Worst start ever?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

xatharas

Worst start ever?

Post by xatharas »

Hi, I bought the game today and decided to watch an automated game for a while te see what needed to be done (I watched a few let's plays too). I created a galaxy with 1400 stars and 15*15 sectors. I started with 19 random enemies in a prewarp setting and to my surprise (I never saw that in the let's play's, and they were playing on a smaller map) I was not alone in my system! The Mortalu were there an aggressive reptilian race! So war started in less then four months! If that happens when I'm playing myself tomorrow I'll dump this game faster then I bought it.

But maybe it's just my luck [&:]

does this happen often on the larger maps?
Tree Dog

RE: Worst start ever?

Post by Tree Dog »

It happens once in a while, just bad luck. Or good luck. Mortalen can colonize desert planets, it's handy.
You can also get aliens on your homeworld, rarely.

You can avoid that "easily", but you need to add the 19 empires and customize them yourself so they're all "nearby", "average" or "distant".
Whydmer

Post by Whydmer »

It happens sometimes. Overall it is pretty rare. I wouldn't count it against the game itself though, it is just a random element. There are a couple of parameters you can set in custom games that I believe forces some more spread, or you can just restart and see what happens.

Or you can go into the game editor and just remove them (and the offending planet if you like).

You have a lot of choices.
pycco

Post by pycco »

ya it happens you can easily beat them and have 2 HW in one system giving you a huge edge.

tech to nukes ,basic hyper drive,troop carriers. make troops and nuke ships about 5-10 ships. nuke the world en tell you have more troop strength then invade.

@treedog that does not always work, if playing in prewarp an (Indy) race can be there. usaly its the same race as you
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
-Mark Twain
xatharas

Post by xatharas »

thx for the quick replies guys.
It's just my bad luck then that it happened on the very first game I started.
Next time I won't automate anything so I can only hope I'll be alone then!

Before I forget, to the creators: great game (I wanted to buy it long before this but I didn't have that much money!) and looking forward to sart playing for real (so I can finally stop playing master of Orion ;) )
randal7

Post by randal7 »

After reading this thread I tried to set myself up a game with another race's homeworld in my home system, using the manual settings (I have Shadows, haven't upgraded yet). Couldn't get it to work through about 12-15 tries. I even tried with two races set to same system. The closest result I got was two adjacent systems with homeworlds. Is there a trick to this I am missing or is the "same system" option broken?
malkuth74

Post by malkuth74 »

when I first tried out universe I decided to test the AI in shadows game, by doing the Accept protection, wait to leave.. Cancel. Well that did not work out very well, the minute I cancelled the treaty they instantly warped back in and wrecked everything. LOL. At this point game over, because now for protection it would cost me more then I made and everytime I built something they warped in, wrecked.

Lesson learned.
Osito

Post by Osito »

Yeah, as pycco suggests, this can be a good thing, as you should be able to beat them and take their planet and population :-)

Incidentally, there are options in the setup, if you add the races individually, to set them to be distant from you, if you want plenty of time to get on by yourself.
Osito
pycco

Post by pycco »

ORIGINAL: randal7

After reading this thread I tried to set myself up a game with another race's homeworld in my home system, using the manual settings (I have Shadows, haven't upgraded yet). Couldn't get it to work through about 12-15 tries. I even tried with two races set to same system. The closest result I got was two adjacent systems with homeworlds. Is there a trick to this I am missing or is the "same system" option broken?

its a random event, i get it 3-20 starts. my settings are usually random distance from me, prewarp . it is not another set empire it is a indy (that just got into space) race starting in your system with you. imo it is a reference to a movie or show cant remember which one, a lot of scfi material have touched on this subject of more than one sentient species in one solar system and how it would play out.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
-Mark Twain
elanaagain

Post by elanaagain »

I started one game (prewarp) where my home system did not have enough planets/moons/asteroids to mine just to get constructors to mine.. deaad end. Happen sometimes. Mostly - the starts are viable but challenging. i like ti that way.
USA = Corporatist Serfdom of America: free range surf technology

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”