Is it possible to mod the Shakturi?

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Antarian

Is it possible to mod the Shakturi?

Post by Antarian »

I'd like to try replacing the Shakturi menace with something else, like make them the Shadows for a Bab 5 mod or the Borg for a Star Trek mod.

You can change most things, but I'm worried there's code in the game to use their name, ect... I thought this version of the game would finally allow the ability to build your own custom storyline...
"If there are gods, they do not care, and justice always goes to the strong. But remember this: All that is done before the naked stars is remembered" Klingon proverb.
AnddyiRaynor

RE: Is it possible to mod the Shakturi?

Post by AnddyiRaynor »

You probably could just change the name inside of their race .txt and leave the name of the file as shakturi so that the game overwrites the main directory when you load up the game. That's all you'd need to do as it's the only place that actually names them in the game I think. Idk if you'd have problems with the other files. As you'd have to figure out what you'd call them in racesbiases.txt, is the game smart enough to differentiate between the capital name in the text and w.e name the file is named?
Rahal

Post by Rahal »

The Mass Effect mod does this so I guess you could poke around in those files?
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: Antarian

I'd like to try replacing the Shakturi menace with something else, like make them the Shadows for a Bab 5 mod or the Borg for a Star Trek mod.

You can change most things, but I'm worried there's code in the game to use their name, ect... I thought this version of the game would finally allow the ability to build your own custom storyline...
At the present time, it is my belief that the 'Shakturi' and 'Mechanoids' race names are hard coded in
the executive file. Since there are multiple ways to play the game (with/without storylines, etc.), I
would think that is the way Elliot has it. I've tried to do both of the same above for mods in Shadows
but the game crashes. Elliot or Erik, please chime in here on this if I am incorrect.
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

Return to “Design and Modding”