, we're ready to go.

Look me up on Steam should you want a battle.

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu
Platoon_Michael

Post by Platoon_Michael »

Being able to send a PM to said player would be of great help.
I have no idea if their name is displayed because their watching the MP screen waiting to join.
Or if they've minimized the screen and are surfing.
I have used the Chat option but no response,so I assume their surfing.

A ping noise or something to notify me when someone enters the MP lobby would be nice too.

My game locks up too if I just pick a name and try to connect.
Platoon_Michael

I'd also like to know what happens to players names in the Lobby when they are playing?
anything?
nothing?

Be nice to know if they are in a game so I don't try inviting them by just Hosting away.
CGGrognard

Post by CGGrognard »

Can't confirm this when in the game, but I believe that once you're in a game, your name is removed from the lobby. Would the "chat" option work in lieu of PM, by clicking the player you want to chat with, click "chat", enter and begin typing.
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu
Platoon_Michael

I think you may be right about names diapering when playing.
I too can not confirm that because I'm a game playing. :)

But based on last nights game I'd have to think so.
Was playing sickf1 when our game got disconnected,afterwards when chatting with him in the Lobby he stated that my name was not displayed as being in the Lobby.

I'd have to say the only issues I've had so far is one freeze/lock up during Battle.(I had to CTRL/Delete and end the game through the Task Manager.)
1 disconnect (Took me straight back to the Lobby)

I've learned real quick NOT to just click on someones name and Host away.
If I do that's when I have to CTRL/Delete and end the game through the Task Manager.

I always make sure I've got a chat confirmation with a player before hosting.

I'm not sure about your chat option as I don't know would I see just that chat or still see everyone else's chat while doing what you mentioned.
If ones name could just change color as to if he is even in the Lobby and not minimized the screen and off surfing would be awesome.
Or some sort of here,away option by said name.

What ever you may be able to choose I'd keep it simple.
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Names do disappear when playing but not while in game setup. We're changing it so that when you are connecting to another player and setting the options for the game you don't get listed to avoid confusion.

You can chat to anyone in the lobby using the lobby chat so I'm not sure what PM would add. PM is only useful if there are hundreds of players and you want to target a specific one. Games of this type don't tend to have lobby's that busy so its a redundant feature and I'd rather spend time elsewhere.

We had some problems before release with locking up in the host of join but we found it was related to the direct connection code which we disabled until it could be fixed. If you are still having problems can you list how often it happens and if there is any pattern to what you see. With multiplayer unfortunately checking it works once tells you nothing and failing once similarly. Its all about reliability and %. This is why its so hard to test as you need to run hundreds of games to get any meaningful data and then when you find and fix an issue hundreds more.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
Platoon_Michael

I'd say I've maybe played 15-20 games online.
And for the most part its been fine.
An occasional disconnect once in a while,but I understand thats gonna happen.
Even on Game Ranger that happens.

Three times yesterday when someone sent me a request to host a game it would just lock up on my end.
If I send the invite to play it seems fine.

I'm fine without the PM thing,but it would nice if the Lobby made some sort of sound when someone enters,I do surf or goof off when waiting for someone to show up.
Platoon_Michael

It does look as if one uses the Truce option it is causing games to lock up.
PztCrackwise

Post by PztCrackwise »

I can confirm that truce seems to be a trouble maker in terms of multiplayer games. I had once offered truce and then withdrew it. Still, the game froze at 1:00 minute before the timer ends. My opponent was also complaining about how truce was kind of bugged and tended to freeze the games.
Hetser

Post by Hetser »

This version is also freezing? (Happened to me so often in Panthers in the Fug that I was convinced my opponent was killing a thread using ProcExplorer since it only happened when he was losing.)

We need the developers to enable a Hard automatic save function, since it is difficult to imagine playing a Grand Campaign and asking your opponent to lineup his tanks and infantry in the array of the last frozen BG, to be slaughtered by you so as to bring the game back to where it was when he was losing. After weeks, months of a GC you are going to get one cranky player rage-quitting because he thinks he deserves a replay. What he gets is another kick at the can after he has discovered all your ambush points.
Cheerios
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

ORIGINAL: Hetser
This version is also freezing?

Are you saying you are personally seeing end of battle lock-ups with the very latest (1.01) patch?

The game does save after the end of every battle, and this save file is very rarely lost. The worst case scenario should be replaying that one battle.

Steve

Return to “Tech Support”