Sitting on the fence

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Hotschi

Sitting on the fence

Post by Hotschi »

Since a couple of days I am pondering to get this title, but first I have a couple questions;

.) Does it run stable, or is there a tendency to crash?

.) Any game-stopping bugs left?

.) What's with all the downloads on offer in the sticky section here (sounds, images etc.),
are they included in already available patches, are they required stuff, or simply optional?

.) Same with DB-updates, are these mods or made by the developers, optional or required?

.) The last modern era game/sim I played was Sub Command, I am no ex-serviceman, but I know what
target illumination means and have already heard about jammers and sensors and do have some ideas
how all this toys work - I like complex games, but this sim also recommendable to people with
time-constraints (aka family [:D] ?
"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.
ExNusquam

RE: Sitting on the fence

Post by ExNusquam »

1-I've run into some crashes, but they're very intermittent and the devs are great with fixing issues in new builds.
2-None that I've noted!
3-All of the downloads are totally optional. They are things like sounds, database images or extra scenarios.
4-DB updates are official and are pushed out with new builds from the developers
5-No, CMANO is like a black hole. You think you've been playing for 45 minutes and it's been 5 hours.
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

To be fair, all WS people are also family men [:)]
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

I had a couple crashes on the release version, but nothing since.

The only real significant bugs are in the beta builds. If you stick to official releases, you'll not see much.

Downloads are just as mentioned...completely optional. I wouldn't play without them, but don't need them.

If you stick to simple scenarios at first and use the resources of the community, you should be OK. Again, don't jump into complex 1000 unit scenarios and expect to master them immediately.
dcpollay

Post by dcpollay »

As for the "Family-Friendly"....The game runs in real-time. If you try it out and still decide to stick with the family occasionally, you can Pause, Save, and come back to the game later. [:)]
"It's all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand."

Formerly known as Colonel Mustard, before I got Slitherine Syndrome.
Hotschi

Post by Hotschi »

Thanks for the input gentlemen, you may have guessed it, I already made my decision before posting, I just needed a single positive answer - so I can blame you guys [:D]

Downloading while writing this post.... family or other time-consuming things (like having to work for crust) is something which ... one has to live with, so I'll keep my family [:D].

Looking forward to playing smaller scenarios, and learning a lot about the art of modern warfare. Guess Baloogan's website - excellent work btw - is a good source on anything concerning CMNO.

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Hope you have fun with it Hotschi[:)]
smudge56

Post by smudge56 »

Welcome to your new family :). Also checkout http://baloogancampaign.com/

he has numerous videos explaining the game and hint, tips etc.

again welcome
AKA - Smudge
Hotschi

Post by Hotschi »

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

Hope you have fun with it Hotschi[:)]

You bet!

I tell you what, downloading the 2.49 Gb release was a blast, I got a real nice and fast connection on this one,
totally unexpected in a Middle European Friday night. Then I discovered the 1.02 release in the Members Club and
wtf [X(] - don't need that one, 1.03 is a comprehensive patch, will do. Installing today when wife gets to work

Then I'll see what to get off the stickies here on top - any recommendations? I guess "get everything", eh?

Thanks for the welcome gentlemen - I already fancy myself on the bridge of a nice shiny new Ticonderoga cruiser,
wondering what that innocent looking button over there does... [:D]

Feltan

Post by Feltan »

Hotschi,

Guten tag!

Well, the Ticonderoga's aren't new as you will learn. In fact, depending on how things go, they are all slated for the breaker yards with no replacement in sight. The thinking is that at some point in the future, surfaces forces for the US will consist of Arliegh Burke class DDG's and LCS's only.

Regards,
Feltan

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”