Sam Missions

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

dillonkbase

Sam Missions

Post by dillonkbase »

I would like to activate the radars of a sam and make it aggressively engage the enemy only when an enemy aircraft has violated an area defined.(other radars for other systems are active to determine this)

I have tried multiple mission types for the SAM.. patrol, support, and strike... and none seem to work as I would expect with the event editor.

the trigger i have set is for aircraft entering an area... and the action is mission activate... is there something easy I am missing here?
thewood1

RE: Sam Missions

Post by thewood1 »

I am not sure exactly what you are trying to do, but is opportunity fire on?
dillonkbase

Post by dillonkbase »

What I want is for my SAM to wait to fire or turn on until a target is well within its range... Therefore, I want its ROE to change from opportunity fire OFF to opportunity fire ON, emitting, engaging... I want this to happen IF and ONLY IF an unknown or hostile AIRCRAFT, not any weapons, enters an envelop I have outlined with reference points.

The only way I know to do this is to place the unit on a mission. However, I cannot get the missions I have tried to set up this way to activate.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

If using our new build assign the sam battery to a AAW patrol mission and then add a prosecution area. You can use these to assign SAM, SSM, any unit to a zone of attack. So for example you could line the Persian Gulf with SSM batteries with each one having an area they will attack targets.

Obviously this will be constrained by having to seek an ID but that is a problem in real life too.
dillonkbase

Post by dillonkbase »

I am using the new build... How do restrain the radar until the target is within the the persecution zone...

The emcon is the problem here. I really don't want to expose this sam set until the target is within the smallish persecution zone.

I need a Activate all Emitters when attacking signal.

As for the ID.. the game does a good job classifying vampires vs bogeys(maybe too good of job), I am not worried about neutral forces.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Hmm..

Perhaps try using the event editor to activate the mission on detection? You'll need an another active search radar to help with the trigger.

Let me know how this works out. This is the good stuff[:)]

Mike
dillonkbase

Post by dillonkbase »

ORIGINAL: dillonkbase

I am using the new build... How do restrain the radar until the target is within the the persecution zone...

The emcon is the problem here. I really don't want to expose this sam set until the target is within the smallish persecution zone.

I need a Activate all Emitters when attacking signal.

As for the ID.. the game does a good job classifying vampires vs bogeys(maybe too good of job), I am not worried about neutral forces. And furthermore... its not that I don't want the SAM to shoot down incoming weapons... its is that I want it to delay doing so until it first gets a crack at an aircraft.
dillonkbase

Post by dillonkbase »

Upon detection is working... what is not working is if I set the trigger for "Unit Enters Area"

Looking at it again.. maybe I will try.. "unit remains in area" for .1 second?

And other aew radars are active...
Tomcat84

Post by Tomcat84 »

If you put the unit and the mission on passive radar emcon, it should stay silent until it starts engaging and at that point power on it's FCR. If you use a prosecution area you don't even need the event editor. I can't go to the computer right now but if I have time later I can build you a sample scenario showcasing some options
My Scenarios and Tutorials for Command

(Scenarios focus on air-warfare :) )
dillonkbase

Post by dillonkbase »

That might work Tom, and a sample would be great... although once the FCR comes on and the jigg is up.. the SAM is more than welcome(I think I would prefer it to continue emitting)

As for the trigger... i got it to sort of work using the stays in area trigger(and as soon as the time is up the unit leaves the mission?), but for whatever reason the enter the area trigger will not fire?

SO if anyone has an example scenario where an enters the area trigger activates an AAM patrol that would be great.

Btw... does EMCON change depending on if a units mission is active or not? I think this might actually be the issue here?

[&o]Thanks Guys!
Blas de Lezo

Post by Blas de Lezo »

ORIGINAL: dillonkbase

Btw... does EMCON change depending on if a units mission is active or not? I think this might actually be the issue here?

[&o]Thanks Guys!

Actually, it´s the oyher way around: emisions change depending on the EMCON status, so if you order a mission with EMCON pasive, no emision will be broadcasted...

In your case, no need for use the event editir... just assign the SAM battery to a AAW patrol with a prosecution area (make sure the prosecution area is less that the max range of the missile!), also you must have so kind of early warning net, either a ground EW radar, or an AWACS (like the E-3)... the EW net must have the radar active... and the SAM could be in passive (actually, if you want to ambush anyone your SAM radar MUST be OFF).

This way when a enemy unit enter in the prosecution area (and you will know this thanks to the EW net...) your SAM commander will fire up his radar if needed, specially the Fire Control Radar or the illuminators... and if you are using modern technology (as the NASAM) no radar in the SAM battery will be use at all (nasty stuff, isn´t if?)...

Hope this help!
Tomcat84

Post by Tomcat84 »

Sample mission attached.

The SA-22 is on an AAW patrol mission that is active, with EMCON set to passive, and with a defined prosecution area. A Big Bird radar is active further away. When the SA-22 realizes (cause of the Big Bird) that the contact is within its prosecution area, it lights up its Hotshot FCR and starts firing. When the contact is destroyed it shuts down its FCR again. No event editor needed.

Not sure how to achieve it keeping its FCR on after the initial engagement to be honest. Edit: actually if you really wanted that, it'd be a bit more complex, you could teleport the SAM into position with an active EMCON state from the other side of the globe upon detection trigger of an enemy unit. Make sense?

Hope this helps.
Attachments
SAMS.zip
(6.97 KiB) Downloaded 6 times

dillonkbase

Post by dillonkbase »

Yeah I realize that teleporting could be a solution... its one I am not going to take... Thanks. Now if only I could get one radar to turn on other radars... like a long range EW radar, then turning on local mobile units. I don't want the player to know what he's up against until he is on his way into the target zone.
Tomcat84

Post by Tomcat84 »

That's why I use the way that is in the example scenario.

I don't think real Sam operators would keep radiating their FCRs if there weren't any targets left.

I build a network of EW radars that are active and have my SAMs on passive emcon patrols with prosecution areas. It's a nice mix :)

Edit: I do agree though that there is a use for emcon events. It has been requested before :)

Return to “Tech Support”