All You new DW players satisifed?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Zazen

All You new DW players satisifed?

Post by Zazen »

I am curious because I devoted a fair bit of time over on the Steam forums answering questions and giving my own testimonials as to the awesome-ness of DW.

How satisfied are you new players from the Steam launch that DW is a fantastic 4x Game?
IceBeast

RE: All You new DW players satisifed?

Post by IceBeast »

As a new player who only learned about this game via RPS, I have to say I've missed out on a fantastic game. I'm enjoying this game more than I thought and find that I would rather play it over pretty much anything else at the moment. If it wasn't for my other LPs, I probably would :-). Some of the mechanics are a bit obtuse, but I find its not difficult to find out what I did wrong or how to fix something and the game is rather forgiving (at least on Normal).
Wizaerd

Post by Wizaerd »

I wasn't waiting for a Steam release to get this game, I was waiting on the all inclusive bundled version for 1 single price. But with that said, since it released on Steam I went ahead and purchased it there. I know I should've purchased here so Matrix would get more of the $$ but Steam was just so convenient for the purchase, the download, and the updates.

However, upon actually being able to play the game, and absolutely loving it, I'm considering purchasing another copy just so Matrix does get the full amount. This game is fantastic, and I'm glad I got it.
SirFinbar

Post by SirFinbar »

Having a blast, also rationing my playtime to the evenings. Game is absorbing!
dannyslag

Post by dannyslag »

satisfied is an understatement.

I am a huge space 4x fan, it's my favorite genre. I've played every one. How did I never know about this game!?!?!? ok honestly I think i've seen it offhandedly mentioned on random internet places by people saying "no seriously this game is the best," googled it and thought wtf is this. but never gave it much thought because I didn't recognize the title, didn't really get it from what I read. I think that's part of it's problem, $70 for a game most people have never heard of, seemed like a joke. But it's worth every single penny. I'd pay twice that for it now having tried it.

Sword of the stars (1 not 2) has been my favorite game since it came out, yes it's better than MOO in every way.....that is until I played distant worlds which has completley unseated SotS as the best 4x game i've played.
This game is amazing.
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

I'm not new to the game, but i just wanted to say that aside from some minor things that i feel were over looked or under prioritized this game is imo by a large margin the best 4x game in existence.
Casinn

Post by Casinn »

I've eyed it for a long time, only bought because it popped up on steam... and haven't played any of my other games since. Should have gotten this a long time ago. :)
Wanabe

Post by Wanabe »

Very satisfied.
Gregorovitch55

Post by Gregorovitch55 »

Thumbs up so far.

I watched quite a few of Das & Larry's LPs before Universe came out so I knew roughly what to expect. However the extent of the difference between DW and the rest really needs to be experienced first hand IMO. The standout for me is that in games like Endless Space, GalCiv, Sins etc the much more limited, "board game" like maps translate to a comparatively limited number of strategic situations and options whereas in DW the complexity of the map geography and geology, the much looser colonization patterns and the resultant myriads of different subtle strategic considerations and available options take things to another level.
jdavidw13

Post by jdavidw13 »

Bought this game last night and played for a few hours. I'm really loving it so far. My one complaint, big complaint, is the size of the font and the UI. It's too small, and there's no option to enlarge it!
ShadowB

Post by ShadowB »

Overall I'm quite satisfied. I got the base game years ago, but performance issues turned me off. And the other day I decided to give DW another shot, buying Universe via Steam.

So far, it's been great, even if the game could run better at times, the interface's a bit clunky and the AI behaves dumbly every now and then. But now I know much more than I ever bothered to learn the last time I played it, and I'm having an excellent time.
elanaagain

Post by elanaagain »

Very satisfied. Very, very satisfied. Oh and did I mention I am satisfied with DWU?
USA = Corporatist Serfdom of America: free range surf technology
Fleshbits

Post by Fleshbits »

It is passing the time. It was worth the money. I don't think it is the greatest game ever, but it did satisfy my craving to activate a few brain cells while playing a game.
Windows 7 64 bit, i7 930, GTX670, 12 gig DDR 1300
Inawordyes

Post by Inawordyes »

I'm enjoying it. I had never heard of the game until shortly before Universe released but I really like it now that I've had a chance to play and mess with it.
Distant Races

The self-titled Crown Prince of Crazy Plans.
Thrake

Post by Thrake »

I'm really satisfied about it, though I was expecting more private/state relationships. As it stands, the private more feels like automated state ships doing stuff for me. I was expecting (hoping) it would be harder to effectively protect them, and perhaps them to miss a bit more rather than being nice little guys. A bit in a lemmings way (the old game), where you have to watch over them carefully to get the better out of it.

I also expected ressources management to be more complex; there are many for sure and it is important to find new sources of rare ones, but I never really find myself in serious ressources shortages. It could have been more interesting if failing to get a decent supply of a specic kind of ressource would have prevented me from seriously building one kind of weapon/shield or wathever, and thus adapt to the initial setup rather than always end up with the same designs.

I have a soft spot for conterintuitive victory conditions. Winning by having the lowest tech level in the universe is definately appealing to me. I just which there where more of those.
Stopple

Post by Stopple »

First 6 or so hours I was thrilled with the game.

Unfortunately the more I play, the more bugs I run into. I come onto the forums to report them, and see other players complaining about the same things.

It's getting to the point where immersion is broken, and have entered the "I guess I'll wait for the next patch" phase.
Pilcrow

Post by Pilcrow »

Since launch I have been playing it non-stop.

I have my quibbles and complains (I hate the ship auto naming system and I like my spreadsheets bigger and with more filtering options) but its the most fun I'm having with a SciFi 4x since I discoverer Sword of the Stars and with a game in general since Dwarf Fortress.
thefinn12345

Post by thefinn12345 »

Honestly as someone who has most (if not all) of the steam 4x games, this is by far the best one - some of the design is a little "iffy" and makes you just want to grab a developer and shake him sometimes, but overall it's really good.
ezzler

Post by ezzler »

Well - i wish i could return it. most unsatisfying.
I wonder what all the rave reviews were about?

I expect that same people that love Admirals Pacific love this.
To me its just a huge, boring automated spreadsheet.

i fully understand that says more about my own game tastes than DW. I shouldn't buy these games that need 10, four hour YouTubes to understand how to play and another ten to tell you why the first ten were a waste of time watching and THESE TEN tell you what you SHOULD be doing if you want to get anywhere.

I thought after 4 coats of paint on this game it would be a gleaming jewel. I don't find it so at all.
Dayblazer

Post by Dayblazer »

ORIGINAL: ezz

To me its just a huge, boring automated spreadsheet.

Why dont you just take Automation off? Or do you and you still find it that way.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”