Recording Distant World Game Play

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Atrocities

Recording Distant World Game Play

Post by Atrocities »

Hello, Please forgive if this has been asked and answered before.

I have FRAPs and would like to record my distant worlds game play. However when I do use FRAPS, regardless of the game window size, all it records is the back ground. None of the menues show up, no ships, no planets, nothing. Just the icons on the left side and that is is. Nice star field and I can see the zoomed out full screen view of the galaxy (end key) but that is about it.

Any suggestions?

Again, thank you.
Atrocities

RE: Recording Distant World Game Play

Post by Atrocities »

what no takers?
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

For some recording program I heard some mention capturing full screen to make it work. That may not have been for fraps, but maybe there is a similar choice?
OzoneGrif_slith

Post by OzoneGrif_slith »

I use OpenBroadcaster for my recordings, and it feels much better than Fraps.

It captures DW without flaws if you use the "Monitor Capture" source.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... VEHY#t=413
Antiscamp

Post by Antiscamp »

I use Bandicam to record all my games. Distant Worlds works differently than your regular game and I have to set the recording software to record Full Screen and NOT Direct X/Open GL. I do not know how it works with Fraps though.
badken

Post by badken »

I tried recording Distant Worlds Universe with FRAPS 3.5.99 and also had problems, but it wasn't a black screen. The galaxy map showed up, along with a few parts of the UI, but most of the UI was missing. This happened whether I recorded Distant Worlds in full screen or set it to a 1600x900 window in the Startup.ini.
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

Bandicam with screen capture gets all the pop-ups. Love Bandicam. :)
Yskonyn

Post by Yskonyn »

Bandicam seems to have a lower footprint than Fraps as well. I love it too! :)
Yskonyn -

Desktop: Intel i7 9700K @5.0Ghz, Nvidia RTX3080Ti, 32GB RAM, Win 11 64bit
Laptop: Acer Swift 3 Intel i7 1065G7, Nvidia MX350, 8GB RAM, Win 11 64 bit.
StarLab

Post by StarLab »

ORIGINAL: Das123

+1

Bandicam for me too! Has been hassle-free and well worth the price! [8D]
Upuauta

Post by Upuauta »

For all those using Bandicam: What settings do you use as the video format/codec? And what quality setting do you use?
StarLab

Post by StarLab »

ORIGINAL: UPUAUT

For all those using Bandicam: What settings do you use as the video format/codec? And what quality setting do you use?

For me, I record in a smaller window (1366x768). So I set BandiCam's target window to "Rectangle on the Screen" (not openGL/DX).

Video setting are as follows:
-Full size (this is a scaling option, so set to full size - unless you want smaller video output)
-FPS: 30 (your mileage may vary)
-Codec: MPEG-1
-Quality: 100%

It may take a bit of tinkering to get things the way you want, but the above works well for me. HTH
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

My Bandicam settings are a little different than Larry. I set one of my monitors to 1366 x 768 and record full screen. The reason I don't use the window is I don't like that the game offsets right-click placement of bases in windowed mode.

I have Bandicam resize to 720p on the fly (0x720)
30 FPS
MPG-1 Codec
80% Quality
Audio PCM at 44.1KHz
nedcorleone1

Post by nedcorleone1 »

Das!!!! I love your material! All of it. Thank you. Thank you so much.
Antiscamp

Post by Antiscamp »

Full Size, 30.00fps, 80q, Xvid Video Codec.
Atrocities

Post by Atrocities »

ORIGINAL: OzoneGrif

I use OpenBroadcaster for my recordings, and it feels much better than Fraps.

It captures DW without flaws if you use the "Monitor Capture" source.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... VEHY#t=413

I have OBS and have used it in the past for MINECRAFT videos. I didn't think to try it with DWU since given I had FRAPS. But FRAPS isn't that good for recording games like DWU or Space Empires it would seem. So its back to OBS.

Thanks mate. Good call.
Atrocities

Post by Atrocities »

ORIGINAL: Das123

Thank you Das, Antiscamp, and Larry. I will check out bandicam tonight. Also I sincerely thank you three for the videos. Das the only reason I bought Distant worlds back in the day was because of your Let's Play series. I just recently found Larry's videos, thanks to a post in the STEAM forum, and I have been following Antiscamp for about as long as he has been doing LP's of DW. :D Thank you all for your work.

Off to check out Bandicam.
Buio

Post by Buio »

If you have a recent Nvidia graphics card, you can use Shadowplay to record gaming. As it uses built-in hardware the performance loss is very small, even with intensive 3D games. Second advantage is you can have it do a perpetual recording of up to 20 minutes, which you can save at any time (mostly good for games where you get a cool moment and want to save it afterwards). Saves in H264 format, so efficient file sizes.

It is included in Nvidia Geforce Experience software. Requires GTX 600/700-series-based chip (the video encoder part was introduced firstly in those late series).
http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience/shadowplay

To record Distant Worlds you have to check "Allow desktop capture", turn off the indicator (or it will get saved with the video), and set the capture hotkeys to ones not used by Distant Worlds.
Antiscamp

Post by Antiscamp »

Thank you kindly, Atrocities. If you publish videos on YouTube, be sure to let me know so I can come watch and link :)
Fleshbits

Post by Fleshbits »

I imagine you have to consider whether it is using DirectX or not. I hear rumor this game was done in XNA and it might just be calling some .NET Windows drawing methods that do not go through DirectX...if it is old anyway. I can't remember if XNA was before or after the time they claimed all the UI drawing was going to go through DirectX...around Vista?

While XNA had a goal of dx in .NET, I do think 'hybriding' was permitted. Some DX mixed with .NET Windows GUI.
Windows 7 64 bit, i7 930, GTX670, 12 gig DDR 1300

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”