Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0.3 released 40 races

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Haree78

RE: Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0 released 40 races

Post by Haree78 »

ORIGINAL: Ardryn

I've been getting crashes with extended that I haven't with vanilla and turning off the racial events has thus far prevented it, so it seems there's something weird going on with those.
No idea how helpful the crash log will be but here it is:

Code: Select all

Distant Worlds - Crash Dump - 1.9.5.1

5:05:40 PM Thursday, May 29, 2014

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at DistantWorlds.Types.Empire.InitiateRaceEvent(Race race, RaceEvent raceEvent)
    at DistantWorlds.Types.Empire.DoRaceEvent(Race race)
    at DistantWorlds.Types.Empire.ReviewEmpireEvents()
    at DistantWorlds.Types.Empire.DoTasks()
    at DistantWorlds.Types.Habitat.CheckHabitatIsEmpire(Galaxy galaxy)
    at DistantWorlds.Types.Habitat.DoTasks(DateTime time)
    at DistantWorlds.Main.JIuevi9tcRbieZyaK3k(Object , DateTime )
    at DistantWorlds.Main.ury0ME2CKb(DateTime , Int64 , BuiltObjectList , Boolean )
    at DistantWorlds.Main.ProgramLoop()

--- COMPLETE ---

There shouldn't be an update for the patch.

Do you have a save file? I can pass it on for Elliot to look at.
Buio

Post by Buio »

Not had any problems running this mod with the beta. Played perhaps 5 hours or so.
pycco

Post by pycco »

wow, in just under a week that's over 1/3 of shadows downloads in a year. its because your mod is so epic

loving The Banoserit btw very different than i usually play.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
-Mark Twain
AnddyiRaynor

Post by AnddyiRaynor »

In 1.9.4.7 which also applies to the current version there was a change for race resources.

In your mod, the new races says this 'ResourceType: 0=None, 1-41 (which resource, see Modding Guide)

while 1.9.5.0 says:

'ResourceId: -1=None, 0-XX (which resource, see Modding Guide)

This may or not cause bugs, because each of the race resources would now be -1 different than they were before in the current version. So really anything that use to be 0 should be -1.

12. changed race special resources (Resource1Type, Resource2Type, Resource3Type) so that
ZERO DOES NOT = NONE, now -1=None, while 0-XX=ResourceId of resource. This
change requires any existing race mod files to be updated
now clear list of galaxy maps when change themes (i.e. not showing galaxy maps from
previous themes)

So what use to be this

Resource1Type ;14 =Iridium? is now = Gold
Resource1Effect ;1
Resource1Amount ;5

The default races seem to be correct with their 1.9.5.0 versions. It's just that if you want to fix your old races to be what you wanted them to be before you'd have to change that info. Perhaps you did fix that already but left the version numbers and that comment info outdated?
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

The mod was updated during Universe development and was updated based on changes such as that. I obviously missed updating the comments, doesn't affect anything.
Ardryn

Post by Ardryn »

In my current game as the Yor I've so far had no(more?) luck in replicating the crash. The only thing I did differently was not modifying my homeworld at the start of the game with the editor. In all the other games I modified the homeworld to have the maximum number of resources (8) and a 5-10% development ruins. I was keskudons kiadians and a few others in the games that did crash.

Well, now I'm getting a crash on loading the most recent autosave of that game, though the other autosaves are just fine. Here's the link to it.
Auto Save
Again, keep in mind this is with the energy research mod for Expanded.

Oh and the crash dump that went with it.

Code: Select all

Distant Worlds - Crash Dump - 1.9.5.1

11:52:30 PM Friday, May 30, 2014

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at DistantWorlds.Controls.MainView.A5xrTjGY5A0(Habitat , Int32 )
    at DistantWorlds.Controls.MainView.cdPrTgWuDbw(Habitat , Int32 )
    at DistantWorlds.Main.g05RzvgHhM(Object , Boolean )
    at DistantWorlds.Main.G1BRk75mHC(Object )
    at DistantWorlds.Main.Ignite(Game game, String currentFileName)
    at DistantWorlds.Main.Ignite()
    at DistantWorlds.Start.hRolaNgVGQ()
    at DistantWorlds.Start.VB1ImmahhL(Object , EventArgs )

--- COMPLETE ---

LoverIan

Post by LoverIan »

When I tried to go through the cosmodex, it seemed as though all the new races simply replaced old ones in the image files, but it didn't show any new entries. Is this a replace of the races? Also, before the game released, I remember seeing the races listed and described, why did you take them down?

EDIT: I picked my race, and this is a simple replace. The exact same number of playable species is there, but with different images. Is this intentional?
tilarium

Post by tilarium »

Was curious about anything special that needs to be done to add new races into extended. I wanted to add in a couple from the ME mod and some from the Star Trek mods. Also planning to add in some of the awesome ship sets I've been finding around. This is what I do when I really get into a game that allows modding.
AnddyiRaynor

Post by AnddyiRaynor »

Check out Can you create new races? midway down the 1st page me and Darkspire answered that guys question on that. You'll understand how the shipsets are loaded once you read the invidiual races.txt so human.txt for example in the races folder. But the image folder for ships is set to 26 hardcoded maybe but most sets have 26 max and you'll just want to add some extra families than there are races so that you can use those as extra ship images because not all ships come with predefined images in the family. \Distant Worlds Universe\images\units\ships which you'll understand eventually.
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

ORIGINAL: LoverIan

When I tried to go through the cosmodex, it seemed as though all the new races simply replaced old ones in the image files, but it didn't show any new entries. Is this a replace of the races? Also, before the game released, I remember seeing the races listed and described, why did you take them down?

EDIT: I picked my race, and this is a simple replace. The exact same number of playable species is there, but with different images. Is this intentional?

There should be a total of 40 alien races listed in the Galactopedia, if you don't see that many then something has gone wrong in the installation of the mod.
LoverIan

Post by LoverIan »

Nevermind, fixed what I did wrong, thanks! Is there a way for me to use the original images for races, such as the Shandar or Zenox? I like your art, but I've gotten used to the way those races looked. Would it be simple as moving the images from said races out of the folder, and then using the ones from the original?
tilarium

Post by tilarium »

ORIGINAL: LoverIan

Nevermind, fixed what I did wrong, thanks! Is there a way for me to use the original images for races, such as the Shandar or Zenox? I like your art, but I've gotten used to the way those races looked. Would it be simple as moving the images from said races out of the folder, and then using the ones from the original?

Yeah, just have to remove the images in images/units/races. To get the image to show up right in the galactipedia (say that right?) you have to go to the help folder and delete Race_(name) file in there.. so if you wanted to get the original human race you'd delete race_4 and race_4a from the images/units/races folder and then the race_human file from the help folder.
AnddyiRaynor

Post by AnddyiRaynor »

No he should be able to just paste in the pictures from the main version and not delete the help files because they merely load those images from the folder, they don't have them saved within that MHTML file. Not that he couldn't do that but there's no need to even if he just deleted those images he disliked within the mod folder that isn't higher than race_22 which is where this mod starts adding it's races.

Edit: Nope I'm wrong changing the image won't fix/change the galacticpedia image in the mods MHTML.
Byeohazard

RE: Distant Worlds Extended

Post by Byeohazard »

If I have DW:Universe is DW Extended Universe 1.0 all I need to have the complete package or do I need to download the Shadows and Legends additions?
Thanks in advance!
currently playing: Panzer Corps
learning Distant Worlds
pycco

Post by pycco »

no universe is all you need
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
-Mark Twain
Byeohazard

Post by Byeohazard »

Thank you much for the info! I should have keyed into "UNIVERSE" being the latest and greatest but read the title as a general name for the mod (if that makes any scense lol)..anyways thanks again!
learning Distant Worlds
Ardryn

Post by Ardryn »

So I started a new game with Extended and I turned off race events in the start-up options and so far I've had exactly zero crashes. So, I guess the next step will be finding out which race file and which event is causing me to crash.
Byeohazard

Post by Byeohazard »

I am using this mod combined with DAs Chrome Blue mod. I am finding that my overlays of state and private ship vectors not showing up. I also do not see influence showing up on the overlay. Whan I switch back to default I was able to see the overlays. Is this a design decision or did I perhaps goof on the install. Thanks in advance.

Upon further notice: It seems to be isolated to the Shadows expansion (perhaps I am missing a gameplay element)? I started games in other eras (Legends etc.) and overlays looked like they were working.

Searched some more and finally found some info. Gameplay element. I do not have warp engines.
learning Distant Worlds
Locarnus

Post by Locarnus »

I created an extended tech tree mod (called DW:U BalanceMod in honor of CaptainKwok's SE:5 BM),
which also has a version compatible with DW:U Extended 1.0.

The mod basically stretches the tech tree and rebalances early hyperdrives and some other stuff.

tm.asp?m=3624576
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

ORIGINAL: Locarnus

I created an extended tech tree mod (called DW:U BalanceMod in honor of CaptainKwok's SE:5 BM),
which also has a version compatible with DW:U Extended 1.0.

The mod basically stretches the tech tree and rebalances early hyperdrives and some other stuff.

tm.asp?m=3624576

I spotted that mod, sounds awesome, might have to check out how the game feels like that :)

Return to “Design and Modding”