A question if it is possible after ancient galaxy

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

towerbooks3192

A question if it is possible after ancient galaxy

Post by towerbooks3192 »

I have a question since the use of old maps have been implemented. Is it possible to play a custom ancient galaxy game then after you finish that game, you can reload the map of that game to a shadows game and all of the ship graveyards will be where abouts huge battles took place and the ancient ruins other than the preset 2 at the beginning of the game would be where the colonies are when you played the ancient galaxy?
et ignobiles oblivio
Osito

RE: A question if it is possible after ancient galaxy

Post by Osito »

You could certainly load the map from the ancient galaxy and play it in the age of shadows with the default theme, but I don't think you will have ship graveyards and ruins in the places you mentioned. You could edit them to be in these positions before you started the game. And you could edit the starting positions of the races to be at the positions you wanted them.
Osito
towerbooks3192

Post by towerbooks3192 »

I wish it would be like this though. Editing it would be like spoiling the surprise but then again I reckon I would still randomise stuff though even with the same map.
et ignobiles oblivio
Spacecadet

Post by Spacecadet »

Well, the thing is, if you play the AG Theme again it's not going to play out the same way, so major battles are going to be in different places.

If you look at it this way, then where ever the Ship graveyards appear in a generated game could be the reflection of one of those results - an alternate Universe/Reality if you will.

I've played the AG Theme many times, and it's not the same, even knowing pretty much what's going to happen, things fall out differently.

CPU: Intel 2700K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GTX 970
Res: 1920 x 1200

Raap

Post by Raap »

This would require the game to log where battles take place, how many and what type of ships got destroyed, then create fitting wreckage for those. There's no support for this in the game to my knowledge, and adding it would probably be a fairly large task that would get in way of other improvements and additions.
towerbooks3192

Post by towerbooks3192 »

ORIGINAL: Spacecadet

Well, the thing is, if you play the AG Theme again it's not going to play out the same way, so major battles are going to be in different places.

If you look at it this way, then where ever the Ship graveyards appear in a generated game could be the reflection of one of those results - an alternate Universe/Reality if you will.

I've played the AG Theme many times, and it's not the same, even knowing pretty much what's going to happen, things fall out differently.

Well that is one way to look at it. Does the universe for ancient age randomly generate or what? What made me kind of asked this question was that I want to start from Ancient as anyone, go to war with Shakturi and see how it goes then play with a usual shadows game. I want to see at least some continuity or something from a game to another.

I need to rack up some experience first as I was more comfortable with shadow starts than classics and it is what really made me not dive in to DW since pre shadows due to having things already set-up. I want things to be really random and not preset.
et ignobiles oblivio
Spacecadet

Post by Spacecadet »

Custom game start will allow you to enable/disable pretty much everything (outside of AG)

If you look through this thread you'll see the setup screens and options for doing a custom game, it'll give you an idea of what's possible :

tm.asp?m=3611030

[Spoiler Alert]

AG is fairly fixed, at least location and size wise.
AI behavior, Random Events, and so forth will generally lead to different outcomes though.

towerbooks3192

Post by towerbooks3192 »

Just a question. Tech-wise, can I have the techs in AG in a custom shadows game? If so, how?
et ignobiles oblivio
Spacecadet

Post by Spacecadet »

The expanded Techs you'd have to Mod in I believe, I think I saw on here somewhere where Elliot mentioned that.

If I come across it again I'll link it.

towerbooks3192

Post by towerbooks3192 »

Cheers! I saw it somewhere but couldnt get what they were saying. I remember something like we need to edit the galaxy events or something.

Side question: How do I know how far ahead of tech I am compared to my opponents?
et ignobiles oblivio
Spacecadet

Post by Spacecadet »

ORIGINAL: towerbooks3192

Cheers! I saw it somewhere but couldnt get what they were saying. I remember something like we need to edit the galaxy events or something.

Side question: How do I know how far ahead of tech I am compared to my opponents?

There's not a simple way, but the best indication is when you go to the Diplomacy Screen.

If you have good enough relations where they're willing to trade Techs with you, you can compare what they have and what you have.

Not simple, but it's the only way outside of going into the the Editor and digging around - which is also not simple for comparison.

Elrohir525

Post by Elrohir525 »

ORIGINAL: Spacecadet

ORIGINAL: towerbooks3192

There's not a simple way, but the best indication is when you go to the Diplomacy Screen.

If you have good enough relations where they're willing to trade Techs with you, you can compare what they have and what you have.

Not simple, but it's the only way outside of going into the the Editor and digging around - which is also not simple for comparison.

Probably the best way to see how your technology compares to the other empires/pirates is to use the "steal research" mission with an intelligence agent. As you prepare to do this mission, the drop-down list of Techs available to steal will show most of the technologies they have that you don't (it excludes those with prerequisite Techs you lack).
Spacecadet

Post by Spacecadet »

Yeah, I forgot about that one, it will work even if your relations aren't great.

towerbooks3192

Post by towerbooks3192 »

I never thought about using subterfuge. I only concern myself with stealing techs when I am starting out as most things I need early on like ship size and shields on the same tab.
et ignobiles oblivio

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”