Developer's thoughts before game came to be

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Fleshbits

Developer's thoughts before game came to be

Post by Fleshbits »

I wonder if the developer first started making a simulation with no players and then bit by bit added the ability to control things.

I've often thought it might be fun to make an economic simulation in space and just let it run, viewing log files, so I didn't have to worry about graphics and the stuff that takes forever. Just do the fun stuff. AI and the actual logic of the different objects involved and then come around and fill in the rest later.

I thought that then I might add a 2D visualization of it, and then player control.

Last attempt at making a game ended up being 6 years in graphics programming land and I frankly got sick of it because there was no meat.
Windows 7 64 bit, i7 930, GTX670, 12 gig DDR 1300
ehsumrell1

RE: Developer's thoughts before game came to be

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: Fleshbits

I wonder if the developer first started making a simulation with no players and then bit by bit added the ability to control things.

Hello Fleshbits;
Not exactly the answer to your question, but below is a link to a 2011 interview done with Elliot Gibbs, Distant Worlds' developer. It tells how Elliot got this all started.
[:)]

http://truepcgaming.com/2011/10/28/4x-space-odyssey-distant-worlds-interview/
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”