A few question before purchasing the game

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

dreem24

A few question before purchasing the game

Post by dreem24 »

First: Does it have cheats? I know i know cheating is lame but in a single player game it can be really helpfull the first thing i do with games such as this is cheat to get "THE EMPIRE" effect for dramatic purposes [:@] [&o]

Second: Should i buy steam or this version?

Third: Is the modding easy like in sin of a solar empire?

Fourth: Does it have a rich storyline? aka good background
OzoneGrif_slith

RE: A few question before purchasing the game

Post by OzoneGrif_slith »

1) It has an in-game editor which allows cheating to a certain measure. So I guess that's a yes.

2) Buy on the Matrix store if you want to support the developpers, they will give you a Steam key anyway. The process is just a little more complicated, but it's slightly cheaper on the Matrix store if I remember well.

3) There's a huge moding guide delivered with the game. Can't tell compared to SoSE.

4) It's decent, won't make you cry, but you might enjoy it.. especially when the background jumps right to your face to lay its eggs.
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

1) No cheats per se, as in no cheat codes, but there's an in-game editor that you can use to do just about anything you've ever thought about doing with a cheat code.

2) You should definitely get this version. IMO. But the difference between the two versions is practically non-existent. Steam-version has achievements, this version doesn't, but then this version makes up for it by not being on Steam. Oh, and the guy who developed this game gets a bigger cut from Matrix-sales too.

3) The modding is pretty easy, depending on what you want to do. Changing graphics and sounds and whatnot is fairly easy. Changing races isn't a major problem either. Techs can be modified, resources can be added or removed, ship components can be changed a fair bit as well. Fundamental rules and most of the meat on the AI are hardcoded, though.

4) I don't think the storyline is all that rich. It can be enabled or disabled as you please, and if enabled then you get a decent enough story that fits with the game but which doesn*t really force your hands at all. I think it's probably more fitting to say that your empire is the story, much like it is in Civilizations. The background storyline is mostly just scenic decoration. Of course, if you really want to go into story-mode then there*s the Ancient Galaxy, which is a scenario / theme thing that gives you the original story of what happened in the DW universe, and it is quite a bit deeper than the regular storylines.
towerbooks3192

Post by towerbooks3192 »

1) No cheat codes a la "power overwhelming" but there are editors that could change a lot of things in game (i.e spawn a lot of ships, eliminate/add an empire, erase items on the map, etc.)

2) Definitely purchase from Matrix then register it on Slitherine and get Steam keys (you basically have both versions if you purchase direct from matrix/slitherine rather than getting steam)

4) I would say that there is not a very deep storyline but the galactopoedia is filled with lore about the empires and you have some events triggered by things around the galaxy. Mods,Distant Worlds Extended in particular, adds more races and they also added some cool background lore to the added races.

To sum it all up: Buy from matrix directly, take a leap of faith and support a great game. Take it from someone who spent at least $100 just to get the game + expansions prior to universe. Totally worth it!!

et ignobiles oblivio
henri51

Post by henri51 »

Note that there are so many options that one does not really need cheats. Take pirates for instance: you can make them from few to numerous, from near to far, from weak to very strong. As mentioned above there is an in-game editor that allows you to do almost anything you want, for example create new planets or whatever.

Henri

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”