Distant Worlds Reviews

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Whydmer

RE: Distant Worlds Reviews

Post by Whydmer »

Great review.
This line though left me confused:
In order to solve past annoyances with too much fuel micromanagement we can now set the % of fuel to which ships will refuel and get back to the fleet automatically. This is a VERY important implementation.

We can set the % of fuel to which ships will refuel?  Have I missed that some place?
adamsolo

Post by adamsolo »

I clarified that in my review. I forgot to mention that ships will refuel before attacking only when their fleet is automated. You can set the % that tells how much fuel a fleet must possess before embarking in an attack campaign. Sorry for the confusion.
SpaceSector.com
Your source for Space & Sci-Fi Strategy Games
Evrett

Post by Evrett »

I would suggest readers take any reviews by Spacesector with a serious grain of salt. They let personal feelings for a game rule the review, leave out details that dont support their opinions and do not allow feedback they feel is "too harsh" to be posted in the comments section. Just my experience, yours my vary.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" - Ronald Reagan
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Gelatinous Cube »

No, no.. Space Sector's okay. Just remember that it's not a paid outfit, it's mostly just Adam Solo. As far as I know. I use them to get a decent second or third opinion of games I'm unsure about.
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

Honestly, you should take everything in the internet with grain and salt, if you take my meaning. [:)]
I personally agree a lot with Adams review. I'd probably give Legends something between 9.2 and 9.5 or 4 and 4.5 stars.

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."
adamsolo

Post by adamsolo »

ORIGINAL: Evrett

I would suggest readers take any reviews by Spacesector with a serious grain of salt. They let personal feelings for a game rule the review, leave out details that dont support their opinions and do not allow feedback they feel is "too harsh" to be posted in the comments section. Just my experience, yours my vary.
Thanks a lot Evrett. I really appreciate your help. I wonder who is reviewing who's work with personal feelings along the way.

And if your comment didn't eventualy got through once I can assure you that you're on the 0.0000006% of cases where I needed to block a comment. I don't have pleasure blocking a comment unless yes, it is offensive, pointless and driven by personal feelings about a game leaving out details that don't support the opinion. I may have blocked 2 or 3 comments total in my blog, now I see from whom it was (probably once or twice of the three cases). So, congratulations.

Anyhow peace Evrett, have a nice day [:)]
SpaceSector.com
adamsolo

Post by adamsolo »

ORIGINAL: Gelatinous Cube

No, no.. Space Sector's okay. Just remember that it's not a paid outfit, it's mostly just Adam Solo. As far as I know. I use them to get a decent second or third opinion of games I'm unsure about.
I'll work harder so that one day I may deserve your first opinion GC ;)
SpaceSector.com
Evrett

Post by Evrett »

Not interested in going back and forth with you Adam since that isnt what this thread is about. And nothing personal - I just want to clear out bad, no research, PR kit only journalism from the gaming industry and steer customers away from sites like that. But here is what you wrote. Of note my comment was posted BEFORE release of said game. If you had allowed "unfair" opinions you might have saved your readers money and time. You also blocked and didn't respond to my repost of said comment after the game was released as buggy and incomplete as I warned. Obviously your "respect" for readers of Spacesector doesn't include transparency on your own mistakes, let alone developers. Next time have some respect for your readers and let them decide.

Sent 9/8/11

Hi Evrett,

I'm writing to you in response to a comment you submitted to SpaceSector.com (below)
[blockquote]«Another softball PR advertisement…when are people going to ask real questions like will Sots 2 be as messy as Kerberos’ last product release, FZ. How about “we’ve waited a year+ now for the promised patch for ANY – is a year between patches going to be standard for Sots2? Or Born of Blood was released without a functioning AI for the hallmark race – will all races be released with AIs or will sots 2 be multiplayer only ? Has kerberos learn anything from its past mistakes and if so how are those lessons reflected in the current make up of the team?»
[/blockquote] I was analysing your comment just now and although I have approved all non-spam comments before there's something about this comment that is, how should I put it, too negative not to say unfair.

I'm not very knowledgable of SOTS and Kerberos' past, I confess that. SOTS was not a game I played much because it is too abstract for my taste. That being said, I think your comment is unnecessarily violent.

The part when you say "softball PR advertisement" did not contributed to my decision to reject your comment. It's not what I and Zach meant so we are not offended by that.

First of all, you start by talking about FZ and Kerberos. The post is about Sword of the Stars 2, and while SOTS2 is of course a kerberos production I think it's unfair to generalize things.

Second, point you mention SotS patches as rare. Even with my limited knowledge of SOTS (due to what I already explained above) I made a quick search and I saw lot's of patches for Sword of the Stars. So I don't know how fair are you being since you seem somehow unease with FZ so I don't know if you're saying that about SOTS, FZ or all.

Third, you're mentioning mistakes of Kerberos. Who doesn't make mistakes? You perhaps?

I was close to accept your comment because I'm all in favor of discussing all points of view but your's was just too far and probably is not even that fair.

I think the fact that I replied to you and the fact I explained you why I didn't approve your comment is enough to prove that I care and respect all SpaceSector.com readers, even the ones how make violent and unfair comments and with whom I disagree with.

Cheers
Adam Solo
Admin of SpaceSector: http://www.spacesector.com
"Your source for Sci-Fi and Space Strategy Games"

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" - Ronald Reagan
adamsolo

Post by adamsolo »

I have no time to lose with you Evrett, I really don't. I'm sorry you got offended with me blocking your comment (it's true, I only did that 2 or 3 times) but sometimes we need to make tough decisions. If you're on a personal vendetta crusade against me fine. I really don't care you paste here private conversations since I have nothing to hide to anybody but let's just discuss this elsewhere. If there's anything to discuss really.
SpaceSector.com
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi Evrett and Adam,

I think this is best discussed in private messages or e-mail rather than in this thread. It's clear you have a disagreement, but I'm not clear on how this is helping you resolve it.

I will say that Adam has always seemed like a fair reviewer and a decent guy to me and it's clear that he actually played through each release of Distant Worlds thoroughly before reviewing it, which is much more than I can say for some reviews we've had on our games in the past.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
the1sean

Post by the1sean »

I have to say that until I read this review I had never visited Space Sector before, but overall I think that Adam Solo's review of Distant Worlds: Legends was really on the mark.
Veloxi

Post by Veloxi »

I hope you guys will enjoy my lengthy review as well. :)

http://www.spacegamejunkie.com/series/d ... ds-review/

Thanks!
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi Veloxi,

"I have to admit, right here and now, that Distant Worlds – Legends has dethroned Imperium Galactica II as my favorite 4X of all time ever in the history of anything. I was having a grand time moving ships around the galaxy in the early days of my “career”, but when I opened the game up and began taking on more responsibility, I was given one of the best rides I had ever had in gaming, period."

Thanks, that is huge praise and much appreciated! Very glad you are having fun.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Veloxi

Post by Veloxi »

Completely my pleasure. :)
Gareth_Bryne

Post by Gareth_Bryne »

I'm sorry for being a Necromonger[:)], but DW:U needs all the reviews from major sites it can get. Link any review you can find here and SPREAD THE WORD!!!
"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts," - Londo Mollari
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

Agreed Gareth. Getting the game on Steam has been fantastic but reviews on major sites or high subscriber based YouTube personalities are still needed ...
Gareth_Bryne

Post by Gareth_Bryne »

For the moment Metacritic holds 12 user reviews with a 7.8 score (2 negative[:@]), no critic reviews[:@]...
Space Sector describes us comprehensively.
Rockpapershotgun has noted our existence.
The Gamefaqs board for DW:U is dead.
Gamespot.com is silent, so is Eurogamer, IGN, PC Gamer and Game Informer...
"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts," - Londo Mollari
dejagore

Post by dejagore »

It's even better. Adam Smith at RockPaperShotgun wrote his 'Wot I Think: Distant Worlds - Universe' article. Let me just put one quote in here :
No tease before the jump here, let’s get straight to it. Distant Worlds: Universe is my favourite space strategy game. Not my favourite space strategy game released this week and not my favourite space strategy game released this year. It’s the definitive version of the best space strategy game I’ve ever played

I hope it will make more people willing to buy this awesome game and DW:U will be back in steam top 10 this weekend [:)]
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

The coverage on major gaming sites remains essentially non-existent.

Lucky it's on Steam.
Gareth_Bryne

Post by Gareth_Bryne »

Hurray! IGN Italia has given us a 79!!! A first critic review!!!

Here's the link!

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”