Well I bought the game

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Twotribes

Well I bought the game

Post by Twotribes »

However I can not create a colony ship. I have warp drive and 2 colony types but when I click on add ship type it won't let me pick a role and it won't let me add colony module to any ship without a role.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Darkspire

RE: Well I bought the game

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

However I can not create a colony ship. I have warp drive and 2 colony types but when I click on add ship type it won't let me pick a role and it won't let me add colony module to any ship without a role.

As long as you have a colony ship design that is current, you can either build one with a designation at a colony or you go into the expansion planner (F3) , click on a planet type that you are able to colonize with your current tech and queue one up using the buttons on there.

I would not do it from the Planner early game though as a colony ship could be ordered on a colony that does not have the necessary population and resources to get the build done in good time, mid to late game you can use this method but I would still advise to only build them at colonies you know to have good population and resources.

If you find a colony ship then go into the expansion planner and select a planet and send the colony ship from there, if your lucky you might even be able to colonize a type you do not have the tech for due to the race in cryo having that planet type as there default type.

So glad you saw logic and decided to take the plunge, see? it installed fine, you will have hours of fun learning how to get grips with it and once that is done the game will provide many more happy hours as you will actually know what your doing and how to control it.

Darkspire
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

It was a bug of some kind. I started pre warp and had no colony ships, when I researched the appropriate techs it messed up in the create quay and wouldn't let me select role. After I saved and went back it let me pick the role.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

It was a bug of some kind. I started pre warp and had no colony ships, when I researched the appropriate techs it messed up in the create quay and wouldn't let me select role. After I saved and went back it let me pick the role.
A good series of intros for DW are made by the master of LP himself, Larry Monte. They're a joy to watch..., in fact like a Sci-fi series. There are others too. Go thru all the in-game tutorials to get a feeling for the interface, game features and so on. It's worth it.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
pasty11

Post by pasty11 »

Think there is a minimum size issue with Colony ships, you need to have researched construction techs that allow you to build bigger ships.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”