Remove old versions after install of Universe?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

henri51

Remove old versions after install of Universe?

Post by henri51 »

I installed Universe (used my tickets) and it seems to work OK. Should I now remove the old versions of Distant Worlds, or are they required for Universe to work? Is Universe a complete game containing all the others?

Henri
Hotschi

RE: Remove old versions after install of Universe?

Post by Hotschi »

From the product page;
The entire Distant Worlds series in one package!

As I understand it, you can remove the old Version.
"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.
DrWolfsherz

Post by DrWolfsherz »

Get rid of them. Universe is the whole package in one.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

You need the old versions if you want to play old mods, or experience the true feeling of earlier versions :)
henri51

Post by henri51 »

Thanks. I found that if you activate the game on Steam using the Steam key(instructions elsewhere on this forum), you then have 2 copies of the game, one in Steam and one in the Matrix folder. so I removed both the old ones and the new one from the Matrix folder because I will play the game on Steam. To put the game on Steam, Once you have the Steam key, you go into Steam and on the "games" menu press "activate game" and after you input the key, Steam will download the game ready to play.

Bingeling I thought the buttons on the Universe menu to play the older versions (classical etc) were the same as the earlier versions with the same "feelings". Is there any difference?
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

It plays the old storylines, but vanilla had no research tree, Legends came with zones of influence, and various UI things have appeared in various expansion (hard to remember when).

Of course, the game is better with the new UI stuff...

And you can always reinstall the old ones as long as you got your keys (and installers).

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”