Changing a weapons image file association?

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Unforeseen

Changing a weapons image file association?

Post by Unforeseen »

Ok so i know that you can use components.txt to determine what image file is associated to each weapon in the game. But is there a way to change that association? I tried changing the pulse blaster to beam_1 for instance in components.txt and this had no effect as expected...

All i want to do in this case is have pulse blaster and maxos blaster use different files. So that the pulse blaster can be red, and the maxos will be orange.
Unforeseen

RE: Changing a weapons image file association?

Post by Unforeseen »

The Shaktur Firestorm is another example of a weapon that uses the same image as a 'technically' weaker weapon, the velocity shard. Color should be determined by the weapons energy output/damage, the Shaktur firestorm easily outclasses the Velocity shard in this area and should not be the same color.

Edit: I wanted to retract my statement about color determination, i was misinformed in that regard as a lasers damage is NOT affected by it's color nor does the amount of power involved affect it's color. The only thing color would affect is it's visibility and brightness and therefor is purely preferential on the part of the designer of the weapon. A weapon's damage capability would be determined primarily by the amount of energy being used to power it. It could be argued that the range of the weapon in non vacuum conditions could be affected by color, but that is irrelevant in this game.

As a result, I'll probably make most of the energy based weapons in the game blue, because i like blue. And indigo. Cuz indigo is awesome.
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: Unforeseen

Ok so i know that you can use components.txt to determine what image file is associated to each weapon in the game. But is there a way to change that association? I tried changing the pulse blaster to beam_1 for instance in components.txt and this had no effect as expected...

All i want to do in this case is have pulse blaster and maxos blaster use different files. So that the pulse blaster can be red, and the maxos will be orange.

Entry for vanilla Pulse Blaster;

126, Pulse Blaster, 126, 0, laser.wav,

Entry needed for your change;

126, Pulse Blaster, 126, 1, laser.wav,

Forget the words in the file name and refer to the numbers.

With Universe the best way to learn is to reverse engineer, check a vanilla text file for the entry you know that works that does what you want and work from that.

Darkspire
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

I tried doing that, it didn't work. I set the Pulse Blaster to 1, but it still fired the same red image from beam_0. I'll try again, maybe it was bad luck.
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: Unforeseen

I tried doing that, it didn't work. I set the Pulse Blaster to 1, but it still fired the same red image from beam_0. I'll try again, maybe it was bad luck.

That should work, I am none to sure whether changing the vanilla will work but it should in work fine in a theme.

I can only presume that is all you have changed? Have you made sure the type is still 48?

Let me know if it still doesn't work and I will run a few tests.

Darkspire
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

I got it to work, one question for anyone who can answer..is there a limit to the number of images? Like...can i go all the way up to beam 16 etc etc etc?

Return to “Design and Modding”