[Fixed] Fix It

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

addchild314

[Fixed] Fix It

Post by addchild314 »

Two things.

First: Consider hiring a quality assurance team. They can help discover bugs before release, causing people to actually enjoy your game.

Second: Is this what I should expect it to do? Because I expected more stars, ships, and explosions.

Distant Worlds - Crash Dump - 1.9.5.1

1:19:03 AM Thursday, May 29, 2014

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80040154): Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG))
at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.CoCreateInstance(Guid& clsid, Object punkOuter, Int32 context, Guid& iid)
at System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.CreateWithLicense(String license, Guid clsid)
at System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.CreateInstanceCore(Guid clsid)
at System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.CreateInstance()
at System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.GetOcxCreate()
at System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.TransitionUpTo(Int32 state)
at System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.CreateHandle()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
at System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.EndInit()
at DistantWorlds.Start.XkCYaRIG4UKiNVl6ZUy(Object )
at DistantWorlds.Start.PDqJ52o3mV()
at DistantWorlds.Start..ctor()
at sUMn0fc5CEqtPeT10H.I3qOOMQIxxForGALDE.oBUhiDVFYIM()

--- COMPLETE ---

and this older shit

Distant Worlds - Crash Dump - 1.9.5.0

1:08:16 AM Thursday, May 29, 2014

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80040154): Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG))
at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.CoCreateInstance(Guid& clsid, Object punkOuter, Int32 context, Guid& iid)
at System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.CreateWithLicense(String license, Guid clsid)
at System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.CreateInstanceCore(Guid clsid)
at System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.CreateInstance()
at System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.GetOcxCreate()
at System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.TransitionUpTo(Int32 state)
at System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.CreateHandle()
at System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.EndInit()
at DistantWorlds.Start.BMFev7d9yEhCkIpXJBV(Object )
at DistantWorlds.Start.ammvpy3cwB()
at DistantWorlds.Start..ctor()
at Tb9dooikR4oF2la5ZE.k5iURiDyr2g1taxEYo.OoIqyfobPqH()

Win7 x64 SP1 Ult.
AMD FX8350
32GB DDR3-1333
Radeon HD 7870 OC

--- COMPLETE ---

P.S.: No, the Beta does not address this issue, in case you missed it in the version numbers above.
P.P.S.: Compatibility mode makes no difference in Windows 7, Windows Vista, Win XP SP3, WinXP Sp2, Win2000, Win98, Win95 modes with and without 'run as administrator' enabled. Forcing 640x480 resolution was the only thing that made a difference - I got a warning about low resolution before it crashed.
THE DAMNED SECURITY CAPTCHA IS CO6WO5, NOW LET ME THE FUCK IN
zakblood

RE: Fix It

Post by zakblood »

How to get a DxDiag File

tm.asp?m=2413997

then upload it, so developer, site staff can check for errors in full log.

quote"Forcing 640x480 resolution was the only thing that made a difference - I got a warning about low resolution before it crashed." end quote means nothing to me but may ring bells for them with more info from above file etc....

matter of interest, what size are you using? resolution, color depth etc, the more info you give them the better and more accurate they will give as an answer, as above maybe isn't enough.

what they may ask, what anti virus are you running etc, which driver version for your card, single or dual card, one or 2 screens etc etc

searching the error code myself only gives this answer,

this error means nothing more than that the ActiveX control isn't installed or working on that machine, so reinstalling or repairing the program will or should fix this.

ActiveX controls are small programs, sometimes also called "add-ons,” that are used on the Internet. They can enhance your browsing experience by allowing animation or they can help with tasks such as installing security updates at Microsoft Update.
Some Web sites require you to install ActiveX controls to see the site or perform certain tasks on it. When you visit such a site, Internet Explorer asks if you want to install the ActiveX control.
You should only install ActiveX controls if you have information about the Web site that offers the control and the publisher that created the control
Active X Installer service on the computer should be started, then on Internet Explorer you will get a pop-up that will allow to install this add-on. Follow the steps to start the service.
1. Click Start.
2. Type Services in Start Search.
3. Right click on Active X installer.
4. Click Properties.
5. Set the Startup type to Manual.
6. Click on Start, click OK.
With Windows 7, the ActiveX Installer Service is also used when a user is logged in as a member of the Administrators group. This helps ensure that all users are aware of requests to install ActiveX controls when they visit a Web site that is not part of the Trusted sites zone.

so this to me, at first glance may mean you don't have IE fully installed or working correctly, but maybe wrong, it won't be the first time tbh
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

To me this looks less like a game problem and more like a C# problem. What I'd do in your situation is to check out your redist library inside the game folder and try running DXSETUP.exe, dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe, and xnafx40_redist.msi. I won't promise that it helps but I'm pretty sure that should install the additional libraries that the game relies upon to run.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

must agree with Spidey also on info given, with more info, a better or different one may be right also, but it's not alot to go on either tbh, so is just an informed guess atm

line in question is the first one,

google it, and check answers, it doesn't seem to be game related, more of a system error, a general one with either missing or disabled parts, as the game needs some of these to work correctly, if you don't have them, it throws a random error when asked for it....

but still think the answer given by Spidey above will help more than mine, just going by info given..
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

Hi addchild314

You are missing either Windows Media Player or Internet Explorer. Both of these must be installed and enabled.

You can check this at Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off

Thanks
Elliot
Rahal

Post by Rahal »

Your computer is messed up.
Greedo37

Post by Greedo37 »

Just curious, why would wmp or IE be required to play distant worlds? Or why would you make it a requirement as a developer ?
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

as it use part of these in design, same as many games, instead of redesigning the wheel yourself use what already out there, saves time and money and makes business sense tbh
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

It's an XNA Game Studios 4 thing, I believe. Would it really surprise you if MS hijacked capabilities for its game tools thing from other Windows components?
addchild314

Post by addchild314 »

Not sure how it could be broken; I installed this copy of Win7 on Saturday because Tropico 5 wouldn't run on Win8. I've installed, uninstalled, reinstalled, and repaired every redist that ships with the game. Let me look into WMP/IE... I probably did remove them; I usually do, as I consider them more of a liability than anything...

I really don't like that the framework relies on IE and WMP. That seems... wrong, somehow. Very wrong.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

then a very high percentage of modern games wouldn't work on your machine without it then, as more use it than don't, thats why it's in almost every downloaded and boxed version of a game, cd /dvd / download, they all seem to come with it now days, thats just life in windows now days, you could always try linux or mac, but even going down those paths will lead you back to the same thing, if they emulate it, they will still need the other stuff as well for games to work.
OzoneGrif_slith

Post by OzoneGrif_slith »

Quite a few software won't work correctly without WMP or IE installed sadly.

DW is one of them.
addchild314

Post by addchild314 »

I actually haven't had issue with any other games/software, though admittedly I haven't tested very many on the new installation. But when I checked, IE and WMP were both installed & working. On a whim I removed them both, deleted DW, restarted, reinstalled, restarted, reinstalled DW... and like magic, it worked. IDK, maybe one of the 300 windows updates I just installed went pear shaped and screwed something up.

Whatever the reason, it works now.

Thanks for the help, and I apologize for blaming the devs. This certainly wasn't a QA problem.
davidofga

Post by davidofga »

Hard to tell in Windows 10 if media player 12 is actually installed. Something called direct play is installed. and IE !! seems to be installed. DWU worked fine until the latest updates from MS. If I delete direct play, how do I reinstall it?
David B. Brown
davidofga

Post by davidofga »

Is direct play the new version of media player?
David B. Brown
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

no,, it's the part of (i'll link you)

DirectPlay is a deprecated API that was part of Microsoft's DirectX API. DirectPlay is a network communication library intended for computer game development, although its general nature allows it to be used for other purposes.

Code: Select all

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectPlay

grove music is the windows 10 default player

but also does come with windows 12 media player

but i use the 5K player as my default, and upto yet i've not had any compatibility issue, as all the others are still installed, so anything that needs lets say windows media player, still works, as it's there, even if it's not my default media player

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (91.8 KiB) Viewed 760 times
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

ORIGINAL: davidofga

Hard to tell in Windows 10 if media player 12 is actually installed. Something called direct play is installed. and IE !! seems to be installed. DWU worked fine until the latest updates from MS. If I delete direct play, how do I reinstall it?

uninstall is one thing, installing it back is simple

Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (171.62 KiB) Viewed 760 times
davidofga

Post by davidofga »

javascript:void(powin('post.asp?do=reply&messageID=4361958&toStyle=tm'))

My version of defaults apps under Music has:
Groove Music
RealPlayer
VLC Media Player
I-Tunes

Nothing else
David B. Brown
davidofga

Post by davidofga »

Once I figured out how to reinstall Windows Media Player all is well. Problem solved. Somehow in the flurry of updates of late WMP got deleted. Thanks for your help!
David B. Brown
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

glad your sorted, enjoy the game

Return to “Tech Support”