Will you be playing this on Steam?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Algon

RE: Will you be playing this on Steam?

Post by Algon »

ORIGINAL: Breet

You cannot backup with steam?
Um, you can, method a is using the 'backup and restore' game/s option, Method B is just copying the damn folder somewhere else.
Backing up the files is not the same as backing up an installer. See below.
As for restinalling w/o? I do that with a few games. Distant worlds included (yes, you can, as people have said in this thread. Just make a shortcut to the distantworlds.exe file and you don't need to run steam again if you don't want to, hell move the folder out and delete steam, it will work, I copied my dw to my laptop that doesn't have steam on it and it works fine.
This is called a workaround or kludge - other terms may apply for your particular location.

An installer often performs more functions than simply copying files. In the event that you need to reinstall a game, it's not the preferred method, and is not guaranteed to work - e.g. if a game has registry entries which are used by the game for certain functions. It probably works for DW, but I wouldn't want to bet on it. I sure wouldn't want to bet on it for a AAA title, even if there was no other DRM present.
ORIGINAL: Tree Dog

Matrix uses evil DRM, I tried installing DW to DW:S without their installers, but I couldn't. It's good their evil monopoly on DW installations finally ended.

When I purchase a game from an online store such as Matrix (or steam), I clearly need to be online at the time (obvious; because 'online' store.) However, once I have completed my purchase, and have downloaded the installer, I never need to be connected to the internet ever again, no matter how many new machines I get, or how often I need to reinstall.

Compare with a game purchased from steam, without relying on workarounds such as the above one.
Tree Dog

Post by Tree Dog »

ORIGINAL: Algon

When I purchase a game from an online store such as Matrix (or steam), I clearly need to be online at the time (obvious; because 'online' store.) However, once I have completed my purchase, and have downloaded the installer, I never need to be connected to the internet ever again, no matter how many new machines I get, or how often I need to reinstall.

Compare with a game purchased from steam, without relying on workarounds such as the above one.

You don't need Steam to play many of the games available on its store. DW:U is one of them.
You can just copy/paste the folder to another computer without the need for an installer if you want.
Algon

Post by Algon »

ORIGINAL: Tree Dog
ORIGINAL: Algon

You don't need Steam to play many of the games available on its store. DW:U is one of them.
Which is why I argued about 'installation', not about 'playing'. [:D]
You can just copy/paste the folder to another computer without the need for an installer if you want.
I addressed that argument above. It's a kludge. Not guaranteed to work. Don't believe me? Ask Valve themselves whether they officially support you being able to do that (I.e. provide support in the event that your game suffers from a technical issue after having done that. I can confidently predict that the answer will be 'no'.) Edit: Note that I am talking complete reinstallation of a game, not replacing corrupt files in a current install.

Just because you can find a way to avoid a form of DRM doesn't make it any less DRM. Just ineffective (for certain games.) [:)]

Let me make something clear. I don't care whether you like steam or use steam. All I'm doing is getting a definition right, I'm not trying to stop you from using (or liking) steam.
Athelas2211

Post by Athelas2211 »

I bought it now that its Steam available, wouldn't do it otherwise. I bought it on matrix store, but emailed serial doesnt work on steam?
playing RTS, strategy and RPG games from ...ever?
Osito

Post by Osito »

ORIGINAL: athelas.loraiel

I bought it now that its Steam available, wouldn't do it otherwise. I bought it on matrix store, but emailed serial doesnt work on steam?

Yeah, that confused me at first, but the key they send you by email isn't the Steam key, it's the Matrix key. To get the Steam key, you have to follow the instructions on the sticky on the front page "Redeem your free Steam key:

tm.asp?m=3615511

Osito

Osito
Athelas2211

Post by Athelas2211 »

nuts.
like Indiana Jiones srarchig for the grail.-
playing RTS, strategy and RPG games from ...ever?
stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 »

Absolutely not. Matrix download and the physical copy is on its' way.
OttoVonBlotto

Post by OttoVonBlotto »

And no steam here either I don't need or want anything to do with steam and if it was only way to play the game I wouldn't play it.
"Personal isn't the same as important"
gyrospeck

Post by gyrospeck »

I got my steam key and will likely play it on that platform. I recognize steams faults, but I also appreciate its services. I also have a Matrix non-DRM installer backed up, but I'll likely only use it if I cannot access steam. I love the option of DRM-free, but I also like steam features/community. I guess I'm torn. Anyway...

Thanks Matrix for offering me both versions for the same price. Not many games allow that and I appreciate it.
Flinkebeinchen

Post by Flinkebeinchen »

The Steam Forum explodes! I try to help out there but I can't keep track on all those new posts popping up :(
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: Flinkebeinchen

The Steam Forum explodes! I try to help out there but I can't keep track on all those new posts popping up :(

I registered but never got the email for verification for the account, I suspect having read through on the support on there I need to install the Steam app, it will be a cold day in hell when that happens so unfortunately if folks want help I can only do what I can on here.

Darkspire
Spacecadet

Post by Spacecadet »

ORIGINAL: Darkspire

ORIGINAL: Flinkebeinchen

I registered but never got the email for verification for the account, I suspect having read through on the support on there I need to install the Steam app, it will be a cold day in hell when that happens so unfortunately if folks want help I can only do what I can on here.

Darkspire

Yeah, you have to install the Steam client to sent the email verification.

CPU: Intel 2700K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GTX 970
Res: 1920 x 1200

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”