A wish: Select unit menu default to no unit selected

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Courtenay

A wish: Select unit menu default to no unit selected

Post by Courtenay »

I wish that the select unit menus would default to having no units selected, rather than all units selected. If I want to move a single unit, it is almost automatic to click on the unit and then close the screen and move the unit. Unfortunately, this causes one to move every other unit in the hex, rather than the desired unit. I have repeatedly made this sort of error. This would not happen if the select unit screen defaulted to no units selected, rather than selecting everything. If I go the select units screen, it is because I want to select a few units. Let me pick the units I want to pick, rather than having to pick the units I don't want to pick.
I thought I knew how to play this game....
joshuamnave

RE: A wish: Select unit menu default to no unit selected

Post by joshuamnave »

I assume you're talking about naval units? If so, I agree 100%
Head Geek in Charge at politigeek.net - the intersection of politics and all things geeky
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

ORIGINAL: Zartacla

Don't ctrl-leftclick when wanting to pickup the top unit?
Perhaps I don't see the issue?
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

Rarely is the unit you want to pick up the top unit.
Head Geek in Charge at politigeek.net - the intersection of politics and all things geeky
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

There is a button to unselect all displayed units in the form you get when you use Ctrl left click too. I don't see this as being a problem. Anyway, it's only cosmetic...
Peter
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Yes, I am talking about naval units.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

ORIGINAL: AxelNL

Don't ctrl-leftclick when wanting to pickup the top unit?
Perhaps I don't see the issue?
Often, one does not want to move just the top unit. Also, there is a very nasty bug where units are not transported that look like they are being transported, which does not happen when one uses the select units form, so I find myself using the select unit form frequently.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

ORIGINAL: Centuur

There is a button to unselect all displayed units in the form you get when you use Ctrl left click too. I don't see this as being a problem. Anyway, it's only cosmetic...

If I were perfect, then yes, this would not make a difference. Unfortunately, I am very far from perfect, and using the current interface, I frequently make mistakes. If the interface were just slightly different -- defaulting to no units selected, rather than all units selected -- I would not make these mistakes.

I make more than enough mistakes playing MWiF that are the result of poor play. I do not need to make mistakes that are the result of poor mousing.
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: Courtenay

If I were perfect, then yes, this would not make a difference. Unfortunately, I am very far from perfect, and using the current interface, I frequently make mistakes. If the interface were just slightly different -- defaulting to no units selected, rather than all units selected -- I would not make these mistakes.

I make more than enough mistakes playing MWiF that are the result of poor play. I do not need to make mistakes that are the result of poor mousing.

It is the way you use the interface. I like to use it with all units selected at first, so I can use the options regarding speed, range, type of ship and so on to decline the number of ships selected. I don't think I would like it the other way around. But that's how I use the form, which appears to be different from how you are using it.
Peter
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

If this is the screen that is being talked about. YES having it default on use as "none selected" is a good call.
99% of the time when there are more than 20 ships in a port I unselect all before choosing what to send.
Especially if only sending single ships from a large stack.

Attachments
yasagree.jpg
yasagree.jpg (304.11 KiB) Viewed 134 times
“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

Single ship? Unselect all and select the one you need. Simple as that. I don't believe this form needs changes...
Peter
bo

Post by bo »

Single ship? Unselect all and select the one you need. Simple as that. I don't believe this form needs changes...

Agreed, I have no problem with this form, a little hunt and peck has never hurt anyone as of yet. Pretty soon some players will want Scotty from Star Trek to say "Computer" do this and do that [:D]

BO
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

Current way as coded:

Control click port to bring up ships all selected.

Click 1 Unselect all ships.
Click 2 Select transport.

The way it could be for some of us that would like to see it changed.

Control click port to bring up ships all NOT selected.

Click 1 Select transport.

Do you see the difference? Sure 1 click is not much.
Adds up as the game flows into later years and larger stacks of ships.

This would be a user friendly change to the code. Think about it as helping the aging MWiF community.
Marcus Luttrell
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

I spent a few minutes looking at this today and I agree with Centuur.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

I spent a few minutes looking at this today and I agree with Centuur.

This small change has been requested by players who have put HOURS into playing and dealing with stacks of ships.
It is not perfect for everyone. Otherwise this thread would not have appeared.
Marcus Luttrell
AlbertN

Post by AlbertN »

Is there a shortcut to select all the stack instead that cycling through all the land units - for example?
Maybe I've missed it in the immensity of the details but to have to manually select both units per stack each time I do a land attack is quite frustrating (yes jumped in the Barbarossa scenario already at my 1st day) ... I got to the land combat phase realizing only 1 unit per stack was attacking their target...
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

Ctrl Left Click will pick up the whole stack of units. If we're going into the unit select screen, it's because we don't want the whole stack of units. Seems pretty self obvious to me that one way is better than the other.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

In my current game, with the current interface, in the last two impulses I have sent the whole British home fleet to Cape St. Vincent, the whole Japanese far eastern fleet to the Bay of Bengal, and tried to send the whole Japanese combined fleet to Eniwetok, although for the last MWiF stopped me, as it would have caused over stacking.

Each mistake took a fair amount of time to fix. If default were not to pick everything, particularly after going to the load screen, it would be much nicer.
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

How hard would it be to add a button to that form that would toggle the default so we could all have it set the way we like best (serious question, I don't know how much work that would entail)
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Or put it in the User Interface settings like sound on/off?

That ought to be a simple change unless it affects saved games.
Paul

Return to “World in Flames”