research question(s)

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

vmxa_slith

research question(s)

Post by vmxa_slith »

Does the total empire potential limit all research actual? Say you have
total empire research potential 869k
total capacity 400k 400k 400k
actual 749k 882k 742k

HW port has 200k 200k 200k
2 labs each with 100k 100k 100k

Does this mean that all actual over 400k in each field is lost?
Does it mean all research over 869k is lost?

If I want to get all the actual, do I need to bump up the total capacity in all fields?
What increases the potential? Just larger pop and more planets?
Spidey

RE: research question(s)

Post by Spidey »

What it means is that your empire has the eggheads to utilize a capacity of 869k while you actually have a capacity of (400 + 400 + 400 = ) 1200k. The actual research you're putting out is 749k, 882k, and 742k respectively. This is a lot more than your capacity because you have multipliers to the efficiency of your research, which for example enables your scientists to exploit a third of that 869 research potential and turn it into an actual energy research output of 882k.
vmxa_slith

Post by vmxa_slith »

So it sounds like I would not want to add capacity at that point, is that correct? To increase my research at that stage I would need more pop?
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

Unless I've misunderstood the system completely, no, you shouldn't want to add more capacity at that point. And to increase research further, you'd presumably need more pop and more colonies with high development, though there is a limit to how high you can push your research potential before it peaks. I think it's 990k or so.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”