Updated manual

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

SSN754planker

RE: Updated manual

Post by SSN754planker »

Baloogan has a wiki on his site for just that purpose...all it needs is input.
MY BOOK LIST
ST1/SS SSN 754
RoryAndersonCDT

Post by RoryAndersonCDT »

A few more links in places might be nice to let people know where it is! [:D]

Plus it would be cool to get the Command manual on there too; in full. With additional details too.
Command Dev Team
Technical Lead
Akmatov

Post by Akmatov »

Finally! Thx for posting [;)]
Werewolf13

Post by Werewolf13 »

ORIGINAL: thewood1

And let's see if this is just blustering...take a snapshot of the refund and post so we can if you follow through.
We don't normally do refunds but based on the number of Matrix games you own and that the developers want it - we will make an exception...

...matrix comments regarding whether a store credit would be OKAY - fine with me...

Do you want $80 or $40X2?

I was fine with store credit and accepted that.

Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
smudge56

Post by smudge56 »

ORIGINAL: Baloogan

A few more links in places might be nice to let people know where it is! [:D]

Plus it would be cool to get the Command manual on there too; in full. With additional details too.

Mate I think some more videos for the new people 'hint hint' ;)
AKA - Smudge
RoryAndersonCDT

Heheheh! [:D]

Would need a list of topics people are interested in.
Command Dev Team
Technical Lead
erichswafford

Post by erichswafford »

Happy to see this Werewolf individual will be pestering some other game's threads, now that he no longer has any business being here (since he doesn't own the game anymore, correct?). Perhaps he will take the advice of his own sig and "get the Hell out of the way!".

It sounds like he would prefer to have a game that's still in 1.00 form, so that the rapid pace of updates won't outpace the manual.

That's pretty much like saying "Hey, don't put that Corvette motor in my sedan for free! Not until you come up with a manual explaining everything!"

Apparently, Free just isn't good enough for some people. Because last time I checked, $79 is what you paid for ver 1.00. If these guys were like Battlefront, you'd have paid about $90 more by now for the engine upgrades.

$79 is the bargain of the friggin' CENTURY for something like this. It has NO competition outside of multi-million $ simulators that can't even be purchased by the likes of us.
"It is right to learn, even from the enemy."
- Ovid
SSN754planker

Post by SSN754planker »

$79 is the bargain of the friggin' CENTURY for something like this. It has NO competition outside of multi-million $ simulators that can't even be purchased by the likes of us.

I was a bit taken back at the price of the game when i first saw it, that was quickly erased when i installed and started playing back in 1.0 days. Now with the updates, and whats on the horizon, this is by far the best bang for your buck you'll ever see out of a simulation such as this.

With the DB picture addons, and descriptions, the database is quickly becoming our own personal copies of several different versions of Jane's manuals. That alone sells me on this sim.
MY BOOK LIST
ST1/SS SSN 754
erichswafford

Post by erichswafford »

I actually mentioned in my review that the price was far less than the reference material I had (Conway's IIRC). The database alone is easily worth $79 to me, but that's just me.

If anything, the game is underpriced IMHO and I've said as much. Most other companies would be charging for these rather substantial updates, but I know the Devs are on a Mission to make this the game they always dreamed about. Looks like they're doing it.
ORIGINAL: SSN754planker

I was a bit taken back at the price of the game when i first saw it, that was quickly erased when i installed and started playing back in 1.0 days. Now with the updates, and whats on the horizon, this is by far the best bang for your buck you'll ever see out of a simulation such as this.

With the DB picture addons, and descriptions, the database is quickly becoming our own personal copies of several different versions of Jane's manuals. That alone sells me on this sim.
"It is right to learn, even from the enemy."
- Ovid
Coiler12

Post by Coiler12 »

The game cost a lot, but I'd rather have $80 worth of content than $20 worth of nothing.
nogravity

Post by nogravity »

To be honest, I believe for most players of this game, $79 is not much. It is however rather prohibitive for new players who had no experience with Harpoon or knowing what this game is about.
jdkbph

Post by jdkbph »

I agree with all who say the game is well worth the price and then some. However, I do understand the objection. The problem is not whether it's worth it to those who know what it is... it's whether what it is will be worth it to those who don't. There's no "safe" entry point for the uninitiated.

A demo for a game like this would probably be a good idea. Given that the devs already have a time expiration mechanism (used for the beta builds), I'm wondering if it would really be all that difficult...?

JD
JD
smudge56

Post by smudge56 »

Good idea it may bring some more people who are reserved about getting over to our side. I agree at the start it was a lot of money for myself but I'm glad I did and the updates and improvements the team have made 'for free', no dlc here made the investment worth it.

keep up the great work guys

Smudge
AKA - Smudge
RoryAndersonCDT

I've put together a list of everything that is new since release:
http://baloogancampaign.com/command-documentation/new/

Please take a look! [:D]
Command Dev Team
Technical Lead
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Thanks Baloogan!

Mike
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

Only one problem Baloogan, the list of changes is longer than the manual. [:D][:D][:D]
Formerly Goodwood

Ginetto

Post by Ginetto »

I don't understand this sudden outburst of bitching about CMANO. I had trouble with it only in the download when I bought it, and that was not MG's fault but the fault of the sketchy reliability of the net's infrastructure where I live (the southern Caucasus). Luckily I also ordered the DVD, so problem solved. The game's devs have been busting their butts for nearly a year to improve the game and bring its DB up to date. Kudoos to them. They have been admirable. I must have downloaded by now at least a dozen builds, always without a hitch. I've played a bunch of scenarios, from simple to complicated, and it never hung up on me.
Ok, so we need a new manual, updated to ver. 104, possibly. But what I really would suggest is that, once it is drafted, somebody edit it thouroughly. The one that came with my DVD would have flunked 8th grade English, in spelling, grammar, syntax and general organization of how the text is presented.
Anyway, this is my 2 cents-worth.
Keep up the good work guys. You have my full support.
Gino
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

Again, I'll point out the supplemental manual that came out with 1.03...the last official version.
Immune

Post by Immune »

Post #1 on these forums (my first post...not THE first post). Standby for CMANO rip!

Just kidding...not going to rip anyone in particular but this may be a bit long-winded since it is a first post. I am a bit puzzled by some of the posts I have read from those who complain about the game/simulator. I purchased this simulator about three weeks ago after I have looked for a serious simulator and came up blank. Harpoon and Falcon 4 are aged technology...I am sorry to the die hards out there, but they are obsolete, regardless of how much work is done to them (and it has been IMPRESSIVE. Not taking away from the hard work put in).

Panzer Corps was great fun, but it has its shortcomings for its simplicity, for what I was looking for (something more realistic and hardcore). Armed Assault (series) is great for a first person simulator experience and judging by what the Marine Corps and Army are doing with work a few of my compatriots and I did back in the day, the series does its work very well (I will forever be in love with ArmA).

Then I ran into CMANO. Bravo gentlemen (and ladies if there are females on the dev team). Yes, there are shortcomings. Yes, I have had a number crashes. Yes, I have had my tail handed to me by the enemy...and Yes, I have handed my enemy's tail to them. I clearly appreciate that there is a wide variety of users out there and because the price is steep (initially), users expect the simulator to be what they wanted.

My first question is, have you ever heard of a software company giving refunds? I have not. A massive +1 right there. That means the devs actually care and are not putting out a "cash cow" (regardless of how great or crappy the title is).
I have seen post after post from devs asking "What caused the crash", "Help us make this better for you" etc...name me one developer that currently holds that mentality. This is a very rare quality which I hope is allowed to flourish! Not to say they are the single developer that is in touch with their community, but these are the first forums I have seen devs consistently active in!

Are their crashes? Yup. Find me one piece of software that does not. As soon as I become more familiar with the game and understand what I am looking at and what actions I was doing to cause the crash, I will begin posting screenshots (right now, I would be, "umm...I think I clicked the thing when the simulator was doing something over there"...not helpful).

There seems to be two issues I have noticed, entitled and instant gratification seeking users (those unhappy with the simulator and have a bad attitude) and lack of patience on the part of active users (those who are at a high level of knowledge and assuming everything is easy). This is not unique to these forums and will likely never go away...but you can work on yourself to improve how you come across...up to you. This does not apply to the vast majority of novice and veteran. If you are a punk, this applies to you. If you are cool, it does not.

Those complaining how the manual is not updated...I have no kind words for. Again, I have had this simulator for two weeks and am digging into the game and resources available to learn more. My advice? Push this software to its limits. Try to break it. Tweak it, play it, push it. That is how you learn things. Just like when you first move into a city. Go get yourself lost and you will learn the place faster. You do not need a manual that explicitly drives every potential detail of the game.

Is a manual important? Of course it is. Is the previous manual helpful? Considering the depth of the game, not really. However, teamed with the videos provided by Baloogan, that problem is solved. You will spend less time with the videos than you would with a manual. I have watched a good number of the videos and have vastly reduced the learning curve because of it. To the few lazy novice out there, spend a few minutes learning on your own before running for help. This is a game of strategy. You do not learn strategy through books. Ask any Lieutenant who has made two deployments to combat how relevant their Strategic Studies were compared to what they learned in combat from their NCO squad leaders...experience is where you learn the most. Learn through action.

Lastly, regarding the patience of veterans. Remember, you are going to get questions from those who are new to the simulation, and war fighting. I have the warfighting experience and have spent many years teaching future warfighters. Yes, there are stupid questions...but most questions are not stupid...and no question is stupid when the person asking learns something new. Are some repetitive? Sure. Is it wrong to send someone to Google or the search tool after they have asked 3 or 4 questions that could have been answered by a simple search? Nope. However, it is messed up to ridicule someone who asks a question that you learned the answer to only after many frustrated hours. Selfish holding of knowledge or assuming that holding such knowledge gives some level of superiority is simply foolish. And being rude is rarely justified. At the end of the day, novice and experienced need to apply some common sense before putting letters to type. Mutual respect grants an even greater experience for everyone because the quest for knowledge only ends when you are dead.

In closing, this is an amazing effort that has been pulled off. I agree with the large number of users who have shared the accolades of the game and the developers that put it together in a way that allows he community to improve it in their own ways. And thank Baloogan for the NUMEROUS hours you have saved me from frustration!

Just my .02 cents...well...maybe 04 cents given the lengthy post. Sorry about that.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

The only stupid question is the one where the answer is ignored or not followed up on.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”