playstyle-question for the pirat-players

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Kizucha

playstyle-question for the pirat-players

Post by Kizucha »

Hey everone, pirat friends.[;)]

I have a relativ simple question to all the hobby-pirates under us, is it possible to play only with an nomadic pirat-clan? No conquered planets? Is it possible or more not intendet, how the pirat-faction have to be played?

I have the idea to hide a pirat-port somewhere and only smuggle and take kill quests. But i think the normal empires will in short or long time find the port and destroy it. I think without a planet and so lesser research and income, with this way of playing, the "endgame" gives no chance to survive?

I hope someone have experience with pirates because i dont see much diskussions about pirates so i fear i'm one of not so many players they are interessted in pirates.[:)]

Thank you for answers and good hunt. ^.^
Aeson

RE: playstyle-question for the pirat-players

Post by Aeson »

I would say that this is possible, but you'll need to find a good location for it - something isolated and at the edge of the galaxy is good for staying hidden, but it's not likely that great for smuggling, especially if it's a lone gas cloud rather than an uncolonizable system, and you'll likely have some issues with resource access. Moreover, if you don't conquer a planet, it's fairly likely that you'll eventually be unable to keep the corruption levels on it up, and planetary corruption is possibly the best source of income a pirate faction can have until it starts conquering worlds. A further problem is that the further along you get into the game, the less likely it is that the various empires are going to need smuggling missions.
Kizucha

Post by Kizucha »

Yes my idea was, to build an port on a gas cloud and use mining ships to organize the materials. But the most materials i gather with mines, i think empires destroy them quick if they settle in an system right?:)

For the mid and engame i hope for many destroy-missions from the empires and for sure, destroy mines that empire HAVE TO order smuggling missions.[:D] Dont know actually, are corruption raise with normal delivieries and smuggling to an empire planet?
Jim D Burns

Post by Jim D Burns »

The key to surviving in the late game as a pirate is diversity. While empires may offer you plenty of smuggling and kill missions, they will also be hunting your bases down actively with their fleets unless they’ve signed an agreement with you. You can try turtling with a massive fleet at just one base, but don’t forget enemy Intel officers can blow up your base too, so fleets aren’t the only thing you need to guard against. That’s why you want to build lots of bases, a rash of enemy Intel attacks could see most of your bases go down in rapid succession if the operative is good enough and keeps targeting you mission after mission.

So build lots of bases all over the place and build them in places far removed from normal traffic. Keeping a presence on worlds late game is probably impossible due to the growing power of the empires, so bases hidden from view in the middle of nowhere are your best means of surviving in the late game.

Jim
Aeson

Post by Aeson »

Dont know actually, are corruption raise with normal delivieries and smuggling to an empire planet?
I don't believe that smuggling raises corruption; for that I'm fairly certain that only raiding and military presence will do.
But the most materials i gather with mines, i think empires destroy them quick if they settle in an system right?
Yes, empires will generally go after pirate stations of any kind within their own settled systems fairly quickly, and within their territorial systems just after, assuming that they know about these bases and aren't too busy doing something else. Thus, if you want to have stations of any kind within an empire's territory, you'll want to find areas that don't see much ship traffic and don't contain any mining stations. If you ever get to the point where you have energy converters (the tech that allows you to create fuel from energy), completely barren systems (i.e. no planets or interesting asteroids, or gas clouds that don't contain any useful amount of gas) are ideal locations for a hidden refueling point, assuming it's outside the range of long-range sensors mounted on an empire's stations, though the converters themselves are incapable of creating fuel rapidly enough to support significant amounts of traffic for more than a short amount of time.
Kizucha

Post by Kizucha »

@Jim D Burns: Yes thats one of my fear, the sabotage intelligence agents.[:(] Having already problems with them in the times i play normal empires. Maybe i'm really unlucky with counter intelligence sometimes i have to rebuild many mines and sadly not 1 or 2 in an hour... many many more.[:@]

From first day i wanted an mobile ship yard for the pirat faction.[:D]

@Aeson: It would make me sad if smuggling don't raise corruption.[;)] Thank you for the tips.
Jim D Burns

Post by Jim D Burns »

Send out your agents to steal territory maps early in game to see their stats. Then get agents with bad starting stats killed off on high risk missions (this helps in getting more agents to spawn without long wait periods). Do this until you spawn at least 2 agents with decent Counter-espionage stats early in game.

Late game doing this can cripple your Intel defense due to a shortage of agents, so do this ASAP and then let the agents stay on defense and train up their skills on defense. It won't guarantee sabotage missions fail but it should allow you a better chance late game to kill off a highly skilled enemy agent.

Jim
Kizucha

Post by Kizucha »

Oh ok i will notice this tip.[:)] I think i can use this also with normal empires, i will trie that and hopefully kill all enemy agents.[:D]

Time for testing, i will look if the tips from you two helps me to have more fun as a pirat.[;)]

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”