A preview of the v1.9.5.2 Change List

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Erik Rutins

A preview of the v1.9.5.2 Change List

Post by Erik Rutins »

Coming this week...

This build has the following changes from 1.9.5.1:

CRASH FIXES
- fixed crash when drawing space monsters ("CheckFixNotInSystem")
- fixed rare crash when drawing ships
- fixed rare crash when drawing Empire Navigation Tool

BUG FIXES
- added *possible* fix for issue where view sometimes moves to top-left
- fixed issue where Steam Achievements were often being set prematurely
- fixed AI empires starting and then quickly ending Trade Sanctions - now always honor minimum time period
- fixed RepairBot components being downgraded to Damage Control by AI ship design
- fixed problems when loading and displaying research information when Windows set to some non-English languages (e.g. Turkish)
- ensured that pirate factions are generated at start of a new game when using an existing galaxy map
- slightly increased size of Tutorial screen to account for larger text

GENERAL GAME BALANCE
- adjusted default ship design templates for each race: Large Spaceports have more docking bays and construction yards, Mining Stations have more docking bays, shields and weapons
- low colony tax rates do not increase population growth rates as much as previously, but now make colony more attractive migration destination
- civilian ships now ensure they have enough reactors to power hyperdrives at full speed (same as state ships already did)
- Fighters now weighted higher when evaluating strength of potential attack targets
- AI now willing to build more military ships when at war, especially when have large cash reserves and powerful enemies
- AI now more willing to build more research stations at home colony at game start
- AI takes more care to avoid overspending on troops

EXPLORATION
- Exploration ships now scan for resources more quickly, moving on to next exploration target immediately once resources and ruins investigated
- increased amount of automated Exploration ships that are assigned to simply scout systems for colonization targets and ruins instead of performing full resource scan of system and all resources

FLEETS
- AI fleets are now better at coordinating multi-fleet attacks within own empire against single enemy target (beyond just coordinated fleet attacks with allies)
- increased ratio of AI-created large fleets versus small strike forces (i.e. more large fleets)

OTHER
- now force immediate update of stardate and cash display when open a new screen, e.g. Empire Summary screen
- possession of an operational planet destroyer negatively affects diplomatic relations with other empires ("We are envious of your huge strength and power")
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Icemania

RE: A preview of the v1.9.5.2 Change List

Post by Icemania »

Sounds like some really good changes Erik. I look forward to seeing it in an action and continuing to add comments to assist with future patches.
Raap

Post by Raap »

Those are some excellent and much needed changes, much appreciated.
Gregorovitch55

Post by Gregorovitch55 »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

- possession of an operational planet destroyer negatively affects diplomatic relations with other empires

No, really? [:D]
Sieben_slith

Post by Sieben_slith »

Another update already? You guys are really putting the effort into this game. I hope that means it's getting the audience it's always deserved. Not that you wouldn't otherwise, but, well, you know what I mean...

Please let us know if the new patch will bork our saved games.
A soldier has a hard life, and but little consideration.

Robert E. Lee (in a letter to his wife, Mary), 1855
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

BUG FIXES
- added *possible* fix for issue where view sometimes moves to top-left

If this is true I will buy another copy of the game [:)] thanks for the attention.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

FYI the beta version of 1.9.5.2 is now available here:

tm.asp?m=3626796
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Raap

Post by Raap »

Wot, 400mb!?
StarLab

Post by StarLab »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

- low colony tax rates do not increase population growth rates as much as previously, but now make colony more attractive migration destination

Oh, man! That was my favourite exploit! Oh well... [:D]
Ralzakark

Post by Ralzakark »

Some good stuff here, thanks Eric!
Ossipago, Barbatus, and Famulimus
Azurian

Post by Azurian »

When are race specific tech trees coming out?
Buio

Post by Buio »

Thanks, downloaded the beta on Steam.
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

If zero tax rates doesn't result in max growth then what does? I don't mean to sound negative but it's fairly silly if the racial growth rates are essentially just for show and largely impossible to actually achieve in the game.
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

Err racial growth rates are the same as before.
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

I'm talking about this:

Unless they've made the difference between zero and 1-10% tax rates even bigger, it would seem to imply that zero tax growth is reduced. Only that doesn't make much sense to me, because the zero tax rates were actually the same as those specified in the race files. So if you can't grow Humans at 18% under zero tax growth because the pop growth under low tax conditions have been reduced then when can you grow Humans at 18%?

I'd just test this out instead of asking but my computer is being used for something else right now so that's not an option.
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

- fixed AI empires starting and then quickly ending Trade Sanctions - now always honor minimum time period

I assume their trade sanctions on you lower their opinion of your empire, which leads to dislike then more trade sanctions then war? Forcing player to work to improve relations or go to war? Correct?

- fixed RepairBot components being downgraded to Damage Control by AI ship design

Sounds good, didn't know it was a bug.

- adjusted default ship design templates for each race: Large Spaceports have more docking bays and construction yards, Mining Stations have more docking bays, shields and weapons

YES. YES. YES. YES. Also feel free to optimize each race's ship and bases as that is the biggest thing that makes the game easy and much less challenging than it should be. Each race should prioritize one weapon only, tbh.

Good, good, good, gut! Also, put in limit on 50% max tax rate and 10% minimum limit on taxes. No exploits for Timo to make game too easy!

- Fighters now weighted higher when evaluating strength of potential attack targets

YES. Fighters are pwnage.

- AI now willing to build more military ships when at war, especially when have large cash reserves and powerful enemies
- AI now more willing to build more research stations at home colony at game start
- AI takes more care to avoid overspending on troops

Whoa there, REAL AI fixes!!! Now, you lot (? ... the one dev who works on this, I guess) might think "omigosh, I don't want to spruce up the AI too much, what about the noob new players". RESIST that thought. People who buy and play 4X games, and DW specifically, WANT A CHALLENGE. Make the AI smart and its ships and bases well designed. Now, to help the newer players, or Timo when he is drunk, just do what other games do - EASY gives bonus to player and demerits to AI, NORMAL all is fair, HARD gives bonuses to AI, you know the drill.

- Exploration ships now scan for resources more quickly, moving on to next exploration target immediately once resources and ruins investigated

Yes, good, good.

- increased amount of automated Exploration ships that are assigned to simply scout systems for colonization targets and ruins instead of performing full resource scan of system and all resources

Unpossible. This has been a problem for years. All of us older players have suffered through it, and now that you have gotten an infusion of a gazillion bajillion trillion new Steam buyers/players you fix it?! Unfair!

All kidding aside, explorations need to go directly to a ruin in the system FIRST, and I assume that they do now.

- increased ratio of AI-created large fleets versus small strike forces (i.e. more large fleets)
Good.

- possession of an operational planet destroyer negatively affects diplomatic relations with other empires ("We are envious of your huge strength and power")

Great!
NEWBIE GUIDE Distant Worlds Universe
http://tinyurl.com/k3frrle

War in the Pacific Poradnik po Polsku
http://tinyurl.com/nxd4cesh

INSTALL WITPAE on modern PC
https://tinyurl.com/l5kr6rl
SirFinbar

Post by SirFinbar »

This is fantastic! Thank you Matrix games! Guess I'll have to start a new galaxy... Oh no... [:D]

Also am I missing something about ruins? 'All kidding aside, explorations need to go directly to a ruin in the system FIRST, and I assume that they do now.' - Timotheus

Why is that? Enlighten me!
Nanaki

Post by Nanaki »

Ruins can contain some very nice bonuses, and you need to be the first to them because once they are looted they become 'empty'...
I ate the batter of the bulge at Hans' Haus of Luftwaffles
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

I'm reading this from my vacation on a tropical island, but you guys are making me wish I were at home playing DW!

Love the fixes!
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

Good, good, good, gut! Also, put in limit on 50% max tax rate and 10% minimum limit on taxes. No exploits for Timo to make game too easy!
Ever heard about this place called Monaco, Tim? Yeah. Again, I don't want to sound negative, but throwing in arbitrary nonsense just so people can feel good about not "cheating" in a single player game... Let's just say I'm not a big fan of that approach.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”