Distant Worlds: Infinity Mod [CANCELED, SEE OP]

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Unforeseen

Distant Worlds: Infinity Mod [CANCELED, SEE OP]

Post by Unforeseen »

Canceled. Blackstork has already done nearly everything that I personally wanted to see in DW. The rest I can add with just a couple of other mods. Not worth creating a different mod. Therefore I hereby endorse Blackstork's Beyond Project located here tm.asp?m=3657646
drillerman

RE: [WIP] Orange Mod

Post by drillerman »

The way to slow down the game is to make research expensive. isn't it?
Huh?
Hawkeye_BF

Post by Hawkeye_BF »

Yes thats true. I ever play with 990K costs for research! In this case you need more than 400 years to get all technologies. Its the best way to slow down the game.
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

4OO years seems a bit long xD, seems like the game would end even on sandbox mode by then. I do tend to raise mine a bit, usually around 6OOish. Specifically with this mod I'm slowing down the rate of expansion.
Beastro

Post by Beastro »

ORIGINAL: Hawkeye_BF

Yes thats true. I ever play with 990K costs for research! In this case you need more than 400 years to get all technologies. Its the best way to slow down the game.

How do you go about doing this editing files?

(newbie here)
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

ORIGINAL: Beastro

ORIGINAL: Hawkeye_BF

How do you go about doing this editing files?

(newbie here)
Raising the costs to research is a setting in the custom game creation screen.
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

I've decided to use Das's Chrome UI "Natural" for this mod. Thanks to Das for allowing use of his mod, as required your license is included in the theme directory. I "hope" to have the basics for this mod uploaded in a few days, there are a few mod's that aren't done yet that i'm interested in. As well as one that is restricted, and will have to be downloaded as a stand alone provided there is no change in permission. It however is not complete.
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

[Problem Fixed] The planet issue has been solved. The first release of this mod will include only the basic compilation of mods so far included which will be listed in the main post at the time of release. Please please please if you have any suggestions for mods to add to this overhaul post them here!! Note that this up coming upload will NOT include any changes to expansion speeds. Those will come in a later optional update.
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

The first version of this mod, including the mods listed in the OP is now available for download! If requested I will upload a version including the blue version of Chrome UI instead of natural.

At this point there are several things i haven't modded that i know for sure that i want/plan to; these being the resources/components, the tech tree and the weapon graphics.

For resources i'm highly interested in the Realistic Resource Revamp by Uberknight72 tm.asp?m=3615754, unfortunately there has been no update for almost a week and it may have been abandoned. I'm also paying close attention to Locarnus's balance mod tm.asp?m=3624576, it has encountered a road block and may not be completed for some time.

Weapon graphics are temporarily on hold, as i do not want to go through the trouble of changing all the weapon graphics if i'm just going to have to redo it again if/when the balance mod is released and i'm allowed to use it with Orange mod.. but for your convenience this is the mod i plan to use minus the two recolors i haven't had time to do yet. tm.asp?m=3098682

When i initially announced the mod i mentioned that i would be making it slower, these changes will come in future releases. I'm waiting to see what happens with that balance mod. It may very well be a must have mod.
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

In the next few days i'm going to upload a version including a modified color/image scheme for the weapons. I can't release the actual theme that I am using however as the balance mod by locarnus is still restricted. All of the weapon images are taken directly from msnevil's weapon compilation mod[at the moment] tm.asp?m=3098682 located here if you want to go ahead and download it and change the weapons however you like. Although any future downloads of DWOM will overwrite your changes with mine.

I also recommend BlackAlpha's Music mod from here: tm.asp?m=3635721 as it now appears to be legal. "hopefully". Personally i use songs i bought from two steps from hell. http://www.twostepsfromhell.com/ but i am not currently seeking to upload them at this time.
Alternatively you can disable distant worlds music and listen to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyjJN68dajc which is a pretty darn good compilation of scifi oriented music.

Because there have been no requests for the blue version of this mod, which would include Das' Chrome UI Blue rather than Natural I do not currently have plans to do so at this time.

Thanks to those who have downloaded, making this project worthwhile.
bugbear777

RE: [WIP]Distant Worlds Overhaul Mod "Orange" V1.1

Post by bugbear777 »

Thanks Unforeseen. [:)]
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

Your welcome, I'm glad to you like :D.
vmxa_slith

Post by vmxa_slith »

Lol, I passed this by as the name gave me no information. Now that i see the name is an homage to Moo3 mods, I will be checking it out. I liked the Strawberry mod for Moo3.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Unforeseen

4OO years seems a bit long xD, seems like the game would end even on sandbox mode by then. I do tend to raise mine a bit, usually around 6OOish. Specifically with this mod I'm slowing down the rate of expansion.

Not in a sandbox game. [;)]

I set my research costs to 999k and play in a sandbox with story events on. My games last for weeks. [:)]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

ORIGINAL: vmxa

Lol, I passed this by as the name gave me no information. Now that i see the name is an homage to Moo3 mods, I will be checking it out. I liked the Strawberry mod for Moo3.

Hope you like, all credit goes to the real modders around here though. :D

@Shark7 True, i'm going to playing with 999k myself when i get my setup all sorted out. Still considering if i want to lower colony ship construction speed.
Buio

Post by Buio »

Great overhaul/compilation.
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

Working on those weapon textures/images now that i'm back from my vacation. This is where things will get complicated though, as I'm going to be making modifications to components.txt. This means that future versions of any mod that makes changes to components.txt such as Haree's Extended and Locarnus' Balance mod(Still restricted and on hold] will be incompatible initially and I will have to go in and re add all of my changes to their file.

These changes are pretty basic, just associations for which weapon uses what texture. No one weapon will use the same texture as another, except "maybe" point defense weapons. I haven't decided what i want to use for those.
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

For those of you who are using this mod as a base theme i decided since it's taking me so long to put up an update that I'd make a list of what the next update is going to entail:

It was going to be Version 2.O with the addition of the tech balance mod, however it seems this wont be happening as planned. So we're looking at a 1.9 update.

What to expect: Updates for mods already included in DWOM, the weapon fx changes i've been hyping about for ages, total replacement of star names, Haree's pirate portraits, BlackAlpha's Music mod[this differs from the music i use but its a really good selection and i'm not a fan of the default music], and a few new ship families.

I am just waiting for Haree to update DW Extended and i'll begin working on this.

Some things i want to change in the future: HD Planets, rather than using the ones from GEM as this mod is currently doing. Icemania's AI mod if he makes an extended version. And of course the Tech balance mod.
Shogouki

Post by Shogouki »

Sounds wonderful!
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

I have also decided to upload the Blue Mod version with this update, which the only major change at this point will be that it uses the Blue Chrome UI rather than Natural. It's just a convenience for players who prefer it over Natural.

Return to “Design and Modding”