UI Suggestions

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Stopple

UI Suggestions

Post by Stopple »

Ship Controls
Shift clicking a ship while having ship(s) selected will add the ship to the current group
Shift clicking a ship's icon in the group area will remove that ship from the group
If a selected ship has queued commands, draw ghost markers at the destinations
Allow direct combat stance control on ships (am I missing something here? I have to assign a ship stance to an order type to change combat stance on a ship?)
If a single ship is selected, show cargo icons on the top level screen
If hovering a ship, show the size category in a different color before the ship's name. ex: [Frigate] Nature's Blessing

Spy Stuff
When assigning spy missions, grey out any choice which has no available sub-choice selections
When changing empires in spy mission, retain previous mission type and duration (if possible)
When changing empires in spy mission, auto select the first available mission type if no mission type is selected
When changing spy missions, retain previous duration choice and apply to the new choice
When choosing a spy for spy missions, show a top x list of available missions based on success rate
ldog

RE: UI Suggestions

Post by ldog »

+1
These are all little annoyances I share.
Bingeling

RE: UI Suggestions

Post by Bingeling »

Either shift of control clicking lets you group ships if clicking them on the "normal map". It is fiddly, it is not reliable, and if you miss the ship you lose the group (but can always "previous", I guess).

There is a combat stance button which I think is either top right or bottom right around the selection panel. It should work on both fleets and single ships, but will be overruled after it executes a mission (or possibly even when it gets a mission). But ships are not eager to do much while having a task, anyways.

Otherwise, good suggestions. A quick way to see ship cargo is something that I want (the ship list can take some time to open). Watching queued commands somehow would be nice. Shift clicking in selection box to remove ship would be very nice. I think it should be control click according to normal window shortcuts, though (like the ship list has).

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”