Ask ally for war-message and reply

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

dvr

Ask ally for war-message and reply

Post by dvr »

Hello fellow Distant World fans,

I was experiencing with a little bit of modding, a race in this case. And although I have no experience in modding whatsoever, it was not that difficult if you stick to the basics and keep the moddingguide close;-).
However, I was changing the dialog file to fit my race, but I know there is a message in game where an allied race asks you to assist them in their war. Is that message not changeable? It doesn't show up in dialog file as far as I can tell.

Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this.

~GrumpyLion89
tjhkkr

RE: Ask ally for war-message and reply

Post by tjhkkr »

There are some generic messages in the GameText.txt file.
You might want to look for it there; as always, make a backup of this file if you start tinkering with it...
Or better yet, put it into your mod directory...

One brief warning: in shadows, you had to replace it in the main game directory for it to pick up the file. I do not know if this got fixed in universe or not. If you tinker with that file, MAKE A BACKUP.
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: dvr

Hello fellow Distant World fans,

I was experiencing with a little bit of modding, a race in this case. And although I have no experience in modding whatsoever, it was not that difficult if you stick to the basics and keep the moddingguide close;-).
However, I was changing the dialog file to fit my race, but I know there is a message in game where an allied race asks you to assist them in their war. Is that message not changeable? It doesn't show up in dialog file as far as I can tell.

Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this.

~GrumpyLion89
Hello Dvr, and welcome to the forums!

In the dialog files the following heading may be what your looking for:

WAR_DECLARE_REQUESTJOINT

You can alter the statement spoken after the semi-colon.

Hope this helps! [:)]
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
dvr

Post by dvr »

Thanks a lot tjhhr and ehsumrell1!
I continue experimenting with this information. And yes, I keep every file I change separate.
Maybe if I am a little confident I put up the files for people to try it out.
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

There are some generic messages in the GameText.txt file.
You might want to look for it there; as always, make a backup of this file if you start tinkering with it...
Or better yet, put it into your mod directory...

One brief warning: in shadows, you had to replace it in the main game directory for it to pick up the file. I do not know if this got fixed in universe or not. If you tinker with that file, MAKE A BACKUP.

GameText.txt is not a file that can be added to a theme in Universe.

Darkspire
dvr

Post by dvr »

Then I just try the WAR_DECLARE_REQUESTJOINT, see if that is getting me anywhere. If not, it's not a big deal.
Solarius Scorch

Post by Solarius Scorch »

ORIGINAL: dvr

Then I just try the WAR_DECLARE_REQUESTJOINT, see if that is getting me anywhere. If not, it's not a big deal.

I assume you wanted to add the string to the dialogue file?
Forever Future 1.7 for Call to Power - the biggest mod for the best Civilization-like game ever!

Return to “Design and Modding”