Ship stuck out of fuel

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

neofit

Ship stuck out of fuel

Post by neofit »

One of my destroyers (1/7 of my fleet actually) got stuck in the middle of my system out of fuel. It is slowly trying to reach a refueling station at a speed of 5. Is there any way to resupply it en route?

I just finished the research to build a resupply ship, but reading this forum I understood that it won't help refuel a specific ship in the field. It has to be deployed to on a gas planet, but I already have bases there, so it won't help.

I've tried to do what the Space Empires series allow me to do, fly another ship to its location, put them into their own fleet, they'll share fuel, and voila, but in DW ships in fleet don't share fuel apparently.

So, is my only option "Scrap Ship Immediately" and create a new one? I'm not sure I want to pay 1K maintenance for the years it will take this ship to reach a refueling station.
Jim D Burns

RE: Ship stuck out of fuel

Post by Jim D Burns »

Scrap it or give it to another empire for a small rep boost if you're trying to form a trade agreement or alliance, though it's probably too small to matter.

Edit: Better yet give it to an enemy and let him pay its maintenance lol.

Jim
Ostwindflak

Post by Ostwindflak »

You can do what Jim said, which is the easiest route.

I ran into the same problem, but one of my frigates was really far away from a refueling station. Normally I wouldn't have cared, but of course it had my fleet admiral aboard. I tried to transfer him to another ship, but it wouldn't let me. So I built a resupply ship and brought the resupply ship to my frigate and deployed it so it could refuel and then continue on it's merry way. I didn't want to lose my admiral. [:)]
neofit

Post by neofit »

ORIGINAL: Ostwindflak

I ran into the same problem, but one of my frigates was really far away from a refueling station. Normally I wouldn't have cared, but of course it had my fleet admiral aboard. I tried to transfer him to another ship, but it wouldn't let me. So I built a resupply ship and brought the resupply ship to my frigate and deployed it so it could refuel and then continue on it's merry way. I didn't want to lose my admiral. [:)]
Can you deploy a resupply ship anywhere now? Or does it have to be on an energy source? If it's the latter it won't help, all my sources have mining stations on them already and it can't reach them. Funny thing, it started going after a gas giant, then figured out its rotation speed was faster than his and went the other way, trying for the home planet on its revolution going towards it.
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

I love these types of situations, a ship or maybe a squadron of ships runs out of gas in the distant galaxy during a war and unable to be reached by a resupply ship; it has to return home slowly facing the dangers of deep space all alone for tens of years. Makes for great side stories for an AAR. I like to honor the ships that make it back, much as the way the US keeps the Constitution commissioned, i keep these old obsolete ships commissioned; around as a symbol of my people and my fleet for all to see.
pkoko

Post by pkoko »

Why cant DW have a ship class of fuel transport or tanker? Anyway to design such a ship?
pycco

Post by pycco »

constructors work, ships can fly without fuel just at a lower speed.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
-Mark Twain
Mansen

Post by Mansen »

ORIGINAL: pycco

constructors work, ships can fly without fuel just at a lower speed.

This would be the solution with the current mechanics - if the hyperdrive is shot and the ship doesn't have self repair modules that work, a constructor can warp in, repair the drive and let the ship slog back to the nearest fuel point at a reduced warp speed.

Would be great if you could have the resupply ship fly there and deploy though - offer up a bit of fuel from its cargo bay from another system if there is no Caslon/Hydrogen here. [:(]
Currently Working On:
X-Universe Conversion (Hiatus)
Seraph86

Post by Seraph86 »

haha, reminds me of a situation i had 2 days ago.

i started as a prewarp empire and tried to optimze everything myself, meaning no construction ships on auto of course....i even found an alien colony ship as an event in one of the starting ruins. used it right away. approximately 1.5 - 2 hours later if found a indiependant colony nearby, used the alien colony ship and tried to farm some resources. suddenly i got spammed that i had some resource shortages and couldn't construct some mines or build some ships. i saw my construction ships which had the precursor warpdrive crawling send them to refuel. build with one of my last resources on the 2nd colony an construction and exploration ship, didn't had warp-tech yet. suddenly the new ships warned me they needed refuel. also the new explo ship on my homeworld needed refuel...i was wondering why, i just had build it...why...i looked at the expansion planner to see my stock of caslon and found out that by all the micromanagement the order to build a caslon mining base was still queued up and so i had no source of caslon yet x'D. making things worse, an adrift exploration ship found the boskara sitting 2 stars next to me and within the next 5 minutes i got the galactic new saying that the silvermist destroyed some star systems 1-2 sectors next to me....time to restart^^.
willgamer

Post by willgamer »

ORIGINAL: Unforeseen

I love these types of situations, a ship or maybe a squadron of ships runs out of gas in the distant galaxy during a war and unable to be reached by a resupply ship; it has to return home slowly facing the dangers of deep space all alone for tens of years. Makes for great side stories for an AAR. I like to honor the ships that make it back, much as the way the US keeps the Constitution commissioned, i keep these old obsolete ships commissioned; around as a symbol of my people and my fleet for all to see.

The Lost Fleet Series, by Jack Campbell

One of my favs, book 10 is now out... [:D]
Rex Lex or Lex Rex?
Lucian

Post by Lucian »

ORIGINAL: pkoko

Why cant DW have a ship class of fuel transport or tanker? Anyway to design such a ship?

Very good question. A tanker would be logical in this game universe and I would love to see it implemented. I'm pretty sure it cant be done at the moment though, you could design an unarmed ship with large fuel stores but there is no way (I know of) to transfer fuel between ships.

How about it devs? fuel tankers would add an extra layer of depth to fleet design and would be a great strategic target in combat, especially if the fleet is designed to heavily rely on them (if the combat ships have low fuel reserves to pack more weapons in).

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”