Noob here. Just a couple questions!

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Caovi

Noob here. Just a couple questions!

Post by Caovi »

Hello all,

First off, I bought the game off steam a couple days ago, and I absolutely love it! I've never really been into the whole 4x space strategy game, but I'm definitely hooked now! The learning curve is a pretty high, but the more I learn, the more worthwhile and fun the game gets!

1.) What are some ideal settings for a very long marathon type game? I have research set to very expensive in my current play through. It definitely seems to be helping. I understand that you can turn off victory conditions (which I did), but I also want really slow progression.

2.) I think the AI in this game is pretty brilliant and spot on! But I am having an issue in the early stages of the game where I notice several ships flying one by one into an area with Giant Kaltors and dying off. I lost 5 or 6 ships and 3 admirals within a mere 15 seconds. Is there anything that can be done for this? It seems to me if a couple ships perished, the others would be alerted an rerouted automatically. I am using automation a good bit since I am a noob and all. Hopefully I can tweak something somewhere to help with this.

I love this game guys! You've gained a fan for life!
FingNewGuy

RE: Noob here. Just a couple questions!

Post by FingNewGuy »

Based on just the info you provided, it seems that the ships flying in to get eaten where either a) not warships, or b) not possessing sufficient technology to prevail against the nasties. Another idea might be to form warships into a fleet and then go in to kill the monsters.
Caovi

Post by Caovi »

Apologies, I failed to mention the Kaltors are hanging out in an asteroid belt. Every once in a while a group of state ships will engage and fail miserably. I'll try playing around with some of the settings a bit more.
Mansen

Post by Mansen »

I had the exact same issue - The AI is terrible at organizing a fleet and sending a sufficient force anywhere.

Really, you'd be much better off manually setting up some fleets and using the behaviour buttons at the bottom of the interface to tell them where to base, whether to be aggressive or not and how far away from their base they will do stuff.

The space creatures in your home system aren't a threat as much as the AI keeps sending single ships without FTL drives or shields to get one shotted by the kaltor that regenerates slowly. You need to go in hard and fast and then take the losses.
Currently Working On:
X-Universe Conversion (Hiatus)
Caovi

Post by Caovi »

Thank you, Mansen!

I'll definitely take your advice. I'm still trying to familiarize myself with the interface. :D
Spacecadet

Post by Spacecadet »

Shields are useless against Kaltors, Armor is the only thing that helps - and that is limited.

From what I'm gathering, you'll need either some heavy firepower or some fast maneuverable ships with long range weapons.

Mansen is correct, you need to hit them hard, they'll actually grow with repeated failures.
CPU: Intel 2700K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GTX 970
Res: 1920 x 1200

Caovi

Post by Caovi »

ORIGINAL: Spacecadet

Mansen is correct, you need to hit them hard, they'll actually grow with repeated failures.

I wasn't aware of this. Thank you for posting, Spacecadet!
Spacecadet

Post by Spacecadet »

ORIGINAL: Caovi

ORIGINAL: Spacecadet

I wasn't aware of this. Thank you for posting, Spacecadet!

Yep, they can also multiply.

CPU: Intel 2700K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GTX 970
Res: 1920 x 1200

Jim D Burns

Post by Jim D Burns »

Try setting research costs to 999 manually, that's the longest game you can set up. I play all my games with he 999 setting and turn off tech trading. With the inability to trade techs the tech race is very long and it also makes your intelligence agents far more important, both for stealing tech and guarding against theft.

Jim
Caovi

Post by Caovi »

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

Try setting research costs to 999 manually, that's the longest game you can set up. I play all my games with he 999 setting and turn off tech trading. With the inability to trade techs the tech race is very long and it also makes your intelligence agents far more important, both for stealing tech and guarding against theft.

Jim

Definitely will do this! Thank you, sir!
Mad Igor

Post by Mad Igor »

i suggest you to learn what each component do and learn how to use them properly (research bases,shipyards etc.)
after that turn of autopgrading,because it's suck.
then make everyship with your own hand (*cough*rockets*cough*).
you just won a game.
10 ships with specific weapon type will just own anything.
and use ur spies to steal tech from pirates. (be warned tho,don't send them with less than 80% succ.)

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”