Refugee All Stars: alien race collection

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Solarius Scorch

Refugee All Stars: alien race collection

Post by Solarius Scorch »

There's a new alien races project I have, and I need some opinions.

Well, it's not entirely new, since I made it way back when Shadows came out. However, despite all the races being done - files, pics, characters and everything - I couldn't get it to run properly due to the biases.txt file being somehow wrong, though I failed to determine why, and after two days or so I rage-quitted. Now it a good time to go back to this.

Well then, there's one thing I never liked much about Distant Worlds: the alien races. They just feel bland and silly at the same time; they're neither serious sci-fi not space opera cool. And since hard sci-fi aliens don't generally work well in 4X games, I decided to make it so.
Then Haree's DW Extended came along, which was a significant improvement, but still not exactly what I wanted. I also noticed another problem: all species in a family have similar political affiliations, so if you play for example a fascist human empire Everyone will hate you (other humanoids will hate you for your government, and fascist non-humanoids will hate you for being a humanoid). So I figured the game needs more political variability within families.
Yet another starting point was that I really wanted Master of Orion II races in the game, so I made them. They helped create a more diverse range of races to choose from, and provide some additional fun factor.

Therefore, this project's goals are:
- To make more interesting aliens (and remove those I didn't like).
- To make more diverse aliens, by political and biological affiliations.
- To add Master of Orion 2 races, as part of the solution to the above and also for sheer awesomness.

Now, here's the most important issue. Since I don't believe in inventing the wheel from the very beginning, I thought about using some races from already released mods by other people - namely Haree (DW Extended) and Kalthaniell (Mass Effect mod). Some of their creations simply fit in the scheme of things, and besides they're already known among the community and would therefore be more friendly. However, the obvious issue is that these creators would have to give a green light for using them in the project. Of course these races can be replaced by something I would make myself if need be.

So, there would be the following races in the mod:

From Distant Worlds:
- Haakonish
- Zenox
- Mechanoid
- Teekan
- Atuuk
- Humans (as High Men - a Byzantium-like space culture)
- Quameno
- Shakturi
- Boskara
- Ackdarian
- Dhayut

From Haree's Distant Worlds Extended:
- Tarapin
- X-Human
- Phaerax
- Ortain
- Keskudon

From Kalthaniell's Mass Effect mod:
- Turian
- Asari
- Human (as Humans - a more standard military sci-fi style)
- Hanar
- Krogan
- Vorcha
- Volus
- Salarian
- Geth
- Quarian
- Elcor

From Master of Orion:
- Gnolam
- Bulrathi
- Psilon
- Klackon
- Silicoid
- Sakkra
- Elerian
- Mrrshan
- Meklar
- Darlok
- Alkari
- Trilarian

Additional races, made by me:
- Ramman (tough, anarchistic humanoids)
- Tskrang (diplomatic reptiles)
- Hemath (hive-like lobstermen, extra alien)
- Draconite (warlike lizard bastards)
- Zentabi (nasty space elves)

As I mentioned earlier, all I need to do is update the files to Universe standard and make the biases.txt. If the abovementioned mod authors agree, I will include their mod parts, otherwise I'll think of making something new (though frankly I really don't want to, since I'll never be as good).

Of course, any comments and thoughts will be appreciated.

I'm attaching an .xlsx file containing the philosophy begind this mod, for those crazy enough to want to analyse it. :)
Attachments
Races.zip
(38.95 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
Forever Future 1.7 for Call to Power - the biggest mod for the best Civilization-like game ever!
AnddyiRaynor

RE: Refugee All Stars: alien race collection

Post by AnddyiRaynor »

'Special Component: -1 = None, 0 or greater = ComponentId of special component. Be careful not to set a special component to a race that is also required by other races

It could be the problem you are having is that both the Quarian and the Meklar/ Elarian and the MrrShan have the same special components. I could be wrong since both the boskara and the shakturi share the firestorm missle but for some reason the game warns you not to do that.

Draconite's are one strength lower than the max so if they have any strength bonuses that could possibly be a problem. You'd have to upload the biases.txt if you wanted another fresh pair of eyes to see if theres anything they can notice.
Solarius Scorch

Wow, someone actually read that. O_o. Thanks, man! So glad about this post! :D
ORIGINAL: AnddyiRaynor

'Special Component: -1 = None, 0 or greater = ComponentId of special component. Be careful not to set a special component to a race that is also required by other races

I'm not sure what you mean. Is it that a specific Special Component can only be assigned to one particular race?
It could be the problem you are having is that both the Quarian and the Meklar/ Elarian and the MrrShan have the same special components. I could be wrong since both the boskara and the shakturi share the firestorm missle but for some reason the game warns you not to do that.

Yeah, well, the resources were a very tough issue. What you see there is a bit of a prototype, since I couldn't find anything better back then... Still, there's the Realistic Resource Revamp mod now, so I'll probably try and remake this mod at some point using uberknight72's stuff. for now I consider this a minor issue in comparison to the races themselves.
Draconite's are one strength lower than the max so if they have any strength bonuses that could possibly be a problem.[/quote]

Well, 200 is the official cap, so I would think that it's safe to use... But you're right, I'll keep an aye on this.
You'd have to upload the biases.txt if you wanted another fresh pair of eyes to see if theres anything they can notice.
[/quote]

No problem, but it's exactly the same as the Biases sheet in the Excel file. Besides, my biases.txt seems broken. Nevertheless, I'll attach it here for you.

Again, thanks for the input!
Attachments
biases.txt
(16.23 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Forever Future 1.7 for Call to Power - the biggest mod for the best Civilization-like game ever!
AnddyiRaynor

Post by AnddyiRaynor »

Ok well this is clearly going to take awhile to look through lol, but change the file to raceBiases in the meantime and see if it works. Also what I believe you have to do is have all columns match with the correct number of rows, comma separated.

Your's isn't as organized as the main games and other mods and from what Darkspire said in the other thread and the fact other mods I look at have all the commas lined up I'm lead to believe they need to be. It really shouldn't matter and if it runs after you change it to racebiases you won't need to, it's just easier to look at that way.
Solarius Scorch

Ok well this is clearly going to take awhile to look through lol, but change the file to raceBiases in the meantime and see if it works. Also what I believe you have to do is have all columns match with the correct number of rows, comma separated.

Oh, I'm not ready to upgrade it to Universe just yet. :) The biases part is just a piece of that work which I haven't started yet.
Your's isn't as organized as the main games and other mods and from what Darkspire said in the other thread and the fact other mods I look at have all the commas lined up I'm lead to believe they need to be.

I basically removed all tabs to make sure they're not interfering; this fixed nothing, sadly.

Again, thanks for looking at this for me :)
Solarius Scorch

I finally started working on the mod. It's still a long way to go, but let me ask you this:

Should I add Mass Effect races to the lot, or make original files?
(Assuming Kalthaniell agrees.)

I really like ME races, and there is plenty of resources for them; what's even more important, they seamlessly fit into the general balance. However, they may conceptually clash with other parts of the mod, which generally don't come from a specific trademark (except MoO2, but it's still a 4X game).

Naturally, I need to ask Kalthaniell first anyway.
Sirian

Post by Sirian »

The Tskrang... its a very long time I haven't heard of them. Been a good setting to roleplay in, this Earthdawn.
Solarius Scorch

ORIGINAL: Sirian

The Tskrang... its a very long time I haven't heard of them. Been a good setting to roleplay in, this Earthdawn.

High five. :) Best fantasy RPG ever, if you ask me.

Yeah, I'm using some working names to know what it is. May as well leave them there, since it's as good a name as any other.
Verjigorm

Post by Verjigorm »

Tskrang ^^

Haven't thought about them for quite some time... need to play Earthdawn again :)
[center]Lost dark soul, imprisoned abysmal desire
plunged in flames, gone through hellfire[/center]
Solarius Scorch

ORIGINAL: Verjigorm

Tskrang ^^

Haven't thought about them for quite some time... need to play Earthdawn again :)

Yeah, I noticed your nick some time ago. ;)

---===---

So, Earthdawn is great and all, but what about Mass Effect races? :)
gerishnakov

Post by gerishnakov »

ORIGINAL: Solarius Scorch

what about Mass Effect races? :)

Do it. Fair warning though - the race files in the Mass Effect mod need some heavy work to get them up to scratch. I updated the Geth to Universe level (and changed a few things I wanted different) recently, and it took a while.
Solarius Scorch

ORIGINAL: gerishnakov

ORIGINAL: Solarius Scorch

what about Mass Effect races? :)

Do it. Fair warning though - the race files in the Mass Effect mod need some heavy work to get them up to scratch. I updated the Geth to Universe level (and changed a few things I wanted different) recently, and it took a while.

Ah, I realize this. I am doing the same thing to my Shadows-age files.

But if need be, I wouldn't say no to a helping hand. :)
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Draconite's are one strength lower than the max so if they have any strength bonuses that could possibly be a problem. You'd have to upload the biases.txt if you wanted another fresh pair of eyes to see if theres anything they can notice.

Remember what ever component you set as special locks all other races out of it. So if you lock the starting level shield as a special component, NO other races can have shields of any type, or ever research them. This is one area you have to be extra special careful when modding.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Solarius Scorch

ORIGINAL: Shark7

Remember what ever component you set as special locks all other races out of it. So if you lock the starting level shield as a special component, NO other races can have shields of any type, or ever research them. This is one area you have to be extra special careful when modding.

Yeah, I know it now. It really wasn't clear back then when I was outlining ideas, and frankly it still isn't. The more thankful I am for such advice!

I think you can assign the same special component to two or more races, though I need to confirm it. And if it doesn't work... well, I'm not a fan of racial tech anyway.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Yes, you can assign the same piece of technology to 2 or more races and it won't break anything. Just do try to keep it away from stuff that is necessary as per-requisites to other tech not of the same type.

The techs that are already 'special' are the easiest to use, since they are already set up not to interfere with the rest of the research tree.

Also, if you want to add in a race specific wonder, you need to make that wonder into a research tech (by stipulating the research box gives you the facility number as a completion reward), then set the race you want to have it as a special wonder to have build galactic wonder as a victory condition and make the modifier of that condition the number of the facility you wish to be the special racial wonder. After doing that, when you start the game, you will notice that the research box for that wonder will now only be researchable by the desired race.
Distant Worlds Fan

Solarius Scorch

Yes, you can assign the same piece of technology to 2 or more races and it won't break anything. Just do try to keep it away from stuff that is necessary as per-requisites to other tech not of the same type.

The techs that are already 'special' are the easiest to use, since they are already set up not to interfere with the rest of the research tree.

Good! I've decided to remove all non-standard special equipment for now, and just start from scratch. But it's nice to know I can still assign Shaktur Firestorm and whatnot.
(I don't really like racial tech, I think they're silly, but I don't want to stray too far from the vanilla.)
Also, if you want to add in a race specific wonder, you need to make that wonder into a research tech (by stipulating the research box gives you the facility number as a completion reward), then set the race you want to have it as a special wonder to have build galactic wonder as a victory condition and make the modifier of that condition the number of the facility you wish to be the special racial wonder. After doing that, when you start the game, you will notice that the research box for that wonder will now only be researchable by the desired race.

Racial wonders are definitely better than racial ship components. We'll see how it goes.

For now, I'm almost done adding Orion races and my own races.
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

Hmm how about a highly religious race with a sense of religious entitlement? It would have an event once a year increasing it's aggression.
Solarius Scorch

ORIGINAL: Unforeseen

Hmm how about a highly religious race with a sense of religious entitlement? It would have an event once a year increasing it's aggression.

Yes, I'm planning something like this, but haven't made this race yet - I only have the concept and the picture. :)
Manningham

Post by Manningham »

Looking forward to this one :)
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Unforeseen

You'd need to define a 'Theocracy' government type as well.
Distant Worlds Fan

Return to “Design and Modding”