Modding Goverments

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Kingah

Modding Goverments

Post by Kingah »

Greetings

I have a slight problem when it comes to modding.
Since the release of Universe I've been busy implementing new homemade goverment types that i felt the game was lacking such as Communism, Fascism, Meritocracy etc.

And now for the problem. I have this premade galaxy with empires in it all set up with borders, stations ,fleets and all with their own costom made triggers and events etc in order for it to become a as nice RP experience as possible.
But i want to change some of these nations goverments to my home made ones.
I have the theme loaded but i cant see the goverment type when i go in to edit empires in the game editor.
I can see the goverments when i try and start a new game but not when im editing a already existing game.

Is it just impossible to edit in these goverment types in a already created game or am i missing something?
Thanks in advance.
ChildServices

RE: Modding Goverments

Post by ChildServices »

Have you accidentally set these government types to race specific (the part that I have bolded and underlined below)?
11, Hive Mind, 0.8, 0.6, 0.95, 1.1, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 0.15, 0.5, 0, 0, 0, 2.2, 1.0, 1.0, 0, 1, Great, , , , , Hive, Collective, Conformity, Consciousness
Alexander the Great, his name struck fear into hearts of men.
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: Kingah

Greetings

I have a slight problem when it comes to modding.
Since the release of Universe I've been busy implementing new homemade goverment types that i felt the game was lacking such as Communism, Fascism, Meritocracy etc.

And now for the problem. I have this premade galaxy with empires in it all set up with borders, stations ,fleets and all with their own costom made triggers and events etc in order for it to become a as nice RP experience as possible.
But i want to change some of these nations goverments to my home made ones.
I have the theme loaded but i cant see the goverment type when i go in to edit empires in the game editor.
I can see the goverments when i try and start a new game but not when im editing a already existing game.

Is it just impossible to edit in these goverment types in a already created game or am i missing something?
Thanks in advance.

Go into the editor
At the bottom of the menu on the left is Edit Empires (image 1 A), click that.
First screen that comes up has a drop down menu with all the valid governments for a theme listed (image 1, B)

Darkspire

Kingah

Post by Kingah »

I've tried that. As I said I can see the new goverment when I'm making a new game using the theme.

But when I'm in a premade galaxy and want to change the goverment form of an empire (still using the same theme) it wont show up.
and no, it's not race specific.

I would post pictures to show but not allowed to 'till i've made 10 posts.

I'm clueless. Any of you have any ideas? It can edit in the goverment form in new games I make but I've put too much work in to this galaxy and would really REALLY want to avoid restarting.
Thanks.
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

I've tried that. As I said I can see the new goverment when I'm making a new game using the theme.

But when I'm in a premade galaxy and want to change the goverment form of an empire (still using the same theme) it wont show up.
and no, it's not race specific.

I would post pictures to show but not allowed to 'till i've made 10 posts.

I'm clueless. Any of you have any ideas? It can edit in the goverment form in new games I make but I've put too much work in to this galaxy and would really REALLY want to avoid restarting.
Thanks.

The image I posted was from a premade galaxy. I can change the government for any of the races in that scenario in the manner described previously.

Is your premade save game /map in the maps folder of your theme?

Have a maps folder in the root folder of your theme (with the map in).
Load DW
Make sure your theme is the default one
Start a new game.
A window will come up saying there is a scenario for this theme.
Ignore the custom start and click play this faction and scenario.
Once the game has loaded go into the editor.
Select Edit Empire.
Choose the empire and change the government.

Darkspire
Kingah

Post by Kingah »

I just did that. Took the save and put it in a "maps" folder in the theme.
Started the game again with the theme loaded. Started new game, selected one of the empires and loaded the galaxy.
Went in to the editor but sure enough, can't see the goverment type.
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

I just did that. Took the save and put it in a "maps" folder in the theme.
Started the game again with the theme loaded. Started new game, selected one of the empires and loaded the galaxy.
Went in to the editor but sure enough, can't see the goverment type.

Well the only option I can give is PM me a link to your theme, including the map obviuosly, the theme must be the same as it was when the map was saved or I will not be able to check. I can have a look then and see what the problem is and hopefully sort this out for you.

Darkspire
Kingah

Post by Kingah »

Wait. You're saying that, once you've created your galaxy. It will not use any new things you've added to the theme pack?
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

Wait. You're saying that, once you've created your galaxy. It will not use any new things you've added to the theme pack?

It will load up any changes in a theme with the map, just to check it I need the theme it that the map was created from. Sorry for the heart attack [:'(]

Darkspire
Kingah

Post by Kingah »

Puh, Alright then. But I seriously can't make heads or tail out of this so if you could take a look that would be greatly appreciated.
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

Puh, Alright then. But I seriously can't make heads or tail out of this so if you could take a look that would be greatly appreciated.

Send me a link to the file in a PM, I will have a look at it and give you the diagnosis [:)]

Darkspire
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

It would appear that it does not load any extra data in on a premade map once saved unfortunately.

I first checked your government file definitions, both are fine.
Loaded DW and started the scenario with the Seventh Reich.
Opened the editor.
Can change to any government but the new one, Communism.

Exit to main menu.
Start a new custom game.
Open the editor.
Can change to any government including Communism.

Not a lot can be done with this, only options are define all the data for a map first and start again or make do with the current government types that you do have for for that map.

Other thing is that you need to update the shading.png file in the folder;

Matrix Games\Distant Worlds\Customization\RedWingSquad\Images\environment\overlays

You have the old one, 480x480, you need the new one, 456x456.

Darkspire
Kingah

Post by Kingah »

Aww. That's a lot of work to waste then. Oh well, really appreciate the help. And thanks for the extra tip. Was wondering why it didn't work.
ChildServices

Post by ChildServices »

So you have to make everything before making the pre-made scenario? This means, right, that mods which rely solely on pre-made scenarios to deliver their experience are basically a massive pain in the ass to update?

That's a pretty big oversight if it doesn't work that way by design.
Alexander the Great, his name struck fear into hearts of men.
Kingah

Post by Kingah »

Should be kinda far up on their to do list :P
AnddyiRaynor

Post by AnddyiRaynor »

Can you not set 2 special governments to a race? I tried it defaulted to Depotism.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: AnddyiRaynor

Can you not set 2 special governments to a race? I tried it defaulted to Depotism.
You can only have one special government value per race.
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”