Upgrading space Ports

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Gregorovitch55

Upgrading space Ports

Post by Gregorovitch55 »

My original Small Space Space Port has too few docks, so I want to upgrade it.

I have designed a new Large Space Port, and also a medium one, but the retrofit system does not seem to allow me to upgrade it. I've looked on the ships and stations lists, I've looked at the r-click options from the main screen, I've looked on the build buttons on the bottom left window but I can find no option other than to upgrade it to another small space Port version.

What to I have to do to make it a Large Space Port - scrap the old one and build a new one?

[Edit] What I'm having trouble with here is the build size limits and this may be it. Does the design screen tell you you have gone over the build size limit and does it tell you what the build size limit actually is anywhere?
Osito

RE: Upgrading space Ports

Post by Osito »

Is the space port above a colony? Is so, there should be no size limit.

You can see your size limits on the first page of the designs screen at the top.

You should be able to upgrade if you're within the size limit, although I'm not sure why you can't do that through the ships and bases menu. Have you tried ctrl-right clicking on the space port you want to upgrade - sometimes that seems to help.
Osito
Aeson

Post by Aeson »

You should be able to upgrade any type of space port to any other type of space port. However, the option will be greyed out if you do not have the money to pay for the upgrade, which is the first thing I'd check. The next thing that I'd check would be whether or not I really built a space port at the planet - if for whatever reason you built a starbase instead of a space port, you will be unable to upgrade this to a space port, though you can create starbase (or any other base) designs which are functionally identical to space ports instead of scrapping the base.
FirstPappy

Post by FirstPappy »

Playing on Universe, I did not find a way to upgrade an SP from a Small to a Medium. What I did as a work-around was manually upgrade an existing SSP design with all the stuff of an MSP or LSP design but keep it as an SSP and saved it with a new name like SSXL-1. I was then able to access the upgrade in the drop down window that way.
Windows 10 Home 64
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x 3.70Ghz Processor
32 GB Ram
Nvidia GEFORCE GTX1080 w/8 GB
LG 32GK850F 2560x1440
Gregorovitch55

Post by Gregorovitch55 »

Thanks everyone - it suddenly enables me to upgrade it. I think this might be because it was being upgraded to a new version of the small space port, perhaps that stopped me ordering it to become a large space port whilst that was going on.
FireStarterXoX69

Post by FireStarterXoX69 »

When you are retrofitting your space ports keep in mind that if you are in the construction yards window you can't upgrade your small space port to a medium or large one, or I can't anyway. I have to actually select the SP, right click, then tell it to retrofit from that menu.
fierceking

Post by fierceking »

Another cause could be that you don't have enough money to afford the upgrade
Raap

Post by Raap »

I think you need to upgrade to the latest Small Space Port design before you're allowed to upgrade to Medium or Large. Not sure why, but that seems to be my experience.
Gregorovitch55

Post by Gregorovitch55 »

ORIGINAL: Raap

I think you need to upgrade to the latest Small Space Port design before you're allowed to upgrade to Medium or Large. Not sure why, but that seems to be my experience.

That feels like the actual cause to me. I think I tweaked the small port at the same time as I designed the medium and large - hence the one i wanted to upgrade was no longer latest design and would only upgrade after I had retrofitted it.
Flinkebeinchen

Post by Flinkebeinchen »

Right click on your SpacePort, retrofit to the size you want.. small to large, large to small etc.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”