Modding stars on the galaxy map. Is it possible?

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Hannable

Modding stars on the galaxy map. Is it possible?

Post by Hannable »

I have some nice .png images of stars that I would like to use in place of the default "dots" on the galaxy map. I tried replacing the StarDisk_XXX files in the root directory, but the only thing that changed was the star disk images in the editor menu. If I select the changed star to place on the map, it reverts back to the default image.

Also, is there a way to convet an animated .gif image to .png, and can .png files be animated?
"Only one human captain has survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else." - Delenn of Minbar
Buio

RE: Modding stars on the galaxy map. Is it possible?

Post by Buio »

No, it's an coded effect as far as I know. For the background stars in zoomed in mode, only thing you can do is turn it down/crank it up in Options. For the zoomed out star images, they are as they are. Only thing you can change is the galaxy background and nebula clouds (the latter requires overwriting the default images, they are not included in the moddable images).
Hannable

Post by Hannable »

Ah, that's disappointing. I had some really nice looking stars that I wanted to try out.

Thanks for letting me know, though.
"Only one human captain has survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else." - Delenn of Minbar
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

I am not so sure; I am not at my home at the moment, but I am pretty sure there is something called mapstars directory; look around for it or something like that name.
If you do modify it, MAKE SURE you back up the original stuff!
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Hannable

Post by Hannable »

Yeah, the mapstars files are where you'll find folders for each type of star. Inside are folders called StarDisk_XXX (the x's being a three digit number.)

I tried replacing those files with my own files, but the only thing that was changed was the star disk images in the game editor under stars (where you can manually place stars on the map). It doesn't seem to change the stars that are actually on the map.

Even if i select the star image from the editor that is modded and try to place one on the galaxy map, it reverts back to the default image. I've looked all over the directory hoping to find some reference to the actual map stars in the chrome folder and elsewhere, but if any files exist, I'm just not seeing them.

Return to “Design and Modding”