Map font/color

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

thebigJA

Map font/color

Post by thebigJA »

Hi. I just picked up DW Universe on Steam (after having contemplating buying it for a long time and being put off by the price and all the expansions. Bundling it up like this got the devs one sale, at least!)

As I'm running through the tutorials, one thing immediately sticks out to me: the font. It's tiny everywhere, but the bigger problem to me is on the map itself. Things are labeled either in dark gray or the same color as the empire controlling the area, so it blends into the background (Most especially so in the case of the "capitol" planet). You've got thin blue letters on a blue background, green on green, etc. and dark gray on everything else.

I installed Das Chrome, which I like, but doesn't touch the fonts. I'm not even necessarily asking for bigger or different letters in the whole game(though If I could install like a truetype replacement that'd be sweet). I just want to be able to read the map.

Cheers.
Hannable

RE: Map font/color

Post by Hannable »

One thing you can do is go to Darkspire's repository and download the "dark map" file. What this does is make the galaxy backdrop completely black (no varying colors). You can decide whether you want to leave the nebula clouds on the map just for effect.

The black background makes map names SO much easier to read as it is unlikely the font size is going to be changed any time soon.
"Only one human captain has survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else." - Delenn of Minbar
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: thebigJ_A

Hi. I just picked up DW Universe on Steam (after having contemplating buying it for a long time and being put off by the price and all the expansions. Bundling it up like this got the devs one sale, at least!)

As I'm running through the tutorials, one thing immediately sticks out to me: the font. It's tiny everywhere, but the bigger problem to me is on the map itself. Things are labeled either in dark gray or the same color as the empire controlling the area, so it blends into the background (Most especially so in the case of the "capitol" planet). You've got thin blue letters on a blue background, green on green, etc. and dark gray on everything else.

I installed Das Chrome, which I like, but doesn't touch the fonts. I'm not even necessarily asking for bigger or different letters in the whole game(though If I could install like a truetype replacement that'd be sweet). I just want to be able to read the map.

Cheers.

There are a few other backgrounds in the broom cupboard, links in my signature.

Darkspire
thebigJA

Post by thebigJA »

Thanks guys/gals, I'll see what's what. :)

Return to “Design and Modding”