v1.9.5.1 Public Beta Update Now Available!

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Erik Rutins

v1.9.5.1 Public Beta Update Now Available!

Post by Erik Rutins »

You can download it from the Members Club, Here.

This build has the following changes from 1.9.5.0 (initial release):

CRASH FIXES
- Fixed crash in ship design screen when changing image scaling
- Fixed crash when generating ship designs
- Fixed rare crash in game editor when adding asteroid fields
- Fixed rare crash with fleets
- Fixed rare crash with processing empire messages
- Fixed rare crash when identifying raidable colonies for pirates

BUG FIXES

- Steam Achievements fixed, should be working again now!
- Manually cancelled Deep Cover intelligence missions no longer continue to reveal enemy map for rest of game
- Fixed bug with loading troops when first non-garrisoned troop is too big for troop bay
- Fixed research and ship designs to not auto-update when edit empire in game editor, unless player has ship design automated
- Fixed occasional invisible space monsters
- Ensure empires properly cleared when using existing savegame as galaxy map for new game
- Ensure that ruins with delayed events also getting properly investigated

DISPLAY AND USER INTERFACE

- Reviewed all in-game font scaling and anti-aliasing and reworked font support to take newer Windows operating system scaling into account. Font size and clarity should now be more consistent across all systems.
- Enlarged and clarified fonts: Diplomacy screen, scrolling message list, tutorial screen, cash and income display
- Added Introductory Game button in Start New Game screen, we recommend this as a first game for all new players
- Moved PreWarp tutorial to last based on player feedback

OTHER

- Added a way to disable the intro movie in the Startup.ini file in the DW installation folder. This may help with some startup black screen issues by manually disabling the intro movie.
- Significant performance improvements
- Improved look of in-system background nebula clouds
- Pirates retain protection arrangements for minimum period before cancelling, this should also help with the pre-warp tutorial
- Improved randomness of starting government types in new games (for other empires, when random govt selected)
- Increased maximum event delay to 32000 days (from 10000)
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
nedcorleone1

RE: v1.9.5.1 Public Beta Update Now Available!

Post by nedcorleone1 »

Awesome. Thanks Erik.
Fleshbits

Post by Fleshbits »

How do we apply this to the steam install?
Windows 7 64 bit, i7 930, GTX670, 12 gig DDR 1300
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

Right click on the game in your library, select Properties, then go to the Beta tab. Enable the beta, and it will automatically start downloading.
morelyn

Post by morelyn »

ORIGINAL: Fleshbits

Open Steam, go to your library. Right-click on DW and select properties. Last tab is BETAS, click on that and choose the beta in the drop-down. Done.

Ninja'd! Curses [:@]
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the night.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

Erik - thank you for the quick patch - just a quick comment for future patch descriptions. Now that we can and will be modifying more than just visual and audio candy, it would be very helpful if the patch notes contained a list/reference of any externalized data files that were modified for that particular patch. This became crucial in Space Empires IV and V to help the modding community update their own mods and keep things in sync with the latest patches.

Example from Space Empires V Patch:

Code: Select all

6. Added - "All Shipsets Get 360 Degree Center Firing Point" to Settings.txt. This field adds an
  additional firing point to all shipsets that is directly in the center of the ship and
  fires in a 360 degree arc. This field is mainly used for shipsets that don't have a complete
  firing field for their ships.

For those interested, forum thread link to post with a master list of all my DW mods: Link

Gelatinous Cube

Post by Gelatinous Cube »

Nice list of improvements!
towerbooks3192

Post by towerbooks3192 »

Looks better now but some set-up menus still have some display problems but most of the texts in-game look better on windows 8.1.

Anyone know if DW extended works with this patch?
et ignobiles oblivio
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: Tampa_Gamer

Erik - thank you for the quick patch - just a quick comment for future patch descriptions. Now that we can and will be modifying more than just visual and audio candy, it would be very helpful if the patch notes contained a list/reference of any externalized data files that were modified for that particular patch. This became crucial in Space Empires IV and V to help the modding community update their own mods and keep things in sync with the latest patches.

Example from Space Empires V Patch:

Code: Select all

6. Added - "All Shipsets Get 360 Degree Center Firing Point" to Settings.txt. This field adds an
  additional firing point to all shipsets that is directly in the center of the ship and
  fires in a 360 degree arc. This field is mainly used for shipsets that don't have a complete
  firing field for their ships.

Use WinMerge.

Only the text files need be checked, the ones in the root directory, races and the policy files.

Make a back up of them before applying the patch and then just check those against the new ones.

Easy enough to do and means Elliot can get on with doing more important things [:)]

Darkspire
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

ORIGINAL: towerbooks3192
Anyone know if DW extended works with this patch?

Working fine for me.
Raap

Post by Raap »

Thanks. Performance is certainly much better here on my laptop.
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

ORIGINAL: Darkspire
Use WinMerge.

Only the text files need be checked, the ones in the root directory, races and the policy files.

Make a back up of them before applying the patch and then just check those against the new ones.

Easy enough to do and means Elliot can get on with doing more important things [:)]

Darkspire

Couldn't disagree with you more - Yes, I am only talking about the files that contain externalized data but it isn't all that difficult for a programmer to keep/post a short side list of changed files for a particular patch (more than likely already has it). You would prefer that every modder and potential mod user independently compare dates on all the original files for each patch to determine which ones changed and then spend time conducting diff or blacklining of each file to determine changes. That is hundreds of collective hours wasted by the community each patch - that could be better spent playing, modding and improving the game!

For those interested, forum thread link to post with a master list of all my DW mods: Link

Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Tampa_Gamer,

It's a good suggestion, we'll try to make sure that's part of our change notes.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Raap
Thanks. Performance is certainly much better here on my laptop.

Great to hear - we addressed some major performance bottlenecks during Universe development but found and fixed one particularly huge one that didn't make it in time for the release version, but was in this first update.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
piderman

Post by piderman »

Alright, the new fonts look pretty good. Thanks for that. It appears as though the interface button clicks are still too loud though. Can you please have the volume slider have an effect on them as well?
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

Thank you!
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Atrocities

Post by Atrocities »

ORIGINAL: Morelyn

Open Steam, go to your library. Right-click on DW and select properties. Last tab is BETAS, click on that and choose the beta in the drop-down. Done.

Unfortunately this doesn't work for all STEAM users. I for one do not have the Beta tab in my DWU Properties Tab. :(
It did not auto update either. :( Still release version. Restarted STEAM, and still no update for DWU. Oh well.
nedcorleone1

Post by nedcorleone1 »

ORIGINAL: Atrocities

Unfortunately this doesn't work for all STEAM users. I for one do not have the Beta tab in my DWU Properties Tab. :(

Can confirm. Beta tab is not there. (I'm activated for beta but the tab is no longer visible anymore)
Atrocities

Post by Atrocities »

ORIGINAL: mr_flappypants

ORIGINAL: Atrocities

Can confirm. Beta tab is not there. (I'm activated for beta but the tab is no longer visible anymore)

I sorted the problem. IT was a STEAM Issue. The game did update but STEAM didn't show that the update had been. :D

Looks great. Thank you guys for this patch. It is greatly appreciated.
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

Has reputation been changed to faster recovery times in universe? It seems most of the empires are heroic without doing anything.I just bombard a race to dust and 5 minutes later I am seen as awesome by the other races.

Could we have this be a moddable element.Recovery times and factors as its just not very realistic.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”