FRAK!!!

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies and ship designs with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

FingNewGuy

FRAK!!!

Post by FingNewGuy »

Well... for a period of a couple years I thought the pirates might take me out. Half my planets had Hidden Pirate Bases on them (along with the endless obligatory ground battles), my colonies were getting raided regularly (sometimes successfully), installations getting attacked, freighters AND warships getting boarded and captured- by pirates, pirate fleets whacking my military fleets, and countless smuggling attacks... all happening in rapid succession, truly desperate times. Finally, improvements in technology aided the fleet; growing populations made it more difficult for the pirates to challenge me on my colonies, improved ground and space-based colony defenses cut down on the raids, and who knows what else contributed to things quieting down- a lot.

I've not had so much fun in a long time in a game! [:D]
Icemania

RE: FRAK!!!

Post by Icemania »

Wipe them out ... all of them!

After hundreds of hours of play I'm finding it difficult to get into many other Space Strategy 4X's after getting used to how much is going on in Distant Worlds ...
FingNewGuy

Post by FingNewGuy »

It is time to accept Distant Worlds as the ultimate power in the space strategy 4X universe!!!

I know what you mean... I have extensively played SoaSE, GalCiv II- DW is my personal favorite. [&o]
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

SoaSE is the only space strategy game i can play other than DW without getting bored SINCE i got DW. I used to be a MOO3 player.

I cannot accept DW as the "ultimate" 4x SS game however, the over abundance of resources in larger galaxies, certain game play issues that seem to have just been overlooked and several other design flaws will always leave me just a tad bit disappointed. If it wasn't for these issues DW really would be the ultimate 4x. That and a larger galaxy...it may have the largest galaxy I've ever seen in a game..but it still feels to small. I think..and i'm being selfish here...that 5 thousand stars would be an excellent number.
nedcorleone1

Post by nedcorleone1 »

ORIGINAL: FingNewGuy

It is time to accept Distant Worlds as the ultimate power in the space strategy 4X universe!!!

Don't be too proud of this technological wonder you've constructed. The ability to destroy a person's weekend is insignificant next to the power of the... nah that's pretty powerful.
FingNewGuy

Post by FingNewGuy »

Don't be too proud of this technological wonder you've constructed. The ability to destroy a person's weekend is insignificant next to the power of the... nah that's pretty powerful.

ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: mr_flappypants

[&o]
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
Raagun

Post by Raagun »

Amen man!

But I dont get bored from this game. I get tired. Now I play scenario as pirate and its constant beating against the wall. Constant raids by pirate factions. Controlling planets. Intell missions(90% tech I get from stealing as pirate). I dont think I will make it till the end :( but this way is super challenging
nedcorleone1

Post by nedcorleone1 »

ORIGINAL: Raagun

Amen man!

But I dont get bored from this game. I get tired. Now I play scenario as pirate and its constant beating against the wall. Constant raids by pirate factions. Controlling planets. Intell missions(90% tech I get from stealing as pirate). I dont think I will make it till the end :( but this way is super challenging

I've yet to 'finish' a game. I usually spend a lot of time playing then 'start over' because I've learned new concepts from the forums that I want to implement from the beginning.

Return to “The War Room”