[WIP] [DW:U] Universa Addon for Distant Worlds Extended

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Titan32

RE: [WIP] Extended Plus! Minimod for Distant Worlds Extended [50 Races]

Post by Titan32 »

Good news you're continuing your mod, sir!

By the way, the latest version of Extended adds a new race family, the Avians. Just to be sure you don't miss it. [:)]
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

How exactly did the Ranga become a space faring civilization in the first place?
Zunos

Post by Zunos »

Are there any plans to add extra character pics for each races leaders, agents, etc?
Azurian

Post by Azurian »

ORIGINAL: Zunos

Are there any plans to add extra character pics for each races leaders, agents, etc?

Probably, I am currently doing some mathematical calculations and been reading the modding guide. I use Notepad++ to edit stuff, especially the race biases, since you can edit and highlight text vertically.

I have Photoshop CC and Illustrator CC so images are not an issue, especially with the "Kitchensink file repository" upload by jamthree.

Apologies for being sparse with new information, I had finals and school but today was my last day of class so I am free to focus on this in the summer.

I am currently in the brainstorming/blueprint/design area, and ready to start coding, since I am starting from scratch code wise and going to tweak some of the stories and stuff I had since Universe opened up new modding capabilities .

I will have more information ands update this thread as I have new developments.
necaradan666

Post by necaradan666 »

Just wondering.. in that race makeup screenshot above ackdarian has two i's in amphibian. Is that a bug? from the base game or from a mod? maybe it's always been like that?
Azurian

Post by Azurian »

ORIGINAL: necaradan666

Just wondering.. in that race makeup screenshot above ackdarian has two i's in amphibian. Is that a bug? from the base game or from a mod? maybe it's always been like that?

The original post is obsolete, these are the races I plan to introduce.

Attachments
masters.jpg
masters.jpg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 418 times
Zunos

Post by Zunos »

Thanks for the reply Azurian. Do you know if there is a way to add more variety to pirates? I wish the best on this, Ill certainly keep an eye out.[&o]

Inawordyes

Post by Inawordyes »

They all look awesome! Haha, okay, so Varrasul and Quartz (which I'm assuming is replacing Amethyst? [:D]) are part of a new "Crystalline" RaceFamily group? Also, I really have to ask, but what did you decide to name the plant RaceFamily? I ask both because I am in the process of making my own group of races, and the very first one I made was a plant race to which I named "Botanical" - as plants are a little too generic and limiting as far as including stuff like trees are concerned, and Botany is the study of the Plant Kingdom, so for my own personal thoughts it was a better representative, or at least more interesting; regardless, it would be of benefit to know so that there isn't a naming issue separating both groups, and also because the bias values are probably different as well - and I also have a race that I had considered making a Crystalline RaceFamily for but was hesitant to do so as it'd be a one-off as far as my own races are concerned so ended up assigning as Humanoid but would like to switch to your RaceFamily now that I know they won't be all alone (wow, that was a really long run-on sentence, haha).

I completely plan to use your mod and DWE, and so when you are able to get this finished, I will probably upload mine with compatibility for both (as like the 4.0 to the basegame's 10, DWE's 2.0, and your 3.0 in terms of races building upon other races).

If you would Azurian, could you PM me with the text of the Galactopedia article for Khlorophrola? Thankfully for me none of your races use any pictures I've come across, but one of the races I'm working on right now looks a little like Khlorophlora and I am curious as to whether the background ideas are similar, as since I'll likely make my own races mod compatible with this as well as DWE I don't want to lock down any definite ideas for my races and then have to backtrack because they're redundant to yours.

One last thought is that if the Humanoid-looking Galatos is classed as a Rodent, then the actual Rodent-looking Kingsley shouldn't be classed as a Humanoid, haha.
Distant Races

The self-titled Crown Prince of Crazy Plans.
Azurian

Post by Azurian »

[quote]ORIGINAL: Inawordyes

They all look awesome! Haha, okay, so Varrasul and Quartz (which I'm assuming is replacing Amethyst? [:D])

At the moment Quartz is replacing Amethyst but its not a final decision to eliminate Amethyst. I am actually over time, hopefully, have over 100 races. The 50 ship types cap doesn't bother me currently since majority of people play with 10-37 races at a time.

are part of a new "Crystalline" RaceFamily group?
I actually called this family Mineral and they represent silicon or Titanium, aluminium, magnesium,iron, and sulfur biochemical life.

Varrasul has a 4% growth rate but get a big bonus in population if the planet has Silicon or Hydrogen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypotheti ... ochemistry

Also, I really have to ask, but what did you decide to name the plant RaceFamily? I ask both because I am in the process of making my own group of races, and the very first one I made was a plant race to which I named "Botanical" - as plants are a little too generic and limiting as far as including stuff like trees are concerned, and Botany is the study of the Plant Kingdom, so for my own personal thoughts it was a better representative, or at least more interesting; regardless, it would be of benefit to know so that there isn't a naming issue separating both groups, and also because the bias values are probably different as well

I actually named it botanical for simplicity,

Khorophrrola = Chlorophyll + Flora. They are masters of energy collection and have a unique technology called Artificial Photosynthesis. They are carnivores similar to the Venus fly plant.

Sycelium = sy + mycelium (mushroom). They are mushrooms with bioengineered weapons who live in tribes.

Evilian = Evil + lichen/ fungus with bioluminescent markings that live in deep caverns underground.

Florian = four legged pine forest guardians/ gaia/ nature protectors with fur made of pine leaves.

- and I also have a race that I had considered making a Crystalline RaceFamily for but was hesitant to do so as it'd be a one-off as far as my own races are concerned so ended up assigning as Humanoid but would like to switch to your RaceFamily now that I know they won't be all alone (wow, that was a really long run-on sentence, haha).

The best word I can find is Mineral, anything made of minerals, metals, or rocks can fit this category. Think of the Rock type in Pokemon or golems.

I completely plan to use your mod and DWE, and so when you are able to get this finished, I will probably upload mine with compatibility for both (as like the 4.0 to the basegame's 10, DWE's 2.0, and your 3.0 in terms of races building upon other races).

That's fine with me, right now I am in the early stages.

If you would Azurian, could you PM me with the text of the Galactopedia article for Khlorophrola? Thankfully for me none of your races use any pictures I've come across, but one of the races I'm working on right now looks a little like Khlorophlora and I am curious as to whether the background ideas are similar, as since I'll likely make my own races mod compatible with this as well as DWE I don't want to lock down any definite ideas for my races and then have to backtrack because they're redundant to yours.

I have a general story for Khlorophrola but haven't made the Galactopedia for them yet. The story is that their home planet had a giant volcanic event that darken the skies. Since they need solar energy to live, their species is dying and they need to colonize another planet. They can rapidly reproduce on certain worlds, but cannot colonize easily Volcanic or Ice Worlds. Troops are grown on farms, and their society revolves on certain individuals who can bloom enormous flowers, similar to how part of our society revolves around Hollywood celebrities. Their cities are really simiiar to the inside of a plant cell, with architecture made of cellulose, and "electrical plants" composed of Chlorophyll Collectors.

One last thought is that if the Humanoid-looking Galatos is classed as a Rodent, then the actual Rodent-looking Kingsley shouldn't be classed as a Humanoid, haha.

I am thinking of just making a Mammalian class.

Feline = Ranga, Galatos
Humanoid = Kingsly

I can just make:

Mammalian = Ranga, Galatos, Kingsley

0, Humanoid,
1, Ursidian,
2, Insectoid,
3, Reptilian,
4, Amphibian,
5, Rodent,
6, Machine,
7, Avian,
8, Botanical,
9, Mammalian,
10, Mineral,
Inawordyes

Post by Inawordyes »

ORIGINAL: Azurian

At the moment Quartz is replacing Amethyst but its not a final decision to eliminate Amethyst. I am actually over time, hopefully, have over 100 races. The 50 ship types cap doesn't bother me currently since majority of people play with 10-37 races at a time.

I currently have a backlog of about 35 races that I have planned to include, haha, with a whole bunch of other pictures possibles that I'm purposefully not messing with yet because I don't want to get drowned out in a sea of over-my-head ideas. Having a 100+ races would be pretty cool, though.

I actually called this family Mineral and they represent silicon or Titanium, aluminium, magnesium,iron, and sulfur biochemical life.

Hmm, I see, so basically like organic metal beings rather than machines?

I actually named it botanical for simplicity,

Khorophrrola = Chlorophyll + Flora. They are masters of energy collection and have a unique technology called Artificial Photosynthesis. They are carnivores similar to the Venus fly plant.

Sycelium = sy + mycelium (mushroom). They are mushrooms with bioengineered weapons who live in tribes.

Evilian = Evil + lichen/ fungus with bioluminescent markings that live in deep caverns underground.

Florian = four legged pine forest guardians/ gaia/ nature protectors with fur made of pine leaves.

Ah, so we had the same idea. Or are you saying that you named it "Botanical" because I suggested it rather than already having named it "Botanical" in the first place before I even brought it up? I guess it doesn't really matter either way in the end, though, haha.

The best word I can find is Mineral, anything made of minerals, metals, or rocks can fit this category. Think of the Rock type in Pokemon or golems.

Answered my question above. Ooh, Golems, I had had that idea after seeing some of the races I started making, but never really became motivated to make them separate from machines, so mineral as a RaceFamily is good for me, haha (I feel like I'm mooching off your ideas unintentionally, as it appears that a lot of the things I've been working on play into ideas you already came up with and are implementing).

I have a general story for Khlorophrola but haven't made the Galactopedia for them yet. The story is that their home planet had a giant volcanic event that darken the skies. Since they need solar energy to live, their species is dying and they need to colonize another planet. They can rapidly reproduce on certain worlds, but cannot colonize easily Volcanic or Ice Worlds. Troops are grown on farms, and their society revolves on certain individuals who can bloom enormous flowers, similar to how part of our society revolves around Hollywood celebrities. Their cities are really simiiar to the inside of a plant cell, with architecture made of cellulose, and "electrical plants" composed of Chlorophyll Collectors.

That shoulds like a good backstory, actually. I still don't know completely yet for mine what it will turn out to be, but the species, named Tencta, are currently, tentatively (and I'm probably going to change this because I couldn't think of a way to finish the Galactopedia entry with this thought), like a carnivorous, parasitic flowering vine that bases it entire life around it's next meal and is very aggressive as a species in taking over worlds to find new sources of flora and fauna - even sentient species; their policy would probably involve exterminating all other races, in this case to emulate their consuming the population of a planet they take over - and is ruled by a "Matriarch" with a Borg Queen-like control over the species - think a little like with the Flood and the Gravemind in Halo. But anyways, the race picture gives them a Venus Fly-Trap vibe and I noticed that about the Khlorophrola like you mentioned which is why I asked, because I wasn't sure if you were going for a similar thought as the above.

I really like your idea for Khlorophrola, though, and it's certainly more unique than what I could come up with, haha.

I am thinking of just making a Mammalian class.

Feline = Ranga, Galatos
Humanoid = Kingsly

I can just make:

Mammalian = Ranga, Galatos, Kingsley

0, Humanoid,
1, Ursidian,
2, Insectoid,
3, Reptilian,
4, Amphibian,
5, Rodent,
6, Machine,
7, Avian,
8, Botanical,
9, Mammalian,
10, Mineral,

Again, it feels like mooching, but my second, third, fourth (and fifth, by technicality; when I upload my races you'd get an understanding as to why I say that) races I decided would belong to second new RaceFamily (which I guess the first one, Botanical, isn't so "new" since you already had the same idea first, haha), "Primate". Which could roll straight into your Mammalian group without a problem, haha.

Kingsley is literally a bipedal rabbit wearing medieval clothes, though, so it should still fall under Rodent considering it's more closely related to the real-life species that inspired the current rodent group races than cats and monkeys, haha, walking on two legs or not.
Distant Races

The self-titled Crown Prince of Crazy Plans.
dvr

Post by dvr »

Well technically humanoids should be mammalian as well! And not to be annoying but it is a misconception that a rabbit is a rodent, but is not true. It is related to the hare. The family plants is officially called "Plantea" (Latin) All the plants, trees, grasses and the like are belonging to this family. Sorry for the know-it-all speech. I'm a biologist, so if I see misconceptions I can't resist to help people learn the correct facts.
Azuran

Post by Azuran »

I found my old account details and can edit the original post. I will be using Azuran exclusively from now on.

Again, it feels like mooching, but my second, third, fourth (and fifth, by technicality; when I upload my races you'd get an understanding as to why I say that) races I decided would belong to second new RaceFamily (which I guess the first one, Botanical, isn't so "new" since you already had the same idea first, haha), "Primate". Which could roll straight into your Mammalian group without a problem, haha.

I am not to concerned if yourself or others are inspired by my ideas, because I myself get inspired by others everyday. I actually had it to Plant but changed it to Botanical.

Well one of the concerns I had was that only carbon based lifeforms were represented, and I think its a bit of fun to introduce life with hypothetical biochemistries.

Well technically humanoids should be mammalian as well! And not to be annoying but it is a misconception that a rabbit is a rodent, but is not true. It is related to the hare. The family plants is officially called "Plantea" (Latin) All the plants, trees, grasses and the like are belonging to this family. Sorry for the know-it-all speech. I'm a biologist, so if I see misconceptions I can't resist to help people learn the correct facts.

Good! I actually come from a biology background as well and I can understand your perplexion. I am planning on calling it Botanical since mushrooms,lichens, and fungi do not belong to Plantae and for the average population the word Botanical is common enough for them to understand.

Changelog:

Created base raceBiases file for all 60 races.
Created base raceFamilies file will all 10 Families.
Created base race FamilyBiases file with all 10 Families.
Renamed 58 Kalipha to Qanipha

0.04 Create race images for all 21 races.

0.03 Finalized names for all 20 races.
40 Klorophora
41 Arandako
42 Kingsley
43 Galatos
44 Zebola
45 Xabaddon
46 Sycelium
47 Quartz
48 Sharlanka
49 Ranga
50 Wyvern
51 Tyranakos
52 Jakumaru
53 Charcario
54 Azzuri
55 Avion
56 Varrasul
57 Evilian
58 Khalipha
59 Florian
dvr

Post by dvr »

Yeah I understand, and of course I understand that there needs to be a good balance between realism and creativity in a science-fiction game and that you have always contradiction with realism. I think you Botanical race is a good solution. Creating a new family for each race would be bit ridiculous. I was just pointing some facts out. Anyway, I'm looking forward to your mod!
spiralaxis

Post by spiralaxis »

Looking forward to watching this develop. Any updates?
ParagonExile

Post by ParagonExile »

Hope this turns out well!
Raruto

Post by Raruto »

[&o][&o]
I'm glad to see this mod is still in work, i was not finding it and thought you gave up.
The new topic title has no "plus" inside and took hell out of me (joke) to find it again [:-].
Can't wait to see the first release.
"You Will See That Many Things are Changed Since My Return"
Anubis
Locust71

Post by Locust71 »

This mod is dead? I hope not. Looks interesting.
IndigenousLifeForm

Post by IndigenousLifeForm »

indeed i hope its not dead it was quite interesting to me

Return to “Design and Modding”