Tracing supply into ZOC

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Courtenay

Tracing supply into ZOC

Post by Courtenay »

Why is the Burmese MIL in supply?

F8 states that the unit is being supplied from Rangoon. Rangoon is a primary supply source for the Burmese MIL. However, it is unoccupied and in the ZOC of the adjacent Japanese corps. Supply is traced from the unit to the source, not the other way around, thus this unit should, as far as I can tell, be out of supply.
SUPPLY PATHS
Supply paths are traced from a unit to a primary supply source.
LIMITS ON SUPPLY PATHS
You cannot trace a supply path:

Into an enemy ZOC (unless the hex contains a friendly land unit)
(Note that a notional unit, alone in primary supply source in an enemy ZOC, does not have to trace, and is in supply.)

Next post will contain the saved game file.

Attachments
BurmaBug.jpg
BurmaBug.jpg (72.22 KiB) Viewed 75 times
I thought I knew how to play this game....
Courtenay

RE: Tracing supply into ZOC

Post by Courtenay »

Here is the saved game:
Attachments
BurmaBug.zip
(1.62 MiB) Not downloaded yet
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

Rangoon isn't zoc'd.
Head Geek in Charge at politigeek.net - the intersection of politics and all things geeky
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Oh? I hadn't checked to see if Rangoon and the hex east of Rangoon were connected by land. If they aren't that would explain it. However, shouldn't they be? That is not an all sea hexside between the two hexes; there is clearly some land there, enough to connect the two hexes.
An all-sea hexside is a hexside with no land at all.
Finarfïn

Post by Finarfïn »

Hello,

just looking at the map make me think rangoon is in Japanese's ZOC but sometime map is tricky so...

Fin
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

It looks like there's a spec of land keeping the inlet from touching upon the corner of the hex the MIL is in. So I'd say Rangoon is ZoC'd. Maybe Steve can tell us if the data files say if those hexes are fully separated by the sea or not.

It could also be in supply from Mandalay, couldn't it?
Paul
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

I recently tried attacking a british militia in Rangoon from that hex and was not able to. That's why I was so certain it wasn't connected. I don't know/can't say if that's how it is supposed to be or not, but I am sure that is how it is coded.
Head Geek in Charge at politigeek.net - the intersection of politics and all things geeky
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

The nice thing is that it can be verified and put in the game one way or the other rather than folks alternately peering myopically through a magnifying glass and then arguing about what they see... like we do over the board.[;)]
Paul
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I just tried moving from the hex east of Rangoon to Rangoon, and MWiF would not let me. Thus we do not have a supply problem here. We have a map argument.

Should this hexside be an all-sea hexside?
An all-sea hexside is a hexside with no land at all.
We can all look at the picture in my initial post on this thread, and it seems quite clear to me that there is some land connecting the two hexes. Compare this hex with Hamburg or Leeds, which do have all sea hexsides pointing to them, and there is quite a difference.

We can't compare this map to the WiF map, the scales are different. Thus, for example, Patrice Forno's disambiguation page is not useful here, because it refers to different maps.

If this hex is supposed to be all sea, fine. However, in that case it should have been drawn as all sea.

Return to “Tech Support”