Will new modding capabilities be added to DW:U in future patches?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Shogouki

Will new modding capabilities be added to DW:U in future patches?

Post by Shogouki »

Now that DW:U is out and I've done some reading on the modding capabilities I was wondering if more modding capabilities will be added in the future? I had hoped to be able to modify just about anything in the game (Similar to the Elder Scrolls modding capabilities) but it seems there is still quite a bit that can't be done within the limits of the mod tools. Is there any possibility that we could eventually add new diplomacy negotiation types, new special abilities for components, or new technology functionality?

Just wanted to add that this isn't a complaint, I realize that DW wasn't created with limitless modding tools in mind and just wanted to know what to expect or not.

And if you're taking ideas for DW2 already I would totally be blown away if you could make it with mod tools similar in capability to the Elder Scrolls games. I'm pretty sure I could lose hundreds of hours to that alone!

Anyways thank you!
Unforeseen

RE: Will new modding capabilities be added to DW:U in future patches?

Post by Unforeseen »

Eeeehhhh just don't overdo it ok? The Elder Scrolls is a bad example because of how easily the game breaks when you mod it.
joeyeti

Post by joeyeti »

I doubt anything substantial will yet be possible to be modded. There might be some details here and there if the dev team finds time and there are good suggestions from the community, but as this is a wrapping release, I presume that apart from required patches they will mostly concentrate on DW2.
Joe
Osito

Post by Osito »

ORIGINAL: joeyeti

I doubt anything substantial will yet be possible to be modded. There might be some details here and there if the dev team finds time and there are good suggestions from the community, but as this is a wrapping release, I presume that apart from required patches they will mostly concentrate on DW2.

There have been hints here and there that they might do one more release for DW, so you never know...
Osito
Malorn

Post by Malorn »

Please yes, more access for modders. Especially access to basic values, such as maximum population, growth rates, empire research potential, even the pirate bonuses. These small things would make a massive difference in how much the game can be modded. [8D]
ORIGINAL: Unforeseen
Eeeehhhh just don't overdo it ok? The Elder Scrolls is a bad example because of how easily the game breaks when you mod it.

You mean the part where the game has a huge lifespan, with a massive modding community and huge game expansion projects? As for breaking . . . that's more which mods you install, and how capable you are of interweaving them. Running a lot of mods on Elder Scrolls requires some actual talent, but it's quite doable with the right tools--tools which have been provided by aforementioned massive modding community.

If you're interested, send me a PM, and I'd be happy to discuss some of them and point you toward some sites that will make modding a lot more stable.
Shogouki

Post by Shogouki »

Yeah, I'm not expecting them to necessarily give more functionality to the mod tools I just thought I'd ask. Though if its possible for DW2 I would be ecstatic to be able to have such powerful mod tools.
Shogouki

Post by Shogouki »

Any answer on this topic yet? Will gladly accept a maybe. [:D]

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”